Terry Jenner news

Re: Terry Jenner news

someblokecalleddave;399111 said:
Terry Jenner's slowly getting better, let's hope his recovery speeds up and he's bowling again ASAP.

Terry Jenner - "The Spin Doctor"

I was lucky to get my get well message posted there before it cut out at 50 posts.

He dont look too good in that recent photo from his english hospital bed. What sticks out though is how big his hands are. They are huge , which must have helped him spin it.

macca;399160 said:
I was lucky to get my get well message posted there before it cut out at 50 posts.

He dont look too good in that recent photo from his english hospital bed. What sticks out though is how big his hands are. They are huge , which must have helped him spin it.

English hospitals seem to have that effect on people. everyone i know whos ended up in hospital has gone from looking reasonably healthy to looking absolutely awful within a matter of days!! generally once they get out of hospital they perk back up again. i think its just a combination of awful food and complete boredom. so hopefully thats the case with Terry and he makes a full recovery and gets back to his cricket!

with regards his hands, they are absolutely massive! thats how TJ and Warne are able to get their ring finger around the seam without palming the ball, and its how they generate the revs without choking their grip. whereas Philpott (and myself) have to hold the ball further out on the ends of the fingers to achieve the same result with the ring finger behind the seam. if i have my finger on the seam the ball just gets stuck. i think a lot of beginners make this mistake by watching Warne and TJ masterclass videos, and not realising how big these guys are physically!! delicate hands and fingers can do just as good a job as the giant muscular ones of Warne and Jenner when utilised correctly.

Jim2109;399184 said:
with regards his hands, they are absolutely massive! thats how TJ and Warne are able to get their ring finger around the seam without palming the ball, and its how they generate the revs without choking their grip. whereas Philpott (and myself) have to hold the ball further out on the ends of the fingers to achieve the same result with the ring finger behind the seam. if i have my finger on the seam the ball just gets stuck. i think a lot of beginners make this mistake by watching Warne and TJ masterclass videos, and not realising how big these guys are physically!! delicate hands and fingers can do just as good a job as the giant muscular ones of Warne and Jenner when utilised correctly.

Jim, I'm not sure if I have understood correctly. Could you please put up a couple of pictures showing the contrast in two grips?

shrek;399314 said:
Jim, I'm not sure if I have understood correctly. Could you please put up a couple of pictures showing the contrast in two grips?

i cant find any pictures online. and i cant really take a picture of the Warne/Jenner grip because my hands arent large enough lol.

basically the "conventional" leg spin grip that youll hear and read about from commentators and coaches, based on Shane Warne, is to grip the ball with the 1st and 2nd fingers across the seam a comfortable distance apart, with the ring finger running along the seam, and directly on top of it. the thumb either resting on the side or not (optional), and the ball suspended away from the palm of the hand (so that the fingers are holding it, not the hand).

however, unless you have massive hands its impossible to grip the ball this way without palming it, and it makes it really hard to get the ball out of your fingers. youll struggle to spin it hard, youll drag it down regularly if you try to, etc.

if you have normal sized hands (and my hands arent small, but i still cant hold the ball the Warne way) then the solution is to do everything similarly, but have your ring finger parrallel to the seam, but resting just behind it (e.g. your finger touches the very edge of the seam, but isnt actually in contact with it). this allows you to suspend the ball away from your palm with a more relaxed grip, and allows you to spin the ball hard without it getting stuck.

the trade-off is that your spinning finger is acting on a smaller diameter of the ball and on a slicker surface (e.g. you dont have the rough seam to grip against). so youll spin the ball with fewer revs compared to the bear-paw grip of Shane Warne. however people with fat hands tend to have fat stumpy fingers as well, whereas i have very long thin fingers (like a pianist). so i play to my strengths. long thin fingers are bigger levers, whilst fat hands are stronger and can grip the ball at its grippiest and widest part. so the 2 methods pretty much cancel out.

if youve got small hands and small fingers though then youre always going to be compromised. Ajantha Mendis for example has very small hands and generates very few revs on the ball with his leg break variations. he makes up for it with guile and deception, however i think batsmen have got him figured out now. the initial awe is wearing off as people have sussed out that he doesnt turn the ball that much, so just play him like on line and length and forget about the mind games.

someblokecalleddave;399331 said:
The size of your balls matters as well.

indeed it does. in more ways than one as a leggie!! :D

but a smaller cricket ball is substantially easier to spin than a larger one. and lighter weight is also easier. 5.5oz cricket balls rarely weigh 5.5oz. i own about 18 cricket balls i think, and their weights range from 5.25-5.65oz. it may seem like a tiny difference, but there are some balls that i find really easy to bowl with that feel lighter in weight, and the heavier ones are harder to bowl with (and arent always bigger in diameter). so i put all the balls in a bag, shut my eyes, and then picked them out one by one and arranged them in order of weight. then weighed them. and sure enough, the ones that felt lighter, were. and they are the same ones that i find easier to bowl with, all of them are regulation balls.

seamers also seem to prefer the smaller lighter ball as well, and since they generally pick the ball it works out ok for us leggies. but next time youre in a shop buying a ball, hold all of them and see which one is the smallest and lightest!

alternatively, find the biggest and heaviest and practice with that, because if you can spin that then everything else is easy! yesterday at nets i was bowling with an almost new Dukes match ball. its the shiniest dark red ball youve ever seen, you can see your reflection in it. its one of the heaviest and largest balls i own. i still get it to turn nicely, and i bowled at one batsman with a few leg breaks, then threw up my off-spin flipper and had him scrambling to block it out. he said something along the lines of crikey, that one almost got me. you should bowl with a rougher ball though, youll get it to spin loads more.

but thats exactly the point! im getting the big, heavy shiny ball spinning hard and turning off the pitch. come match day when i get thrown the small, light beaten up ball il turn it around corners. but in the unlikely event that i get thrown the new ball and asked to open the attack (i dont see it ever happening at my club), im ready for that as well! spending all day sat in your comfort zone doesnt result in improvements. thats why it annoys me when batsmen at my club treat spin bowling as a cue to start slogging. they spend all of their net time trying to smash me for 6 with no regard for their wicket because they think its big and clever and they dont respect it. come match day (e.g. last week) when theyre under pressure and i come into the attack, they cant slog me because they know theyll get out, and theyve got no answer. seam bowling is their comfort zone, and they just want to spend all their time in that comfort zone. its a complete waste of time.

Jim2109;399376 said:
indeed it does. in more ways than one as a leggie!! :D

but a smaller cricket ball is substantially easier to spin than a larger one. and lighter weight is also easier. 5.5oz cricket balls rarely weigh 5.5oz. i own about 18 cricket balls i think, and their weights range from 5.25-5.65oz. it may seem like a tiny difference, but there are some balls that i find really easy to bowl with that feel lighter in weight, and the heavier ones are harder to bowl with (and arent always bigger in diameter). so i put all the balls in a bag, shut my eyes, and then picked them out one by one and arranged them in order of weight. then weighed them. and sure enough, the ones that felt lighter, were. and they are the same ones that i find easier to bowl with, all of them are regulation balls.

Assuming your using old balls, a lot of the weight difference is down to the quality of the ball and what has happened to it during use. If you weigh brand new balls of a reasonable quality then the range should be smaller, say 5.45 to 5.6 maximum. However, balls that have been used on wet grounds or ones that have poor innards will gain or lose weight.

Of course, the poorer quality balls will have a bigger weight difference to begin with, something which will only increase with usage.

It was a shock to see the photo of TJ in the paper today. He looked really, really crook. They dont normally publish pictures of people who look so sick.

The story said the doctors have given him 12 months max but Terry said he was determined to bowl the doctors his greatest wrongun and outdo that prediction.

Yeah I saw a picture somewhere via an email his wife sent me (Anne is that her) a few weeks back and he looked very poorly and I thought that's him shot - he'll not be coming back to do any training or even write a book a la' Philpott. I was hoping that he might sit down and write a Philpott style book that might establish whether there have been any new deliveries since the Orthodox Back-Spinner. My article on the Zooter/Slider?Orthodox Back-Spinners nearly finished now, I'll be posting it soon. Found some interesting stuff whilst doing the research for it, but would like more info on Benaud.

For some time now we've been discussing the prospects of whether Stuart Macgill would be interested in taking up the role of 'Spin Doctor', we've all kind of agreed that Warney would be a bit of loose canon, but this artice almost confirms what we were hoping for and suspected might be the case with Warney...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...spin-renaissance/story-e6frey50-1226585375002
374492-stuart-macgill.jpg

The site was in a bit of flux at the time so it was probably discussed elsewhere.

Back