Tendulkar ruled out of England one-day series

indiancricketer

MUMBAI, March 21, 2006(Reuters)

Batsman Sachin Tendulkar will miss the one-day series against England due to a shoulder injury, an Indian board official said on Tuesday.

"Tendulkar will undergo a shoulder operation in London," board joint secretary M.P. Pandove told reporters.

"Depending on the outcome of the surgery he will be unavailable for a period of approximately eight weeks," he added.

The date of the surgery has not been fixed and Tendulkar may not be available for the test and one-day tour of West Indies, beginning on May 18.

Tendulkar has suffered a series of back, foot and hand injuries since 1999 mainly attributed to the wear and tear of constant play for over 16 years.

The 32-year-old, who holds the record for most centuries in tests (35) and one-dayers (39), was sidelined for six months in May last year after undergoing surgery for tennis elbow.

He is, however, expected to bat in the second innings of the final test against England on Wednesday.

India, who lead the series 1-0, are chasing 313 for victory and will resume on 18-1.

"While the problem has not inhibited his ability to bat, he has of late been troubled by the shoulder while throwing," team physiotherapist John Gloster said in a statement.

"Sachin has been diagnosed with a posterior labrum tear of the right shoulder with an associated para-labral cyst," the statement added.

"He has been mildly troubled by this shoulder dysfunction since the Sri Lanka series (late last year) but the condition has been conservatively treated and monitored accordingly."

Pace bowler Munaf Patel was the only new face in India's 15-man squad for the first three of seven one-dayers against England.

Munaf took seven wickets in India's nine-wicket victory over England in the second test.

England begin the one-day series with a warm-up match in Jaipur on March 25 against an RCA President's XI led by former international Ajay Jadeja, who had a five-year ban following a match-fixing inquiry overturned in January 2003.

The first one-day international is in Delhi on March 28.

India squad: Rahul Dravid (captain), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Suresh Raina, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wicketkeeper), Irfan Pathan, Rudra Pratap Singh, Shanthakumaran Sreesanth, Munaf Patel, Ajit Agarkar, Harbhajan Singh, Venugopal Rao, Ramesh Powar.

? Reuters Limited.

this really is a big blow

well i hope he will be back soon and he can score some useful runs for India. I heard a few people saying that maybe he is faking his injury because some of the shots he played couldnt have been played with an injured Shoulder

I hope Sachin will come back
angel.gif

Or else he should retire now....

he will be back in full form once he comes back.. i wont be foolish when i predict that sachin will come back with a vengeance when he comes back to full flight top cricket!

Difficult to believe that Tendulkar has probably reached a stage in his life where he has spent more than half his life playing cricket.

Back