The modern bowling action

StanTheMan

The modern bowling action

There seems to be an increasing trend among fast and fast-medium bowlers to use the "open chested" type bowling action with the pace generated mainly via the shoulder.

Ntini, Harmison, Flintoff, Maharoof etc use this action as opposed to the more classical "side-on" actions of Brett Lee, Anderson, Bond and others. The leading ankle takes more strain in the open-chesters and that could be making Flintoff's left ankle continue to be dodgy.

I think the side-on action is more pleasing to watch; most great pace bowlers have used it in the past but if the open chested action generate more pace then I think we'll continue to see it.

Can anyone pass on any tips to me in order for me to have a go at changing my action to the open chested method?

Re: The modern bowling action

i have a side on action. arent bret lee, bond one of the fastest even with the side on action. will switching to open chested really increase the pace?

That's a load of rubbish. Whether it's open chested or side on plays no part in speed generated, it's down to the arms, shoulder and trunk.

What are some of you like?

Look at the great fast bowlers and tell me what they all have in common?

I'll give you three guesses.

^^ I see that someone has sand in their vagina.

Of course it makes a difference, you need the right action in order to utilise though levers (see not just a sexy beast, brains as well).

Is you avatar trying to tell us something?

StanTheMan said:
There seems to be an increasing trend among fast and fast-medium bowlers to use the "open chested" type bowling action with the pace generated mainly via the shoulder.

Ntini, Harmison, Flintoff, Maharoof etc use this action as opposed to the more classical "side-on" actions of Brett Lee, Anderson, Bond and others. The leading ankle takes more strain in the open-chesters and that could be making Flintoff's left ankle continue to be dodgy.

I think the side-on action is more pleasing to watch; most great pace bowlers have used it in the past but if the open chested action generate more pace then I think we'll continue to see it.

Can anyone pass on any tips to me in order for me to have a go at changing my action to the open chested method?

Ok. Here is all I know.

You must choose one of two actions. The side on action, or the front on action.

There are a number of things you need to figure before choosing your action. Just go to the nets or a park and bowl how you naturally bowl. You will likely have your legs one way (e.g. side on) and your trunk another way (e.g. front on).

It is harder to change your base so you should stick with the direction of action that your legs point. However, it is not quite that simple. If you have aspirations to be a professional, you should think about where the power in your action would/does lie. If your power is generated through your fast run up and powerful chest, go with a front on action and if you feel that most of your power is generated through the rotation of your hips, go with a side on action.

If you want to change your action to the front on method, the key would be to make sure that every part of your body, at each time during your action, points straight down the pitch. The key areas are the chest and the backfoot. The perfect model to look at for a front on action is Allan Donald, though you need to have considerable athleticism to perfectly imitate his action.

If am bowling fast i often use a Harmision because i feel it gives me extra pace and bounce on the bowl but it all depends on your build etc..

im just a medium pace bowler now so if i change to open chested action will my pace increase?

It's worth noting there is very little practical difference between the actions. After all, everyone is front on at the point of delivery whether they start side on or not.

The important thing is to avoid a mixed action as that forces your lower back into an unnatural twisted position and risks injury.

Harrowdrive said:
The important thing is to avoid a mixed action as that forces your lower back into an unnatural twisted position and risks injury.

...And reduces pace and accuracy - mixed actions have nothing going for them.

I would say that Lee has an almost perfect action for pace, at least bio-mechanically, so I doubt it's mixed in anyway.

Ali Malik said:
doesn't lee have a mixed action?

He once did have a mixed action with a side on top half of the body and legs pointing straight. After a back injury, he changed it, his feet and chest now point in the same direction throughout the action. Lee originally got his pace from counter rotation of the hips but this abused his back and no wonder he was such an injury magnet early in his career. He now gets his pace from the bringing down of the front arm from a powerful position.

Note: All bowlers must be front on when delivering the ball, side on and front on refers to before the release.

Back