The Future of the West Indies

Caesar

The Future of the West Indies

Well, I think the less said about the current state of WI cricket the better. But the question remains, where to from here?

It is obvious that cricket at the grassroots level is suffering and this is compounding the very significant problems with the administration of the game on a professional level.

Drastic action needs to be taken to turn the sport around in the Carribean and once again make it an attractive and competitive professional sport. Can the WICB do this? Or is the only chance to disband and let the component countries focus on their own nations and their own development?

Re: The Future of the West Indies

They have a very unique and complex problem to be honest. A 'nation' made up of a number of islands; some who have rivalries and historical problems, was always going to be hard work.

Those rivalries have caused selection problems in the past as well as problems amongst the board. This is even without taking into the consideration of the fans, who understandably back their 'players' over ones from other islands.

Matters are not helped by the lure of US sports, such as basketball and football and the riches they can bring.

From my take on things throwing money at them is only going to be wasteful. The board is a shambles and needs to be restructured. It doesn't help that ex-players chime in all the time and hark back to the 'good old days'. I'm sure their intentions are honourable but it really only serves to muddy the waters.

The talent is still there but it's not being identified and nurtured. Look at the athletes a place like Jamaica can produce when a decent structure is put in place. This is what they should be looking at and emulating.

The have a core of players that they can build a solid team around. Gayle, Ramdin, Chanderpaul and Sarwan. But they are batsman and their biggest problem is the lack of quality bowling. Taylor is class but unlucky for him has been struck down with a chronic back injury. Bein isn't up to it and Rampual is a medium pacer at best.

I haven't had much time to research but what is their junior set up like? Do they have places like the centre of excellence or junior West Indies teams coming together for training camps?

West Indies are my second favourite world team and I am hoping to see them back to the force they once were in the future!

@DK they have some decent academies and their youth teams are pretty strong and the facilities that the 2007 World Cup left should have them playing better than currently.

I think the West Indies in its current form is unlike anything other in the world of sport maybe only "replicated" by the Barbarians Rugby Union team. But it is a complex disaster which seems to be getting worse than better.

The problem is the board and the way it operates and I think it should be looked at and maybe disbanded and started from scratch. The problem is that the gap from first class level to Test cricket is almost as big as for Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

We should not forget about the Stanford collapse which was seen as the revival for the Windies and did invest large sums in the grassroots. I largely think that Trinidad and Tobagos performance in the Champions League is due to the Stanford competition.

I think the truth is that the ICC should be looking at this and decide what if anything can be done .. they have the resources(Gayle, Sarwan, The Bravos etc) but the politics inter Island is hurting it.

The issue that has been destructive is the relationship between the Board and the Players association and it well chronicled how it has watered done some touring sides and home series..

What can be done? I would other opinion on it ..

hattrick;379029 said:
What can be done? I would other opinion on it ..

Way I see it they have three options:

1 - Carry on as they are

2 - Disband the current board and start again under the guise of the West Indies

3 - Disband the West Indies as it is now and play as individual islands

Obviously all three have some pretty big negatives, not least that two of them may render the West Indies defunct at worst or as a collection of third rate associate nations.

The Windies have too much history to disband so for me, that option is out of the question. I would favour option two but it would have to be done correctly. They need to bring in experts from other nations - people with expertise in building a brand, management, running a professional sporting outfit and so on. However, the board must retain a strong West Indian presence, firstly to get trained and then be able to pass on the skills and secondly so that the essence of what makes the West Indies the West Indies is retain as much as possible.

Each of the different Islands need to have their input and their views listened to and dealt with fairly and with merit.

The first class structure needs to be strengthened. Eight to ten first class sides should be adequate but the club structure beneath that also needs to be strong. At the moment they have seven sides, they can surely fit in one more? I like the idea of the combined college side but they could also consider allowing Bermuda into the system. Failing that a West Indies u19 or 'A' side as they have in the one day competition.

Each island should have a youth set-up and links with local schools/clubs are a must. Cricket is competing against baseball and basketball as well as athletics. Aside from the potential earnings the other attraction is that the lure of scholarships in the US - this is something that maybe the WICB needs to consider. Get the kids in and give them an education, something to fall back on this making a career in cricket not the be all and end all. Most universities have a flexible program, it just needs the organisation in the first place.

It will be a long process but once the national team is seen as successful again, the process will become easier.

Mas I think I am in agreement with you on the fact they should be disbanded and having them play as singular nations as then the politics would even become more apparent.

The only question is that would they get support from the various islands and the explayers as they seem to be a consistent problem ito of going back "the my era issue"..

This is a massive issue with very big implications for the game and one hopes that the ICC are looking at it and consider some sort of intervention..

Back