The umpire's word is final ... but wrong

Re: The umpire's word is final ... but wrong

The only other thing may have been that the keeper was over the line, would enable the square leg umpire to call.

Maybe it was a windy day and the umpires thought the bails had fallen off and the bowler was trying to con them into thinking he had bowled him?.

lol thats a funny one. surely he wouldnt post it if it was a no ball. i think the umpires must have thought that it fell because of the wind or the keepers gloves knocked up the bails if he was standing up.

StanTheMan said:
Woah, that'd be a life ban and possible assualt charges in this country.  Cricket is a great game but not really worth a criminal record.

There must be better ways to vent your anger at bad decisions?
lol i was just kidding.
talking about bad decisions the other day a team mate was given stumped but there wasnt a ball in the keepers hand. i could see it clearly from the other end but apparently the umpire couldnt.

i get many many bad umpiring decisons. i think its down to bad umpires who know little about the game but want to stay involved.

jeez, i know you can get some bad decisions but that cricket, i feel you should just take the decisions on the chin and try to laugh about it. when all is said and done umpires are only human and they should be allowed to make mistakes, but only if they are good honest mistakes, not the biased ones Ive heard you guys talk about. and i have no time for umpires who don't even know the laws of cricket or even the competition rules...just shocking

The thing is, you know when an umpire doesnt know the game that well, and you almost know that you're going to be given out in a wierd way!

The problem in India is that we will find many umpires at local level that are unsure about the rules. In the match yesterday Karthik hit a shot which bounced of the helmet of the fielder at short leg to silly point. The umpire gave it not out but it reminded me about a club match that i saw when it was given out and it was a very important wicket too.

Theres are set rules, but due to the lack of umpires willing to keep re-reading them, some umpires make rules of thier own, which is disappointing.

Simbazz said:
Theres are set rules, but due to the lack of umpires willing to keep re-reading them, some umpires make rules of thier own, which is disappointing.
yeah it really terrible when umpires who are meant to know the rules like the back of their hand dont even bother to check up on them them every once in a while

Rohitpatel said:
No I think I remember that Tendulkar was given lbw against mcgrath when the ball hit his helmet.
Yes; It was during the 1999-00 series in Australia and I think it happened twice in that Test Series.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_efi3p5jQ4]Click here[/ame] for a clip of the infamous dismissal.

Thanks for the link. Not the worst, but I think that wasn't a good decision. The ball was going over the stumps.

This one match, I was bowling really well, they couldn't score off me and I was getting wicket (despite a catch being dropped). I was bowling my second spell, to a tailender for the last wicket. I bowl it, in line with middle, hits the guy on the back leg, umpire gives it not out. Next ball, gets his edge, and they could hear it from the boundary, we were almost already off the field we were so sure, but the umpire gives it not out again. Someone jokingly from the boundary yells out "Lift your game, ump" (he knew the umpire so it was very funny.). Next ball, I get him caught and bowled. I go to the umpire "is that one out?" just to make sure.

With the Sachin dismissal, it hit his shoulder, plus he didn't play a stroke, so it wasn't that bad of a decision.

man thats some bad umpiring you copped jonesy ;). yeah and i reckon that the sachon dismisal wasnt the worst decision that has been give, although i am australian :p

It reminds me of the time Harold Larwood was playing in a charity match.

The umpire was obviously not impressed; after a perfectly straight ball hit the batsman's pad, Larwood was sure of an LBW... "How's that?", he cried.

"Not out", was the umpires reply.

The next ball shot down even faster, the batsman slashed [he should have parried :laugh:] and nicked it straight into the wicketkeeper's cupped gloves... "How's that?", he cried again.

"Not out", was the umpires reply.

The flummoxed Larwood took a full run, resulting in the most deadly fast delivery. I am sure the batsman never saw a thing... just as well... the wicket was shattered with stumps and bails flying every which way.

Larwood tuned to the umpire and said "I damned near got him that time!"

Merry Christmas to each and every one of you. I wish you all the very best and the most promising 2008 season.

Back