The Harmison conundrum

mas cambios

The Harmison conundrum

I'm sure that most of you that post here have strong views on Harmison, not least after his epic first ball of the Ashes series we don't like to mention. However, the England management still think he's useful, hence the endless comebacks over the years.

Just when you think he's finished, up he pops again, only to under perform and fall out of the reckoning once more. However, it seems this time things have come to a head, he's had his central contract removed and it seems that unless he gets certain assurances, he's going to retire.

He's seemingly pitched his 'threat' to sound like whatever the outcome it will be for the best of the team but I get the feeling that deep down we are seeing someone throwing their toys out of the pram, albeit it very quietly.

"It would be unfair of me to walk away now," said Harmison. "Andrew Flintoff's walked away so you're taking probably about 135 Test matches out of the equation in a short space of time."

"If they want me to go (to South Africa) I'll gladly go. If they don't want me to go then I'll retire." But then again, he'll only go if he plays a full part in the tour.

The question is, what would you do if you were Andy Flower? Call Harmison's bluff and tell him to walk or pander to the guy?

Re: The Harmison conundrum

Look Harmison has a history of being a bad touring member of the English party. So on that front I sense you are right in saying that he is throwing the toys out of the pram. I get the idea that needs to be reassured constantly and the main reason he came back was KP. They seem to have a close relationship.

I cannot remember that he had a big impact on the last tour of South Africa ( was it not the swing of Hoggard that did it).
If I was Andy Flower - I would select the guys that have done the business for me - So no I think the time has come for him to retire and play full time for Durham CCC. Also he has injury issues and the South African wickets are gonna be hard work ... and he might only play in certain matches due to conditions.

Back