Terrible off the Pads

Spin King

Terrible off the Pads

I'm a handy middle order batsmen, have all the shots except the leg glance and anything on my pads.

I seem to struggle with the ball coming in at my pads.

Does anyone have any advice that could help?

Cheers

Re: Terrible off the Pads

What problems are you having with it? Do you find that you don't have time to get the bat over to the line of the ball? Or is your front leg getting in the way of the shot? The major problem I have on the leg side is that I'm always falling over towards the off side a little bit. If I really concentrate on moving my head towards the line of the ball I can usually play it OK, or at least better.

Have you seen the Bob Woolmer batting videos on YouTube? He describes how to play the leg glance pretty well - basically a defensive shot but you corkscrew the bat down on contact to turn the ball away. He also shows some good drills (throwdowns essentially) for practicing the shots. Maybe if you get someone to give you balls on the leg side slowly, then build up the speed to game pace?

I think that its mainly im a tad late on it as the ball usually swings in and hits my pads. I will look up the video's on youtube so i do appreciate your help.

Hard to say without seeing you but I would look for head position first as the head leads the food position, which may be wrong too.

Also, I would look at how your hands are moving together, the glance is controlled by the top hand mainly so if the bottom hand is doing too much you could be mistiming your shot.

Spin King;274405 said:
I'm a handy middle order batsmen, have all the shots except the leg glance and anything on my pads.

I seem to struggle with the ball coming in at my pads.

Does anyone have any advice that could help?

Cheers
Simple don't use your pads, because the umpire will think that you are trying to get yourself out. Try using the paddle sweep to get the ball out from near your pads.

schwab2clarkson;274674 said:
Simple don't use your pads, because the umpire will think that you are trying to get yourself out. Try using the paddle sweep to get the ball out from near your pads.

Yess because you can paddle sweep a fast bowler:rolleyes:

As a quick fix until you get the off the legs shots, just block balls on your legs. That way your not risking your wicket with a shot you dont have.

heres a method i used which worked for me in my younger days, if a bowler was consistantly bowling on my pads (and i to had big issues with leg side shots, still do) id take a leg stump guard. that way if a ball comes on your pads you can step towards off stump and clip it to fine leg without the danger of losing your leg stump, just remember to keep your head down whilst playing the shot, im no expert on batting but it worked well for me.

I've been suffering with a similar problem at winter nets. When I'm playing well I've got a nice leg glance, but at the moment I'm abit rusty, and keep completely mis-timing the ball and having it come off the back of the bat. Could it be because my bat face is too closed in my stance/grip? Say I opened the face of the bat in my grip a little more would this help illeviate the probkem you reckon?

King Pietersen;333258 said:
I've been suffering with a similar problem at winter nets. When I'm playing well I've got a nice leg glance, but at the moment I'm abit rusty, and keep completely mis-timing the ball and having it come off the back of the bat. Could it be because my bat face is too closed in my stance/grip? Say I opened the face of the bat in my grip a little more would this help illeviate the probkem you reckon?

Without the benefit of seeing you, it's more likely that you are either not getting your front foot in the right place or you are are bringing your bottom hand in too early.

Take a small stride inside the line of the ball with both toes pointing down the wicket, then bring the bat down straight and turn the wrists at the last moment. Top hand in control.

This also allows you to on drive the slightly straighter ones.

Here is a picture to help:

3331040300_b32d1eedbd.jpg

3331041080_fa33f5a1c0.jpg

Also notice the backlift over off stump or a bit wider. If yours is over middle or even leg stump you can't play the shot as you are playing around your pad.

I will add to the bat over the off stump point, in that I have noticed a big improvement with a lot of the kids I coach when they make this adjustment.

It really seems to help bring the bat down straighter, giving a bigger chance of actually making contact with the ball. I recommend trying it.

Ah cheers fellas. Will give that a go in the nets on Sunday. I think my natural back-lift is like that, as I find it incredibly easy to play the on drive, and find it far easier to play in that area than say the cover region. I'm guessing when I see the ball on leg-stump I change my back-lift, and that's what's making me play around my pad. Thanks.

micoach;333485 said:
Without the benefit of seeing you, it's more likely that you are either not getting your front foot in the right place or you are are bringing your bottom hand in too early.

Take a small stride inside the line of the ball with both toes pointing down the wicket, then bring the bat down straight and turn the wrists at the last moment. Top hand in control.

This also allows you to on drive the slightly straighter ones.

Here is a picture to help:

3331040300_b32d1eedbd.jpg

3331041080_fa33f5a1c0.jpg

Also notice the backlift over off stump or a bit wider. If yours is over middle or even leg stump you can't play the shot as you are playing around your pad.

that sounds like a great idea, ill be trying that, i have the same dramas KPs having, just a quick question on taking guard, i tap the bat on the ground awaiting the bowler with the bat face pointing directly at square leg, do you think this would be hindering leg glances or leg side play in general ( im thinking it must as my wrists automaticly close the face of the bat when i play leg side) i get a lot of leading edges and even had one come off the middle of the back of the bat, what direction would you recomend the face of the bat pointing. cheers.

I would be more interested in seeing your grip and where the face is going as the bat is coming down in the shot.

Can you take a picture of your grip?

cheers, i will in a couple of days, i only played outdoor cricket until i was 15 and was basicly self taught with just basic coaching, then the rest of my cricket was indoor so leg glances didnt matter so i didnt try and rectify the situation, but i want to start playing outdoor again after a 20 year layoff lol, so any advise would be helpfull.

Back