The cut

jimmy33

The cut

I've always had trouble with the cut.whenever i try to play it i always hit it straight to point. i just cant seem to get it past him and the only times ive got runs is when it goes straight through his legs. it is probably one of my best shots in the nets but come game time it just isnt as productive as i would like it to be. Are there any tips anyone can offer me?? :confused:

Re: The cut

Play it all along the carpet if your getting caught at point.Practice chopping down on the ball so it goes along the floor the cut shot is all about as Simbazz says the wrists practice rolling the wrists whilst playing the shot.One more thing with the cut is don't play it half hearted always flash hard to give you a better chance of getting away with a nick.

Oh another of those age old rules, catch it on top of its bounce which by all accounts is easier said than done in Australia!

As Simbazz says, you gotta roll the wrists and get on top of the bounce mate

dont be scared, just smack it into the turf.

I don't think he's hitting it in the air. I think he means that he just can't get the ball past him.

well you might just have to hit it over them if you cant get it past them. :p
i think the timing might be the problem. you need to play it a bit later.

Sean said:
I don't think he's hitting it in the air. I think he means that he just can't get the ball past him.
yeah thats right, i just keep hitting it to him, and i generally time it quite well. i guess i just need some more match practice

jimmy33 said:
I've always had trouble with the cut.whenever i try to play it i always hit it straight to point.

May I suggest that you are simply not hitting it hard enough. You really have to throw your hands at the ball, in the process, you will give the fielder less time to react and likely play it later which will mean it will go behind square.

In the event that you wish to take a technical approach toward the cut shot, allow me to quote the Cricket Masterclass series...

"The cut shot is a stroke where it is important to pick the right ball to hit, making the right choice could be very rewarding. The cut shot is played to a ball which is pitched short and wide of the off stump. To play it well, you must get yourself in the right position:

As with any shot, the first movement should be a big step back and across; this ensures your head is moving toward the line of the ball. The next thing is to ensure you keep the ball down, you achieve this by hitting down on the ball and rolling your wrists over it"

Simbazz said:
It is true that you have to almost punch at the ball, i tend to knock it over point if there is one.

My cut shot seems to be my main strength because I am always late on the ball which means it races toward the backward point boundary. Occasionally, I loft it over point but that is more of a drive than a cut.

I think you'll only edge it when you misjudge the bounce or aren't into position in time.

Some sound advice from manee. Playing it late is the key.

I reccomend visiting www.natwest.com/cricket , on there are a series of Michael Vaughan training videos, one of which being the square drive/square cut. I honestly dont think there's many players who's training videos would be such a good watch. He is one of the more classy and talented players in the world when on form, and has such a sound technique, brilliant player.

The keys to the square cut/drive are pretty much:
- Get your back foot pointing square
- Slight movement across the crease to get your head close to the ball
- Wait on the ball and let it come onto the bat, dont need to flash a blade at it to get it to the boundary
- Keep still after playing the shot, you see many batsmen move their head and arms away after playing it, which can lead to edges.

Take a look at the videos though, very helpful training videos.

Back