The elements that make a good bowler - Part 2

mas cambios

The elements that make a good bowler - Part 2

I've been reading a lot of coaching material lately and it got me thinking as to the elements that make up a good bowler. I think I've managed to pick a up a few key skills and will try to share them with you lot; hopefully to get some feedback and discussion going.

The first thing that I feel you need is ACCURACY.

This is true regardless of what you bowl, what pace bowl at or what standard you play. You may be able to swing the ball like a boomerang or spin it on glass but without accuracy what is the point?

One 'jaffa' a game is great but not so if you're going for 6 an over in the process because you can't put the ball in the same spot twice. The battle between bowler and batsman is largely about creating pressure, the one who creates most pressure invariably wins. The best way to do this is by restricting runs. But, how can you do this if the captain is unable to set a field because you bowl the ball in 6 different places?

Remember this: a bowler who has nothing but accuracy in his arsenal will always take wickets, those that have every but accuracy seldom will. The key is to marry accuracy to ball movement; then you'll take a hatful!

We'll take a look at part 2 in the next few days but in the meantime any comments are welcome!

Re: The elements that make a good bowler - Part 1

Very true, but there are some bowlers who spray it all over and then come up with a miracle ball. In general though, I think you're spot on.

Not sure if I maybe stepping on your toes a bit and you might be coming onto this futher down the line but I would couple Accuracy with Consistency. Get both of these two components sorted and you have gone a long way to becoming a very good bowler.

I think it depends upon the bastmen entirley, if there a high level then you need something other than just accuracy.

Slass;28058 said:
Not sure if I maybe stepping on your toes a bit and you might be coming onto this futher down the line but I would couple Accuracy with Consistency. Get both of these two components sorted and you have gone a long way to becoming a very good bowler.

I'll be getting to that later in the series. This is an ongoing post that will try to look at all the different elements that go into making a good bowler.

storm;28059 said:
I think it depends upon the bastmen entirley, if there a high level then you need something other than just accuracy.

As above. Although I still think that you can get away with a lot more if you can bowl accurately, even at the higher levels. Tying a batsman down is a key element of any battle.

Accuracy is important but so is a lot of other stuff. Will be interesting to see what else you include.

Just another perk that I think was implied when you talked of creating pressure, but didn't quite state outright...

Accuracy is fundamental to executing bowling plans, or 'setting up', wickets properly.

It's hard to push a batsman back and back and back and back and back and then force them to press forward to a not quite full ball if your short and wide either side of the wicket, then full and straight, then full and wide, then short, etc.

Indeed it is, apologies for not implying it more directly, but at the moment I'm just trying to sum up the various elements - however, feedback from other is most welcome as I'm sure I'll overlook stuff!

If you look at the "great" bowlers in the past all they did was try and move the ball a bit to get an error or an edge..

No matter what kind of bowler you are work on variations in the nets- if you are a leggy try a googly, if you are an off-spinner try a top spinner.. if you bowl in-swingers try and make it go the other way.. if you bowl quick work on different slower balls.

I reckon if you have not only plan A&B but C,D,E & F then you are much more likely to do damage as a bowler.. perfect a stock delivery then work on variations.. pace is NOT everything

having accuracy is definitely one of the most important aspects of bowling. the ability to put the ball where you want it is necessary in executing your plans.

pace without accuracy is waste.

We've had some great replies in here so far, but I think I'll moe onto the next element.

This goes hand in hand with accuracy (and has already been mentioned in part) and that is CONSISTENCY.

Without consistency accuracy, pace, variation and whatever else goes out the window. You need to be able to hit the right areas time and time again. It's no use being accurate, if you're accurate in the wrong areas or can only move the ball once or twice in the air.

Coupled with all of the elements, consistency gives you the real edge when it comes to the bowler/batsman battle, especially if you know exactly what your bowling. It also helps as you're able to consistently target weak areas and work the batsman over.

Consistency is largely gained through practice as well as an understanding of ones own action and how it works.

Ok, a short one this time but that's largely down to the fact that (in my mind at least) accuracy and consistency are bedfellows, but key elements nonetheless.

Will add part 3 in the next few days.

Re: The elements that make a good bowler - Part 2

Variation Plays a key part to bowlers that don't have a great deal of pace or swing etc.

mas cambios;28175 said:
Coupled with all of the elements, consistency gives you the real edge when it comes to the bowler/batsman battle, especially if you know exactly what your bowling. It also helps as you're able to consistently target weak areas and work the batsman over.

While this is a little off topic, seeing that made me think of something that I think all bowlers know deep down, but don't always understand.

I think that one phrase perfectly articulates how bowlers should approach self analysis. What were/ are you bowling and was/ is it what you were bowling what you wanted to bowl?

Lets face it, we've all seen a batsman fluke his way to a tonne, and we've all seen a right-arm-everywhere bowler look utterly unplayable. This happens because taking a wicket is an amalgamation of many things, of which, delivering the ball is only one of the components - and unfortunately for us bowlers who get judged almost entirely on statistics alone, it is the one and only component that we can control.

So when approaching your performance critically, try (and I know it's hard) to divorce yourself from your figures and statistics - worry only about what you were, and are, able to control: Delivering the ball.

Sorry Mas for moving the topic away from your post, but that one phrase made me think of something that, I think, a lot of us bowlers misunderstand.

That's ok, you make a valid point to be honest. I think the best bowlers are those who understand their own game, their own actions and are able to understand what they're trying to do with each ball.

I think you're pretty spot on. Without that confidence and knowledge of who you are, and what you're capable of, it's incredibly tough to play positive cricket when things just aren't falling your way.

... Man I feel like having a bowl now.

MV!;28194 said:
I think you're pretty spot on. Without that confidence and knowledge of who you are, and what you're capable of, it's incredibly tough to play positive cricket when things just aren't falling your way.

... Man I feel like having a bowl now.

This could be one reason why less experienced bowlers struggle a bit more - they just don't know what they're capable of. That and not knowing your action as well as a more experienced bowler probably plays a pretty big part in reduced effectiveness.

Yeah the accuracy thing is obvious, but now quantify accuracy? I've been watching the highlights over the last few days of the England v South Africa game and listening to the commentators and they've been slating the South African bowlers because of their inability to put the ball in the right place - now is this because they're inaccurate or because they've been told to bowl short by their captain or something?

If you read some of the stuff written about Wrist spin bowlers and the neccesity of accuracy where they're concerned and I think Benaud is one of them, they talk about having the ability to bowl the ball onto a coin. Whereas if you look on the internet at the BBC's Terry Jenner videos he then tells you that the accuracy isn't that essential - then look again at Jenner on the cloverdale videos and he contradicts himself as then goes on about accuracy. The subject is a minefield.

On Sunday I bowled 8 overs in a match and was generally accurate but only took one wicket and it came off the worst ball of the 8 overs. A wrong un that should have piched and been targeted at the off stump went legside the bat hit it out to mid wicket and it was caught. Meantime my mate who played with the Sunday 1st team on the same day who is notorious for spraying the ball all over the shop and bowling shed loads of wides took 2 wickets and always does, I think he's our second highest wicket taker this season!

I think with Terry Jenner he is saying that putting it on the same spot time and time again isn't as useful as consistently putting it in an area in front of the batsman that invites him to try and drive the ball. Then with variations of speed, flight, and turn you have a good chance to beat the bat or take an edge. The target area is still quite small - so accuracy is important - but he's not talking about landing it on a penny time and time again.

You often get "bad" bowlers taking lots of wickets at club level as the batsmen don't know how to play it. Most think bad ball = hit as hard as possible, whereas they will be more cautious of a good ball and play it properly.

someblokecalleddave;28950 said:
Yeah the accuracy thing is obvious, but now quantify accuracy? I've been watching the highlights over the last few days of the England v South Africa game and listening to the commentators and they've been slating the South African bowlers because of their inability to put the ball in the right place - now is this because they're inaccurate or because they've been told to bowl short by their captain or something?

If you read some of the stuff written about Wrist spin bowlers and the neccesity of accuracy where they're concerned and I think Benaud is one of them, they talk about having the ability to bowl the ball onto a coin. Whereas if you look on the internet at the BBC's Terry Jenner videos he then tells you that the accuracy isn't that essential - then look again at Jenner on the cloverdale videos and he contradicts himself as then goes on about accuracy. The subject is a minefield.

On Sunday I bowled 8 overs in a match and was generally accurate but only took one wicket and it came off the worst ball of the 8 overs. A wrong un that should have piched and been targeted at the off stump went legside the bat hit it out to mid wicket and it was caught. Meantime my mate who played with the Sunday 1st team on the same day who is notorious for spraying the ball all over the shop and bowling shed loads of wides took 2 wickets and always does, I think he's our second highest wicket taker this season!

Accuracy comes down to being able to land the ball where you want, when you want.

A lot of teams will have bowling plans and if you can't follow those plans to the letter, then they go to waste. Most batsman have a weakness somewhere, the best bowlers are the ones who can find that weakness and then exploit it by consistently putting the ball in that area.

In terms of Benaud and Jenner, they are talking about the same thing but Jenner takes it one step further. If you can land the ball on a coin time after time after time, then you have in all likelihood mastered accuracy. This means that you can then put Jenner's take on into action by using your control of the ball to alter length and lines to put doubt into the batsman mind.

What Jenner doesn't want to see is a bowler who religiously sticks to one spot (or is only able to stick to one spot without messing up his game) as that just becomes predictable for the batsman and he'll quickly (well the good ones will) start to pre-empt and hit out.

Back