Swinging the ball

Swinging the ball

Hey everyone,

Ive gornw up my whole life bowling outswing but now that im older and with a bit more pace im starting to cut the ball inwards all the time. It's not that bad because i bowl wide of off-stump trying to get the batsmen driving and bring it back through the gate but i tend to drag it down leg-side alot aswell. Jut wondering if my action or wrist position affects this. I dont feel like ive changed anything just cant swing the ball out anymore!!

Re: Swinging the ball

How do you hold the ball? I'm not an expert on swinging it alot, but usually the position for an outswinger should be different to that of an off cutter and your hand action should be too.

You need to get back to the basic grip for the outswinger. I reckon that in trying to bowl to cut inwards, you are moving your hand over the ball, instead of running the fingers down the seam.

I don't swing it out, just swing in and cut in, but anyway He may be doing what kallis does by rolling his fingers like an off cutter down the seam to keep seam up right but he may be relasing it at a funny angle with the wrist that is turning it into an off cutter...

Just get the ball up there to see whether you are swinging it or not.

If you aren't then at leat you can use your cutter as a fall on weapon.

Perhaps try bowling with a swing king they always help you swing the ball again.

I'm not an expert either, but I find that a small change in finger position can turn an outswinger into an off-cutter.
Ensure your middle finger isn't any further from the seam than your index finger, you might be accidentally bowling quick off-spin; I used to do it a lot with my quicker ball when young. (Likewise, if the index finger gets further from the seam you might find you accidentally bowl leg-cutters. All handy skills once you learn to control them.)

Or this could all just be a freak of my particular grip and action - so if nothing changes in a hurry, or more knowledgeable people say I'm speaking out my (I won't use a potentially censored word here, but it rhymes with "pass") discard everything in this post.

There are about 20 different ways to make the ball swing. The trick is to keep trying things until you find what works. Some people have success with ways that other people find impossible.

If your trying to bowl to fast then you won't swing the ball so what I think you should do is to bowl in the nets at a medium pace and get the outswing working then when you get it bowl quicker until you get to your normal pace, this helped me a while ago.

Extreme Pace;330459 said:
If your trying to bowl to fast then you won't swing the ball so what I think you should do is to bowl in the nets at a medium pace and get the outswing working then when you get it bowl quicker until you get to your normal pace, this helped me a while ago.
I wouldnt necessarily agree with that, though in most cases it will hold true. Certainly if you are allowing a quest for all-out pace to affect your action it will most likely sto you from swinging the ball. However, more pace without a change in action will not stop the ball swinging.
I do agree that if trying to swing the ball, concentrate on your action, grip, etc, and not so much on pace. Once the ball is swinging at medium pace, you can then try to ramp it up. Personally, I only started swinging the ball when I was bowling a little quicker - but that was because other parts of the action came together at a slightly higher pace (plus that was at the same time that I started concentrating more on wrist position).
I still was not, and never have been, fast; but the extra effort actually corrected my action in some respects, to bowl slightly more upright, bring the arm through straighter, etc.

Back