The mental side of batting

scooter22

The mental side of batting

This is what i struggle with. the mental side of batting. I have the technique, the bowlers never worry me. I score at a decent pace. But i always lose my concentration. How do you combat losing concentration when batting? I regularly get out to soft shots. I dont have enough patience, even though i score at a reasonably quick rate. I get a lot of scores between 10-30 because of this. Can you practice of do drills to combat this, can it be helped?:confused:

Re: The mental side of batting

I remember an interview will Collingwood (aka Brigadier Block), known for his insane endurance and patience, who said he would only concentrate on the cricket when the bowler had reached his delivery stride, or just before it and would stop focusing as soon as he had played the ball. a few seconds of intense focus, then several more of complete relaxation, repeat lyrics of a song in your head, lines from a movie, just some time out so that when you do have to focus on the cricket again your refreshed.

Im a tailender but i suffered from that rush of blood impatience and would probably charge a bowler after 3 balls. Im by no means a better batsman now, but i can hold up an end and let my teammate work the runs.

Hope that helps mate

Re: The mental side of batting

Slightly off topic but relevant. I always find that when I'm doing something that demands long periods of concentration it helps my batting. For example, a few years I was spending a lot of time on the road, lots of driving and the obvious need to pay attention. A consequence was I found myself batting really well and able to maintain my focus.

I think it shows that you can train yourself to concentrate for longer periods but you have to work at it. Couple it with the conservation ideas above (only focus on the ball when the bowler is in his run up etc) and it should help you.

Back