The Players of 2008

King Pietersen

sC Player of the Month June '08
The Players of 2008

This is a thread to discuss any players that you think will light the world of cricket up in 2008, i gained the idea from the BBC, and thought we could develop and discuss any ideas you may have. This can include in domestic cricket, international youngsters, or the veterans who will have fantastic years. If everyone could give a list of 3-5, it would be great, so here's mine:

Joe Denly

A young, stylish batsmen currently plying his trade for Kent. He's impressed greatly in the first class game in the past 3 years, since his debut in 2004. I feel that he has a big big future in English cricket, especially considering he's already had a great start with the England Lions. He's going to be a big name in a couple of years time, and i expect him to have a very good 2008, with the possibility of an England debut during the year.

77763.jpg

Dale Steyn

A young, talented and exciting quick bowler. He has the ability to bowl consisently at 90mph, and get away swing and seam movement. With Shaun Pollock on his way out, Dale Steyn could have to become the lynchpin in the South African attack. He has the talent to have a fantastic year, and i believe that he will definetly add to his 76 wickets that he already has in Test Match cricket. Needs to have a good tour against England.

58468.1.jpg

Shaun Tait

Another young quickie, who's possibly the most exciting bowling talent in the world today. Capable of bowling upwards of 95mph he has an interesting action, and one that allows him to generate magnificent pace. He bowls a mean bouncer, and a fantastic yorker, and also has the ability to bowl reverse swing, at magnificent pace. I feel that he is going to have a great year in all sections of the game, and i expect him to build on his 5 test wickets.

83746.jpg

Michael Clarke

Stylish, good looking, marketable, and one heck of a batsman aswell, Michael Clarke has the potential to go on to achieve fantastic things. He's already been earmarked as Ricky Pontings successor to the Australian captaincy, and has all the talent and support to do so. His fantastic test match average of 46 has proved his talent, and i believe he needs to have a fantastic year in 2008, nad really push himself to score close to 1000 test runs this year, he has the talent and just needs the oppurtunity to succeed.

84369.jpg

Alastair Cook

The 23 year old England opener has had a brilliant start to his test career, scoring almost 2000 test runs, at an average of 45, with 7 hundreds. What he lacks in agression and power he makes up for with ability and timing. If he can sort out his weakness against left armers and the tendency to get out lbw early in an innings, he could go on to be one of the most successful English batsmen of all time. I expect Cook to have a profitable 2008, and he will expect to score runs against New Zealand and South Africa. It could be a good year for the young Essex opener.

76316.jpg

So who are your picks for the players of 2008 >?

Re: The Players of 2008

Mine would have to be, from an English point of view:

Ravi Bopara
Stuart Broad
Joe Denly
And i think this could be a big year for harmison hes been starting to get things back together again.

Re: The Players of 2008

Mine would have to be, from an Aussie with a soft spot for Sri Lanka.

Phil Jaques, he can turn the opening spot into his own with big performances in the remaining India tests and the upcoming West Indies tour
Probably Matty Hayden bursting into that purple patch and still riding on it
Sangakkarra, hopefully he can keep on performing in Tests
and definitly binga, or Brett Lee. This has been a great year for him and he will build on that

Back