Tell us your funniest cricketing story...

Jaffa

Tell us your funniest cricketing story...

You always hear the old blokes talk about funny stories that take place on the cricketing field. Some are about dirty tactics, some are acts of brilliance and some are just ironic or "million to one" chances.

Tell us your cricket tale, along with the league it happened in.

I've got a couple... One time there was this match in Ballarat where a father and son were playing on the one team. The son was umpiring at the time while the dad was batting. Anyway, the dad got hit on the pads and the opposition went up and so did the sons finger. Gave him out and the dad was livid! Late on in the innings, the son was still umpiring and one of the batsmen went out. Realising he was batting in a wickets time, he ran off the field to get ready. As he was gathering his helmet, the cry of “catch it!.. yeah!!” was heard from the field. The bowler was on a hat-trick and the boy was in. As he strolled out to the crease, he noticed his dad was umpiring and as he walked past, gave his son a deathly grin. The son took middle, faced up, the bowler came in, struck the son on the pad outside the line and going past leg. Before the bowler could turn around to appeal, the dad’s finger was already up. The bowler got his hat-trick, the son got a duck and the dad got his revenge.

Another quick one, there was this bowler in Geelong who was that sharp and lethal that one match, he conceded six leg byes. The ground was a smallish size for starters but the bowler chucked in a short pitched delivery, skimmed off the batsman’s helmet and went flying over the boundary for six leg byes.

Please feel free to tell us yours stories!

Re: Tell us your funniest cricketing story...

That's funny, mainly because the maximum number of extras off one ball is 5 (a no ball that goes to the boundary). You can only score a six with the bat.

I had to field for the opposition a few years back because they were short of players, they stuck me at mid-off.

Anyways the third ball i'm out there one of our best batsman mistimes on off-drive on 45odd and lobs the ball straight to me:confused:

i was absolutely pissed off and so was the batsman, he was almost in tears. An over later another of our better batsman strides out to the crease, tries the same shot as the previous batsman and i take another catch for the opposition.

Talk about being unpopular:eek:

dean3;291780 said:
that's funny, mainly because the maximum number of extras off one ball is 5 (a no ball that goes to the boundary). You can only score a six with the bat.

:d goooooooooooooooooooone

Jaffa;291589 said:
You always hear the old blokes talk about funny stories that take place on the cricketing field. Some are about dirty tactics, some are acts of brilliance and some are just ironic or "million to one" chances.

Tell us your cricket tale, along with the league it happened in.

I've got a couple... One time there was this match in Ballarat where a father and son were playing on the one team. The son was umpiring at the time while the dad was batting. Anyway, the dad got hit on the pads and the opposition went up and so did the sons finger. Gave him out and the dad was livid! Late on in the innings, the son was still umpiring and one of the batsmen went out. Realising he was batting in a wickets time, he ran off the field to get ready. As he was gathering his helmet, the cry of “catch it!.. yeah!!” was heard from the field. The bowler was on a hat-trick and the boy was in. As he strolled out to the crease, he noticed his dad was umpiring and as he walked past, gave his son a deathly grin. The son took middle, faced up, the bowler came in, struck the son on the pad outside the line and going past leg. Before the bowler could turn around to appeal, the dad’s finger was already up. The bowler got his hat-trick, the son got a duck and the dad got his revenge.

Another quick one, there was this bowler in Geelong who was that sharp and lethal that one match, he conceded six leg byes. The ground was a smallish size for starters but the bowler chucked in a short pitched delivery, skimmed off the batsman’s helmet and went flying over the boundary for six leg byes.

Please feel free to tell us yours stories!

who was this Geelong bowler?

Best one I have is from the past season.

Little kid is playing on the boundary, generally moving from the pavilion to boundary and just messing around. Is on his way back to the club house, when he stumbles and falls over on the steps with his backside waving in the air (fall forward onto his knees).

Just at that moment the guy batting middles one and it goes screaming to the boundary like a rocket. Hits the kid square in the ass cheek, if he'd fallen a second earlier or later it would have missed him, really was perfect timing on both parts.

Ends well as apart from a bruise the kid was ok.

well, a few years back in U/13's we had to give one of our players to the oppo just to fill numbers. anyway they posted a score, and as we get down to the wire with a couple of wickets and runs left, our batsmen hits it straight to our guy, and this guy didnt take one catch in the whole season and he abousloutly swallowed this one, we ended up loosing i think but oh well something ill never forget. Then probbaly another story was when i was playing one day comp and Lance Whitnell was playing for lalor in the 5ths or something and they had a truck to sit in and score and sit about and he smashed it straight into the truck or nearby, i dont think i've seen people duck under tables that quick in my life LOL, he ended up making 150 odd off 10 overs or something (very very small ground )

2 years ago in the u16s, a Glenroy batsmen come out to bat, our opening bowler was bowling with fair pace, comes in and first ball hits the batter in the box and he was laying down in pain for a good 5 minutes. After he had his quick drink and checked if they were still there, he was back and ready on the strikers end...... next ball bowled smacked him again in the box, down and out again on the floor and he decided to retire.:D

Back