The Batting Stance Thread.

Simbazz

The Batting Stance Thread.

I thought I'd make a thread just to show some stances at the wicket, and give a little word or two to why its good/bad.

Firstly its Mr.Collingwood, the England captain has a very balanced stance, but does welcome LBW's as he kind of teeters on his backfoot a bit too much.

His stance is great for offside shots with his pad well out of the way, and he has room to hit those shots. His strongest, and weakest shot is his pull/hook, he likes to go big with these so as today showed against Sri Lanka, if you can give the ball a bit of the short treatment, he will go for it, and it pulled off today but again, he sat back a little too much and left himself open for his dismissal of an LBW.

80479.jpg

All pictures from Cricinfo
If you guys have any more which show a very good picture of "Stance," please feel free to post them :D

Re: The Batting Stance Thread.

80404.jpg

Mahela Jayawardene shows a very balanced stance here, from this position he can get forward, back, battle a short ball, defend or duck, weave, dodge....anything else you can thing of. He's seemingly starting to go forward in this picture, which shows hes well balanced off the back foot, check out those eyes to, focused, ready for anything, be it late swing, or seam!

Perfect!

Right guys. Here is Alistair Cook's.

80119.jpg

As we can see he is focused closely on the ball. As the current ball is a full ball, he is already going on the front foot and going for the flash through the covers. But , his bat is just a bit high. Don't you reckon?

No, how stupid, e is going onto back leg, look at his thigh, its got tension in it, means hes facing a shorter ball, looks like the ball has pitched and is climbing.

my stance is pretty much the basic stance.
like paul collingwoods in that pic there.
but i also like to stand at the crease like michael vaughan sometimes too.
does anyone else use his style of stance?

I have never thought about my stance but I do know that I hold the bat very high in the air as the bowler is running in.

im really tall so i keep a lot of distance between my feet its a bit like lance kluseners stance.

I think Tendulkar has a very balanced and perfect stance so that he can play shots all around the wicket.

80187.jpg

theres a flying bat in that picture! :laugh:. Both stances look good there, nice and aggresive getting forward.

ive seen some batsmen in their stance with their elbow not pointing forward.how much affect does that have or is it down to personal preference. i was always taught to keep my my elbow pointed forward.

I bend my legs and sort of lean forward, have a high backlift and keep my head still.

i stand quite still with my feet either side of the crease and my bat almost pointing at off stump. i have a high back lift which is quite similar to michael vaughans

Just a quick question, where do you guys place your bats? Behind your backfoot? Or inbetween both feet?

I feel more confident with it in between my feet, but if i'm under a bit of pressure and need to play with a bit more brain, i tend to place it behind my backfoot so i can play "proper shots," whereas i usually just do what is most effective at the time, be it a hack, slice or generally an ugly shot for the runs.

I always place my bat slightly behind the backfoot. I generally bat with a open ended stance. Sometimes when I'm playing defensively I opt for a more side on stance.

chanderpaul has the most funny batting stance....but he is such a good batsman

55005.jpg

i first saw him in 2002....i thought he was going to get ready to face the ball but he stood in the same position till the ball was bowled.

Back