The Googly

its exactly the same action as the normal googly, except they hold the seam the other way around and instead of having to flick the wrist (which can be tricky for some people, myself included) you can simply roll the ball out over your fingers. you can just as easily bowl the conventional googly but just drag your fingers down the side of the ball rather than give it a big flick. it only needs to turn enough to beat the inside edge, which it will if the batsman doesnt pick it anyway.

I think I gave this a go and it's okay, I'm not sure about all the explanations of the angles and such like and the rotation (or rather the lack of it) would give the delivery away as it would be different to your Leg Break. But any variation is worth giving a go as it may work out nicely for you. I'd still be wary of the fact that it is bowled out of the back of the hand as this may mess up your leg break. If you can't bowl a Googly give it a goe as it does work.

I think this type of googly has been developed more by fast bowlers for a change of pace. The grip is similar to a normal seam up delivery. It seems that to make it turn like a googly the arm has to be low. The higher the arm gets it would become purely top spin. Is it possible that if your arm went slightly beyond the vertical you could get the ball to break like a leg break yet to the batsman it would appear as a googly and a more obvious googly than the orthodox one because you see the back of the hand for longer. A double bluff?? interesting!!

Seems like a hard ball to bowl and land, also seems difficult to bowl without lobbing it quite a ways into the air. Even landing quite fullish onto dust in this video it bounces quite high. It would be difficult to keep it down on anything else, I think.

Seems like a hard ball to bowl and land, also seems difficult to bowl without lobbing it quite a ways into the air. Even landing quite fullish onto dust in this video it bounces quite high. It would be difficult to keep it down on anything else, I think.

Practice and it'll come good in the end, but watch out for the Googly syndrome though. chuck up some leggies as well to keep your wrist working right.

I've tried the "alternative googly" delivery and its harder than the normal one for me! I can get pure topspin now so I'm not too far off a Googly, I just can't get my wrist/arm round that little bit extra to turn the ball back in.

I've got deliveries I can get to go the other way if required, but they aren't as subtle as a proper wrong'un would be. Although most batsman would fail to pick them anyhow, and even if they do they still need to play it. Just being able to throw one up early in a spell to show that you have a ball that goes the other way should be enough to scare the batsman and make them a little more cagey. Even if you never bowl it again thereafter.

Same here jim. When I was young and more flexible the googly came easily, it was my natural delivery. Now it is more difficult. It is still useful, but it only turns back a little way.

Its best not to dwell on it too much. Shane Warne first injured his shoulder bowling 45 wronguns on the trot to Ian Healy, and that pretty much started him on his mid-career slump. Whenever I bowl it I can feel a wrenching sensation in my shoulder, and that cant be good.

I've tried the "alternative googly" delivery and its harder than the normal one for me! I can get pure topspin now so I'm not too far off a Googly, I just can't get my wrist/arm round that little bit extra to turn the ball back in.

I've got deliveries I can get to go the other way if required, but they aren't as subtle as a proper wrong'un would be. Although most batsman would fail to pick them anyhow, and even if they do they still need to play it. Just being able to throw one up early in a spell to show that you have a ball that goes the other way should be enough to scare the batsman and make them a little more cagey. Even if you never bowl it again thereafter.

You know the feeling you get when you really bowl a ripping leg break. The wrist snaps and it really peels off the spinning finger and you know its going to turn a mile. Great isn't it.
Well when I bowl the wrong un I never get that feeling. Its a strange delivery in that sense. In my experience the fingers do far less than in a leg break. It also feels like you lose control of it a bit as it comes right out and over the back of the hand. It doesn't feel like it will turn at all and it surprises the hell out of you when it does. After a while I got to realise when I let a good one go even though it still feels strange. The real key for me was getting the release right and realising its very different to a leg break. From there I found that it wasn't that difficult to actually get my wrist into position.

Same here jim. When I was young and more flexible the googly came easily, it was my natural delivery. Now it is more difficult. It is still useful, but it only turns back a little way.

Its best not to dwell on it too much. Shane Warne first injured his shoulder bowling 45 wronguns on the trot to Ian Healy, and that pretty much started him on his mid-career slump. Whenever I bowl it I can feel a wrenching sensation in my shoulder, and that cant be good.

Rotational Press ups, Pull up bars and terra bands or what-ever they're called strecthed behind the head will sort that out. I remember when I started out with the Wrong Un I did nothing but bowl it for the best part of 2 weeks and yeah it used to feel like the flick was almost dislocating my shoulder. I think the other thing that is very important for the Wrong un and maybe the reason I have a good wrong un and a mediocre leg break is my vertical arm. I'm not sure flexibility comes into it as I'm 50 and if my knees are a current indication of my flexibilty quota, it's pretty low!!

chippyben I know the feeling you describe, as I get the exact same with the top spinner! it comes out of the hand and at first you panic and think its overpitched or gone wrong, it just doesn't rip off the fingers in the same way as a good legbreak. but eventually it lands and you realise it did what was intended of it. I can imagine the googly would be exactly the same.

my issue isn't so much with getting my head around that side of things, as it is getting my head around how on earth my arm and wrist go there to begin with. I can rotate my shoulder more than enough (I think), the problem is that my wrist compensates and snaps back at the last second to deliver a leg break instead (to the point that I reckon it would look like a googly to the batsman!!!! I need to video it). I'm probably closer than I think to nailing it, but I need to find a way to not try and spin the ball at release, and just let the shoulder do its thing and the ball just basically fall out of the hand with minimal revs in the right direction, then I can build it up from that.

its the opposite method to learning every other delivery though, because with the zooter/backspinner, all flipper variations, big leg break, etc the aim of the game was always to spin the ball as hard as humanly possible from the outset, and worry about the seam presentation and accuracy later. the wrong'un obviously requires a different approach, maybe thats where I've been going wrong.

You know the feeling you get when you really bowl a ripping leg break. The wrist snaps and it really peels off the spinning finger and you know its going to turn a mile. Great isn't it.
Well when I bowl the wrong un I never get that feeling. Its a strange delivery in that sense. In my experience the fingers do far less than in a leg break. It also feels like you lose control of it a bit as it comes right out and over the back of the hand. It doesn't feel like it will turn at all and it surprises the hell out of you when it does. After a while I got to realise when I let a good one go even though it still feels strange. The real key for me was getting the release right and realising its very different to a leg break. From there I found that it wasn't that difficult to actually get my wrist into position.

I've got to say I know what you're saying about that Leg Break feeling, but the Wrong Un doesn't have a sensation that is anything like that ripping sensation you get with the leg break, certainly not with regards the fingers. But as Mystikiel says there is a massive judder that goes through the upper arm to the shoulder and maybe the flick occurs at the wrist more and is rolled off the fingers. I remember I used to bowl some massive turners with a ridiculously relaxed grip and no apparent flick with the fingers.

The only really helpful thing I got from any of Benuads video clips was his wrongun instruction. And only the bit where he emphasizes finishing with the back of hand facing the ground.

I found my son was doing what Jim was talking about, setting up for the wrongun but at the last second reverting to bowling a legbreak. What we did was I got him to just concentrate on forcing that back of the hand facing down, elbow pointing up finish, exaggerated somewhat to start with, and this made it so much simpler and it seems by having that final position to aim for allowed him to adjust his action without him really having to think about how to do it.

mystikiel talking about warnie bowling all those wronguns in a row and stuffing his shoulder in practise reminds me of Grimmett in his 1948 book where he says he decided one day , in a match, to give Bradman the wrongun 'treatment' as he called it, and bowled only googlies at him. It seemed to confuse Bradman and stop him scoring and Grimmett reckons someone in the crowd yelled out "bowl him some legbreaks, he like them".

I might have to try the hand facing down method properly at some point macca. you have mentioned it before, and I gave it a sort of try but spent no proper time on it. I get too caught up in wanting to see an end result (forgetting how I learnt leg spin in the first place) so when I try a few of those and the ball just hits the floor a yard in front of me I get bored and go back to leg breaks. I think it warrants at least a proper attempt one day.

I might have to try the hand facing down method properly at some point macca. you have mentioned it before, and I gave it a sort of try but spent no proper time on it. I get too caught up in wanting to see an end result (forgetting how I learnt leg spin in the first place) so when I try a few of those and the ball just hits the floor a yard in front of me I get bored and go back to leg breaks. I think it warrants at least a proper attempt one day.

Definately the way to go, that method of Benauds. Thats the way that got me going after I got the release. I imagine I have a watch on my right hand and at release the watch face is facing the batsman(or his feet, so it doesnt come out too loopy and then keep on rolling the wrist over so the watch is facing the ground. That probably confuses things more but it works for me.
Give it a go Jim. You'll love it when you get it!!

Definately the way to go, that method of Benauds. Thats the way that got me going after I got the release. I imagine I have a watch on my right hand and at release the watch face is facing the batsman(or his feet, so it doesnt come out too loopy and then keep on rolling the wrist over so the watch is facing the ground. That probably confuses things more but it works for me.
Give it a go Jim. You'll love it when you get it!!

I've just had a bowl in the paddock trying a load of different things - Wrong Uns, Wrong Wrong Uns (is this the first time this ball is to be seen on visual media anywhere)? Out the front of the hand flipper, standard Flippers and Top Spinning Flippers, I've just to edit it all and upload it, so keep an eye on my channel.

I've just had a bowl in the paddock trying a load of different things - Wrong Uns, Wrong Wrong Uns (is this the first time this ball is to be seen on visual media anywhere)? Out the front of the hand flipper, standard Flippers and Top Spinning Flippers, I've just to edit it all and upload it, so keep an eye on my channel.

That knee looks like its restricting you a fair bit. It doesn't look nearly as powerful as your "new"action vids from a little while ago. Seems like you are landing the leg breaks well. You need to unleash that wrong wrong un to good batsmen only I reckon. Blokes who are picking you easily. It would be wasted on most batsman at our level. Great ball though.
I see it must have just crept past 15 degrees and the sun is out in England as you have your shirt off, as is the pommy tradition!!

That knee looks like its restricting you a fair bit. It doesn't look nearly as powerful as your "new"action vids from a little while ago. Seems like you are landing the leg breaks well. You need to unleash that wrong wrong un to good batsmen only I reckon. Blokes who are picking you easily. It would be wasted on most batsman at our level. Great ball though.
I see it must have just crept past 15 degrees and the sun is out in England as you have your shirt off, as is the pommy tradition!!

Chippyben it's a lot warmer than 15 degrees! It's been 26 - 27 today and the last few days. My days of getting my tan started before the end of March have gone (15 degrees) I wait now till its a bit warmer! The knee is a hinderance at the minute, but it is getting better. I was up out early today taking Photos down on the south coast at a place called Dungeness, where its all pebbles and rough and uneven under-foot, but I've come away with the knees okay, no soreness or tenderness, so bit by bit it is improving. More and more in my practices I'm re-introducing the bound and coming away fine, so it looks promising. My bowlings a bit all over the shop at the minute with about 4-6 different things going on at once, that I'm trying to look at, improve and develop...... Release (That new cuppped hand flick), rotation, speed, accuracy, length, it all looks a bit crap at the minute especially the speed.

Next thing he will do that thing with the hanky, where they tie the corners and use it as a hat :D Hey chippy i have been up in north west nsw for a week on my brothers property and the days have been really hot and sunny but i noticed its been raining down your way. We were practising on a pretty good turf wicket that this cow cockie layed in his backyard. I shaved it with the victa and rolled it with a tractor! Lifes good on the farm , no wonder so many good cricketers grew up in the bush.

Back