The simplyCricket Bat Clinic

mas cambios

The simplyCricket Bat Clinic

Seeing it that's time of the year when a lot of people will either be putting their bats into storage or taking them out, I thought I'd offer a bit of bat clinic.

Basically, if you have any problems (or think you do) with your bat, such as cracks, wobbly handles or dead spots etc, post a message and I'll see if I can help.

What I need from you is a decent description of the problem and if possible I reasonable photo of the bat with a close up of the damage. From there I'll give you best case advice so that you can either fix it yourself or get someone else to do it for you.

I'm also trying to sort out a service where simplycricket can offer a discounted repair\refurbish for bats, so if you want your bat fixed or cleaned up ask and I may be able to get you a good price.

Re: The simplyCricket Bat Clinic

this is a gd idea btw this page.....erm my handle isn't really wobbly yet but recently i have started 2 feel it go more nd more i net...ow wud u stop this

Firstly have a look around the splice (the 'v' shape near the top of the bat) and make sure that it's still firm.

Is the handle wobbling from the middle or the bottom?

Might be just be natural wear and tear, if you can peel back the grip have a look through the binding for any cracks leading up from the splice into the handle.

This looks like a great idea. Atm I'm looking into buying a new bat so not too many problems I hope :p

Well this is my bat. The area circled is the area Im worried about. Funnily enough it is the inside edge, and generally I don't hit there that often. But if you could check it out, see if there is a problem or if Im just being paranoid. Thanks in advance A_A.

From what I can tell, there isn't anything to overly worry about but if you want to be safe you could consider some 1 or 2 inch fibre class tape down that edge to give it some support.

I have an old style Puma Bat. It is the Adam Gilchrist 5000 bat. This is before the new style of stickers came out. The bat had a hole drilled through the back of the bat verticaly towards the handle with a wooden plug inserted to fill the hole. Apparently the idea was to reduce weight while increasing profile. My bat a cracked around the plug. This is only th thinest of cracks. The blade and bat itself is fine and still plays great however because of the crack it sounds terrible. To fix it I think i need some self seeking resin that i can drip into the crack and it will fill it before it starts to set and the clamp it. If you have any advice as to the best resin to use that would be great.

PS. I know my description of the damage was rather vague and would be best with a picture but I wont be able to get one untill the weekend. I ahve included the best photo of the bat i could find on the net. However this only shows the front of the bat, I am hoping someone will remember it from this and undestand wht I am saying.

Normal wood glue should do the trick. If you want to fill the hole completely then you can use car body filler.

Sorry mas I mustn't have been very clear (can't see how you got confused tho;)). The hole is meant to be there as part of the design. But it isn't an open hole, it has a plug. The cracks are down the side of where the hole would be. I cannot get to the surface of the cracks hence why I need some resin that can dribble its way through.

I think it would be best if i take a photo to stop all this confusion!

No worries, I just wasn't sure how big the cracks were, or whether or not the plug had come loose.

Again, wood glue should do the trick, you can dribble a small amount onto the crack and it should penetrate the crack enough to help fill and seal them. Other than that, it might be an idea to ask at a DIY store and see if they have anything which is a bit less viscous but will still help to fill and seal the crack.

In terms of clamping it, don't forget to put a cloth around the bat to stop the clamp leaving marks. 24 to 48hrs should be enough time for the glue/resin to dry.

One thing to remmber is that a Bat or Bit of Wood is like a living Item, It changes all the time depepnding on weather, use, storage. It may only change slightly or not even to the naked eye but it does.

Using Filler and resins are really only for cosmetic reasons as they dry hard and solid. if its a crack then Glue it as best you can! Wood Glue only! and use a clamp. but to be honest if its on teh Face of the blade then i would leave it or tape it to prevent further cracking.

ive seen all sorts over the years, Nails, Screws, Sellotape and more. I only use Wood Glue, Batting tape or Bat cover!

The other day I noticed that the anti-scuff sheet on my bat had a small bit of it missing at the toe of the bat. The picture shows the bit that is missing and I was wondering what I should/could do about it; in terms of real life size it's about an inch long and maybe 3-4mm at it's widest point. I think it was knocked off when I was running my bat in on the indoor surface we were using when I went to the camp in Edinburgh but I'm not 100% sure. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I havn't got round to oiling the rest of my bat yet as per a post I made a week or so ago and so would oiling this small bit be an option in trying to fix it?? So far all I could think or was maybe putting so tape on it...

Just leave it until the end of the season. Then have a look and if it's bothering you, get the bat cleaned up and a new sheet put on.

Others may say different but at most just get a little bit of fibre glass tape and put that over it, if you're unduly worried.

there is a dead spot near the toe of my bat about 2.5 cm up from the toe to the right ..... is there anything that can be done about this or do i just put up with it?

Not a great deal to be honest. You can try to knock it in a little (may help the fibres) and then apply a light coat of oil (assuming it's not covered with a face).

I know this is routine knowledge to most of you but I was reading through a gn custom option sheet and when it allows you to choose a grain spec', it has the options; wide, narrow or 'two-tone'. Can somebody please enlighten me to what two tone is? is it simply heartwood in a bat?

Sorry it's non topic related :??? but i felt there was little need to start a topic when i'm sure i'll get my desired answer within a few posts.

Back