The elements that make up a good bowler - Part 3

mas cambios

The elements that make up a good bowler - Part 3

Sorry for the delay in adding part 3, but things have been a bit manic around my way with some building work on the house and trying to snatch the odd day away/mini break.

Carry on this little look at some things that I feel make up a good bowler we come to another bedfellow of the previous two parts (Parts 1 & 2) (accuracy and consistency) and that is variation.

Variation comes in many forms, from swing to spin or pace to guile. The more you can do with a ball, the better the chance of deceiving a batsman and getting his wicket. How you do this will fall largely on what type of bowler you feel you are.

Pacemen will rely heavily on swing and seam with a good slower/quicker ball thrown in, whilst the slower bowlers amongst us will often reply on changes in pace, flight and length to compliment any turn that they may be getting. All bowlers will rely on being able to apply these variations at will and in different conditions.

Once again though, variation without the consistency and accuracy is wasteful. What could is a swinging yorker it if misses off stump by 6 inches or if you can only get in the right area 3 out of 10 times.

I think its fair to say that so far there is a strong link between the first 3 elements I've touched upon (variation, consistency and accuracy).

What are YOUR thoughts so far?

Re: The elements that make up a good bowler - Part 3

yeah I agree variation is a key element of good bowling. but would you say that a bowler could use too much variation?

for example, Irfan pathan recently probably bowls more slower balls and cutters than an actual stock delivery, but has been dropped from the Indian team. or the alternative, mendis - with at least 4 different types of deliveries that he uses frequently has been very successful.

Pathan has a got a golden opportunity to prove in the pcoming ODI series in Sri Lanka.
Mendis is new to world cricket.

unccricket;28762 said:
yeah I agree variation is a key element of good bowling. but would you say that a bowler could use too much variation?

for example, Irfan pathan recently probably bowls more slower balls and cutters than an actual stock delivery, but has been dropped from the Indian team. or the alternative, mendis - with at least 4 different types of deliveries that he uses frequently has been very successful.

I think that a seam bowler can have too many variations and it can be detrimental to their game. The same with spinners but not to the same effect though.

It's a joke at times as some players will have 5,6 or more variations of a slower ball and will try to bowl them in the same game. As with anything, the more you use it, the less of a surprise it becomes.

Ain't no use having vairations if you can't bowl your stock ball!

Back