The mental side of batting

mas cambios

The mental side of batting

Just how do you set yourself up to go to bat and what do you do when your out there? Personally, I tend to positive and only worry about the things that I can control, rather than how fast the guy is bowling or the fact that the pitch is seaming like a demon.

When out in the middle I break the game down into little blocks, say 10 runs or 5 overs (depending on the situation) and I try to only concentrate when I really have to.

What techniques do you lot use, if any?

Re: The mental side of batting

just relax and middle the ball a few times if im not getting the middle then i rotate the strike until im confident and i dont concentrate on the ball too much if i do i normally forget to move my bat so i mistime my shot lol so i use my natural instinct and it works for me

Not much of a batsman, I am a carefree kind of a soul while batting. Whether it be chasing 2 runs an over or 9, or even setting a total, my gameplay is always the same, that being my natural leaned towards aggresive batting mindset.

Early in an innings i just try to get my feet moving make sure i keep my eye on the ball all the way onto the bat, and try and hit straight and pinch a few quick singles to get me going, third man's a good place to pick them up. Then i just try and build from there, once i've got my confidence up. My straight game is the best part of my game though, i'm very strong on the forward defence and have a powerful and normally well timed straight drive. My first boundary for my club was a peach of a straight drive, been lining it up for a while and just powered it past the bowler, just pinged off the bat sweetly. Having good concentration and keeping a keen eye on the ball is vitally important though; the majority of my dismissals last season were because of lack of foot movement resulting in being clean bowled, so concentration and getting my feet moving is massively important.

I had the same problem earlier.
One of David's Article helped me out.
"Watch the Ball", "Relax" and then again "Watch the Ball".
Once my Captain also told me: "Be Positive".
Now I have a strong & positive approach towards batting.

When I go out to bat I adjust my gloves, helmet etc to keep myself busy and then take the guard. Then I clear all my thoughts and keep saying 'watch the ball' to myself. Whatever else is going on in the world doesn't concern me when I am batting.

Yes I do rest but I try to not think anything outside the game. I analyse the situation or just stare at the ground if there is nothing to do. I also dont keep track of my score when I am  batting. Its easy since there isnt a huge scorecard at the ground showing my score.

I think resting between balls is key to preserving mental strength, if you can learn to switch off then switch on you'll be a handy player.

I was watching the cricket today and Michael Atherton was talking about batting long periods and he was talking about how resting between balls can preserve mental strength and energy. I cant say i've really played a long innings of note yet, other than my 28* from 69 balls towards the end of last season and i wasn't aware that resting between balls helped mental energy, so was quite exhausted once my innings had finished. So i'll definitely remember to mentally rest if i get in next season.

Yeah its something that I learnt with time. You need to learn to switch yourself on and off.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
OK.
U also play Club cricket in Mumbai.
Is it at Dadar or at VT.
I haven't played much in Dadar. I used to play for my school team and then college team. I train at a ground in Juhu. They also arrange some matches so I play for them.

I am happy to read about u continuing Ur cricket.
I am happy to see couple of mumbai guys in this forum and more from different part of India.
Hopefully in near future we can organise matches among ourselves.
Once request; If u come across any cricketing tournament organised in Mumbai; please do let me know.
Rohit; please make a note of it.
We stay in Thane so not much of contacts in mumbai regarding upcoming cricket tournament.
Since u guys stay & play in mumbai; u will get the first hand information about it and can share with me.
Looking forward for a positive response from you,Thanks :)

Back