Throwing (Long distance)

someblokecalleddave

Throwing (Long distance)

Being an old bloke and working in an office environment these days I don't tend to throw bricks and things at swallows and the likes anymore as I did when I was a kid, so throwing caused me some problems last year - pulling muscles in my arms throwing the ball in from the outfield. I know on www.harrowdrive.com David's got some advice on there about training techniques and on the BBC website here in the UK there's a good video clip with Paul Collingwood showing you basic throwing techniques which I found really useful especially after screwing my arm up.

But - what can I do indoors in the way of exercises to build up the relevant muscles? Any ideas?

Re: Throwing (Long distance)

someblokecalleddave said:
...I don't tend to throw bricks and things at swallows and the likes anymore as I did when I was a kid...
:eek:

If I can remind you of the six phases of throwing...

Wind-up
The cricketer prepares the kinetic chain and builds potential energy whilst raising the centre of gravity. This phase produces minimal stress to the shoulder.

Early Cocking
The arm is bent to 90 degrees with abduction to posterior of the body. External rotation is initiated with deltoids (early) and cuff (late) initiated.

Late C*cking
Foot is planted and there is maximum external rotation (170 degrees) with peak cuff activity:
Mid phase: supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor
Late phase: subscapularis as the torso opens

Maximum stress to anterior restraints:
Ant shear = 400N
R.C. compressive force = 650N

Acceleration
The cricketer now rotates the shoulder to the ball release point of 90 degree rotation. The velocity nears 7000 deg/sec. There is eccentric to concentric conversion with minimum load to GH joint during energy transfer.

Deceleration (Most violent)
The ball is released to 0 degree rotation. The contraction becomes eccentric to slow the arm with posterior capsule stress
Joint loads:
Posterior sheer 400N
Inferior shear 300N
Compressive >1000N

Follow through
The cricketer rebalances as muscles return to resting levels.

...you can see the strain put on your anatomy whilst throwing. It is also obvious that the rotator cuff plays a significant role in the throwing scenario.

If you want exercises to do at home, http://www.harrowdrive.com/how-to-protect-your-shoulder-from-cricket-injury/ even has some you can do in bed!

Inverted rows are great for that.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBpDvjoecw[/ame]

Harder than they look though.

manee said:
Will this increase the strength as well as injury resistance. I am left handed but throw with my right (I can't throw with my left without it feeling weird and going nowhere) which is quite weak.

Yes, strength is very much linked to injury prevention. Prehabilitation is all about strengthening the combination of muscles in any particular movement.

This is the reason why you must work on movement and not muscles. By isolating particular muscles, others are neglected, providing a weak link in the chain of movement through muscle imbalance. This impairs performance as well as causes injury.

thats what happened with my shin splints. the inner muscle of my calf was stronger than the outer one so it took all the strain and caused pain when i ran. but theyre gone now :)

will try some of those exercises out

Nice one David, it just so happens my pull up bar which is in a doorway is adjacent to a balcony where I can put my feet - it's almost perfect for this exercise in the video! Brilliant and as you say it's easy. (Feels like it's doing things forr my stomach as well).

Brace your core Dave to keep everything in (!) and do not be tempted to let go during the upward phase or you may end up one floor down :laugh:

Regarding the swifts and swallows the reason we threw at them was that they were so fast you just knew you'd never hit one no matter what, I'd have been mortified if we'd have hit one!

Anyway - so rotator cuff exercises then and basic core strength stuff it sounds like? Obviously practice it as well using Davids technique of different weight balls, so that it's cricket specific - am I on the right track?

Regarding the swifts and swallows the reason we threw at them was that they were so fast you just knew you'd never hit one no matter what, I'd have been mortified if we'd have hit one!
I know Dave; I too remember the days of perfect innocence ;)

Anyway - so rotator cuff exercises then and basic core strength stuff it sounds like? Obviously practice it as well using Davids technique of different weight balls, so that it's cricket specific - am I on the right track?
Absolutely Dave. Mind you, none of this will help if you do not have the correct throwing technique.

I'm using the techniques as advised by Paul Collingwood in the BBC clip. I know when I hurt my arm I was throwing in an "Old Skool chucking stones at swifts style" and it didn't work, it also followed a 5 aside football match where I'd been the goalie for a while and had been throwing a football from one end of the pitch to the goal mouth of the other. I don't think that helped either. But - with very little rest in between both incidents and after hurting my arm I'd then adopted Collingwoods technique and it was affective and seemed to be using a lot less or radically different muscles. So is the Collingwood technique okay?

Yes, I got it James.

I like this one Dave. A good explanation and views from three angles.

A few extra coaching points:

Grip across seam;
Long stride and backswing with wrist rotation;
Throwing elbow shoulder level or just above;
Back leg trails until after release;
And do not forget; full follow through.

I think this is a good thread to ask whether it is possible to learn to throw with your 'non throwing' arm. I bowl with my left but throw with my right. My right arm (although quite built for some reason), is only used for throwing for me and so is pretty weak and I was wondering whether it is possible to learn to throw with my left or whether I'd be wasting my time.

Furthermore, is there supposed to be a feeling of a jerk in the elbow at the point of release or is that a weakness in my arm muscles?

Training multilaterally is one of the big developments in Fundamentals of Movement (LTAD). It is possible to make the same movements with either arm [or leg], unless there is a mechanical fault. Yes, it can be trained, just remember that we are talking mirror images so they work in opposite directions ;)

As for the 'jerk', if I can redirect you to the stages of throwing in an earlier post [19 December] on this thread, is it at the deceleration phase Manee? This is an extremely violent phase on the anatomy but it will become smoother as the muscles strengthen.

Liz Ward said:
As for the 'jerk', if I can redirect you to the stages of throwing in an earlier post [19 December] on this thread, is it at the deceleration phase Manee? This is an extremely violent phase on the anatomy but it will become smoother as the muscles strengthen.

It is in the deceleration, thanks for the advice.

You are more than welcome Manee :D

Remember to strengthen the rotator cuff through abduction, lateral and medial rotation.

Back