The Back Foot Drive

mas cambios

The Back Foot Drive

In this post we are quickly going to look at the techniques involved in playing the back foot drive.

* It's a very effective scoring shot which can be seen as turning 'defence into attack'.

* Many players once they are on the back foot are happy just to play a defensive shot; however, with the correct practice you will soon be able to play the back foot drive with confidence.

* Key point to remember is to keep your balance with your head forward of your body - this will help you keep the ball down.

Coaching Points:

Deep step back in the crease.

Back foot parallel to the crease.

Weight on the back foot, head forward of the body.

Hands up behind back hip pocket, back-lift still raised.

Diamond shape maintained with forearms throughout the shot.

Front leg slides towards back leg with heel raised and toes lightly touching ground (counter balance).

Stand tall and make contact with ball below eye level and forward of body.

Bottom hand fingers and thumb grip, acting as a shock absorber.

Complete shot with the toe of the bat following the line of the ball, keeping leading elbow high and close to the head.

I'll post up a practice drill when I have time.

Re: The Back Foot Drive

To be honest, you seem to know just about everything that needs to be known about cricket and cricket equipment, may I ask what standard cricketer you are - I am interested to know if good know-how relates to good play.

Onto the topic, it is a good shot and I will try and practice it with the help of your drill.

Re: The Back Foot Drive

I think Tom from what i've heard is the bowler who can hit a bit. :p I believe he is the standard of any mens age. To be honest, a good knowledge of the game, and not just how to perfect a shot helps. I mean, if you know how MV plays his cover drive, or Sachin hooks, then you can replicate it, much like Monty Panesar did to get his action of bowling today.

The Back Foot Drive is, and i think the only shot Jaques Kallis is perfect with, oh and maybe the sweep, other shots do have niggling negetives. See any back foot drive by Kallis, its picture perfect!

Back