Test XI Selection Thread

Just realised that Harris is 34, thought he was a couple of years younger. Still wouldn't think he would be rested unless injured with England there to be finished off.

Well coming to the WACA and 2-0. I am sure someone out there predicted this, but not many.
Still believe Smith should not be in the team, but he offers a spin alternative...bowling his pies and picking up a cheap wicket here an there. This the only thing probably saving him. His first innings dismissal was embarrassing. If Australia keep winning Bailey will survive. Australia really owes a lot to Haddin. 94/54/118 at times when Australia was in real trouble. If Carberry had taken that catch what could have been? Felt for Carberry. really unlucky in both his dismissals. I wish Johnson would just shut up and bowl. He makes more of a statement sending them around their throats.The Poms need to get on their 7ft bowlers into that attack. The height with the bounce and some fire might return fire to the Aussies. Realistically the Poms look like they don't want to be here.

I agree smith shouldn't be in the team! What do you guys think about Lyon? Should he be in given the 3rd test is at the WACA? I am in two minds over this one

Smith hasn't fired so far but did score an unbeaten Test century only 3 games ago.. Need to pick and stick with a batting order for a while at some point.

Lyon should play in Perth, spin is a useful change up option at the WACA, will hell with over rates and the side has the luxury of Watson as a 5th bowler anyway.

Boof Lehman has stated he will pick players on form and nothing else. In the back of his mind he has to be worried that 7 of his players are at an age where retirement is a distinct possibility due to injury or a sudden loss of form. With the sizeable contracts being offered players are reluctant to retire. What do you think? Push them out or wait until their form warrants it?

Haddin can write his own ticket as no other keeper is remotely close to removing him from the team. Paine has been injured and seems to be one who will never play for Australia at Test level. Wade have had many chances and failed to capitalise his opportunities.

Rogers is two Test failures from being shown the door. Harris is a Test match at a time but deserves to be rewarded with a generous contract. He was one of the few to stand up when things were down.

Watson needs to make runs. He has been underwhelming during his Test career. Enjoys his interviews when there is speculation about whether he will or won’t play and he is the centre of attention. Unfortunately he fails to live up to the hype. Bowling future looks less likely each year as his body is not upto it.

Michael Clarke will struggle in the next few years as his back gets worse. He is starting to show his age.

Mitchell Johnson is on a high at the moment but it will be interesting to see how he handles South Africa. They have quick bowlers and the Australians didn’t like it when they were given some chin music. Enjoyed watching Steyn give it to the flat track bullies Indians. His bowling was exceptional. Bet he can’t wait to get into Australia’s top order; especially Warner.

George Bailey struggling to keep his spot, but if he manages to stay in the team he may have 3 or 4 years.

I wonder if the selectors will take Phil Hughes to South Africa or hide him again?. Steyn will be looking forward to bowling to Hughes.

Brad Haddin 36

Chris Rogers 36

Ryan Harris 34

Shane Watson 32

Michael Clarke 32

Mitchell Johnson 32

George Bailey 31

Brad Haddin 36, Chris Rogers 36, Ryan Harris 34, Shane Watson 32, Michael Clarke 32, Mitchell Johnson 32, George Bailey 31

Well with their age they are all going to struggle with any injuries but while they are up good luck. In the end so many of our young bowlers are out with injury so maybe age is better.

As for Watson we can only hope he is about to hit that mystical form that everyone seems to think he has. His test average is 35 but the way they talk him up you would think it was 50.

Should be in the team for a while now after pulling Australia out of the poo today.

And he deserves it. He was the biggest improver in England and India,he has been steady and improving for 12 months. I think he will become a mainstay of the batting into the future.

DA Warner: Not a Test cricketer
457 runs @ 91
SPD Smith: Not a Test cricketer
186 runs @ 37
BJ Haddin: Past it and should be dropped
325 runs @ 65,
MG Johnson: English have smashed him before what will change? Only got in because of Clarke.
147 runs at 49, 23 wickets @ 15
NM Lyon: Lack of courage to select a leg spinner.
10 wickets @ 31
Selectors should be sacked.
Well it looks like they've made the correct calls for this series.

Cheers Kram.
Enjoy being held to account.That's what it is all about.

I will stand by them as in the long term I think you will find I will be proven correct.
The Poms have completely fallen away and only a shadow of the class team that beat India in India.

Warner: You simply don't bowl wide or short to him. England has given him free hits all series. He does not have the technique to face up to tight disciplined bowling. He has shown that time and again. He destroyed India a few years ago in Australia and then went to sub continent and looked like a park cricketer. Lehman even conceded that he has a long way to go. Big difference coming in the 2nd innings with a 100+ lead against a demoralised team and teeing off. Pity he could not do that when in India....even once. I forget much harder when you are 100+ in deficit playing on a spinning wicket.

Smith: Take his century away and he is struggling. He is an anointed one so he will do no wrong in the eyes of the selectors. His technique is appalling, but to his credit he has made two centuries in 15 Tests. Watson should hang his head in shame. (4 centuries in 49 Tests.)

Haddin: Yep got that one wrong, but also stated that there was no one else putting up their hand for his spot.
Haddin lost me a few years ago when Australia got rolled for 46 or something similar in South Africa. He played the most appalling shot I have ever seen an experienced player undertake. Has had some luck with the bat but his glove work and has been exemplary. Keeping is the toughest job in cricket so just have to wonder how long he can last. No other challengers to the position which is a worry for the future.

Johnson: Brilliant test in Brisbane and now all the hype is ridiculous. Interesting to see how he handles South Africa. One Test from imploding...tick tock.

Lyon: Do you really believe he has bowled well this series? He got some cheap wickets on a pitch that had crevasses that you only see in Antarctica. Again no one putting any pressure on him. Not good for the future.

I don't understand who is telling Rogers to stand in front of the cameras and tell the world he is one failure from being dropped. If he keeps saying it he will find a way of making it happen. I realise the selectors are keen to get their love child Hughes into the team. I wonder if they will take him to South Africa or hide him again? Probably a little bit of both. Miss the Tests and play him in the one dayers. Probably end up captaining Australia such is the love for him.

Sooner or later the Australian team will have to start rebuilding and I can see a few more dark years until they get it right. There is no obvious successor to Clarke and replacing him in the batting line up will be a huge challenge. He is going to struggle with the punishing schedule over the next year.

Anyway onto Melbourne and Boxing Day. We are spoilt in Victoria. Grand Prix, Grand Final, Melbourne Cup and the Boxing Day Test. Why would you want to live anywhere else?

To all posters have an enjoyable XMAS and a safe New Year.

Oh Clocker, such sullen words in a time of victory.

Smith: Take his century away and he is struggling.
Yes but he did score that century and did it under pressure when the team needed it and if i am not mistaken was there not a couple of important 50's at good moments for the team as well. You might need to ease up on the kid, he is doing just fine.

Johnson: Brilliant test in Brisbane and now all the hype is ridiculous. Interesting to see how he handles South Africa. One Test from imploding...tick tock.
Yea ok that feeling he will implode at any moment is hard to shake but it is 23 wickets in 3 tests. Brisbane was destructive but at least he has maintained an effort from there, in the past he would have leaked 200 runs for 2 wickets in the next test.

Lyon: Do you really believe he has bowled well this series? He got some cheap wickets on a pitch that had crevasses that you only see in Antarctica. Again no one putting any pressure on him. Not good for the future.
I see you as way off the mark. Lyon has got some important top order wickets, has tied up his end with some good tight bowling that has troubled batsmen and built pressure in the game. He is no strike weapon but he now seems to know his job and is doing it well.

Yes Haddin has done good, i had little time for him but as you say, who else. The next two tests will show the resolve to the task with SA coming in Feb they will need to stay focused

There are a couple of reasons why Johnson is bowling well since his lay off and this talk of him imploding is OTT. He may have an average game or two on slow wickets but so does Steyn.

He has corrected his technique got himself a family lengthened his approach fixed his slinging low shoulder and his fitness has improved tremendously.The move to WA seems to agree with him.

Whatever Johnson does from here on end is a bonus considering his age and whether his body holds up. It has probably dawned on him that he has a couple of years left before he has to give it away and then he can get on the T 20 gravy train like the pea heart Tait. We need Pattinson, Bird, Cummins, Starc all playing regular cricket and pressing for selection. For the amount of time that has been invested in them there will serious questions asked if any of them breakdown again. Interesting to see the flat track bullies India giving it to the Boks. I could have sworn I saw Zaheer and Ashwin shed some tears before the Test started as it had been so long since they had seen a green tinge on a pitch. Looks like Kohli is taking his cricket to another level.

Whatever Johnson does from here on end is a bonus considering his age and whether his body holds up. It has probably dawned on him that he has a couple of years left before he has to give it away and then he can get on the T 20 gravy train like the pea heart Tait. We need Pattinson, Bird, Cummins, Starc all playing regular cricket and pressing for selection. For the amount of time that has been invested in them there will serious questions asked if any of them breakdown again. Interesting to see the flat track bullies India giving it to the Boks. I could have sworn I saw Zaheer and Ashwin shed some tears before the Test started as it had been so long since they had seen a green tinge on a pitch. Looks like Kohli is taking his cricket to another level.

Oner thing you have to say about Johnson, never doubted that he really wants to play test cricket for Australia. It's his head that has been in the way up till now. If he's got that sorted, he could have a great time for the next 18 months or so till some of the sickbay candidates get sorted.

How Australia defeated the Poms in the Melbourne Test with a day and a half remaining beggars belief. If it was Pakistan there would be massive speculation whether there was a fix. But since it was England we will all sleep well knowing that they were completely outplayed.

Just watched Steyn tear India apart in the second Test. He was moving the ball all over the place and with some heat. The Proteas are not going to be intimidated by Johnson because they have the bowlers that can return the short stuff. Amla has struggled for runs and Kallis has retired. Johnson has broken Smith's thumb twice so that will be playing on Smith's mind, while Steyn will be keen to destroy the Australian batting as he did in the last Test series. If the batsmen can stand up against him then they are half way to beating them. Happy New year to all posters.

So who goes to South Africa? Have to say the 11 that played all five tests will be first picked although Bailey's spot is apparently under pressure. It also looks as if Doolan will travel and there's a chance Pattinson might make the trip over as well.

You'd also think Faulkner, Coulter-Nile and another batsman will also make the trip.

Back