Terrible problem with run up

petersiddle09

Terrible problem with run up

Hello, yes i have a huge problem, it is in my run up. when i get the the line to bowl i like slow down and bowl way behind the no ball line, this effects my confidence and my line and pace. Does anyone know what im talking about.. Its really werid.

Again cheers

Re: Terriable problem with run up

I dont know if it's the same thing but some times I think I am going to over step the line so then I slow down losemy rhythm and screw up.

just practise without a ball start, with both feet together and pretend you were doing a regular run up.It may be that your run-up is not right or your're worried about oversteppnig when you see the line.

Im no expert so this might be complete bull but you neverknow ;)

Actually Edge, you're spot on :)

Rhythm is really important and if you have not got this right, there is no purpose going any further.

I see this a lot with guys who have been penalised for foot faults, they tend to lose confidence and over compensate.

Bowl backwards, to get your length then mark it. As Edge says, practise to get your rhythm within your length and it will all come right.

Edge;354982 said:
I dont know if it's the same thing but some times I think I am going to over step the line so then I slow down losemy rhythm and screw up.

just practise without a ball start, with both feet together and pretend you were doing a regular run up.It may be that your run-up is not right or your're worried about oversteppnig when you see the line.

Im no expert so this might be complete bull but you neverknow ;)

I don't understand how to fix this problem or what you mean??

Start at the popping crease and then run away from the stumps (the opposite to what you would do in a normally). When you feel like you should bowl, stop, mark it and then give it a go in the normal way.

You should find that your run up is a lot smoother, although you may need to tweak it by a few paces here and there. Get someone to spot you on the crease, making sure your foot is where it should - overstepping/no ball then take a step further back, not reaching the line then take a step away.

For example, you've run away from the stumps and made a mark at 17 paces. When you practice this run up with a ball and the normal way, you're overstepping, so increase it to 18/19. If you're not reaching the line then make it 15/16.

i used to have this problem as well. i found the best way for me to overcome it was to count through every pace that i go through while actually in my bowling run up. i do the bowling backwards thing, starting just behind popping crease and going backwards, mark that and then run through it once, counting the amount of running steps i take to get there. then when i actually am bowling, in my run up i (now subconsciously) count every step and concentrate only on the batsmans end and completely forget where my front foot will land. occasionally i run a bit faster and overstep, but only occasionally when i lose my ball to ball rythm, and if you go slower you are only going to bowl a bit further back. i have an action that i dont have to run fast to bowl fast though, so i just jog very lightly so its easier to count. if you are the sort of bowler though that sprints in it might not work to well.

so in summary what i do to bowl i usually count to 12 steps then bowl wherever i am at the time, paying no attention to my front foot and where it is landing. works for me.

Back