Trescothick makes ball revelation

mas cambios

Trescothick makes ball revelation

One to stir up more controversy.

Marcus Trescothick has revealed that he sucked sweets to help keep the shine on the ball when playing for England.

"I was firmly established as the man in charge of looking after the ball when we were fielding," says the 32-year-old in his new autobiography.

"It was my job to keep the shine on the new ball for as long as possible with a bit of spit and a lot of polish - and through trial and error I finally settled on the best type of spit for the task at hand."

He adds: "I had a go at Murray Mints and found they worked a treat."

Now, I like the guy but did he really need to reveal this? I can understand that he may want to be open and honest but if so, at least wait until you've fully retired.

Re: Trescothick makes ball revelation

For decades countries such as england have accused the pakistanis of cheating and look who's doing it now.. i knew they were up to something, prior to that series, i had not seen any of the england bowlers swing it that much..

Id like to hear the experts views on this, and will the ICC legalise it now, because its classed as ART now.

This probably isn't new. Steve Waugh said much the same in his auto biography, when he played in county cricket. There isn't that much bad with it, I mean everyone eats mints, so pretty much everyone has had the same effect when shining the ball.

Afridi_fan;29321 said:
For decades countries such as england have accused the pakistanis of cheating and look who's doing it now.. i knew they were up to something, prior to that series, i had not seen any of the england bowlers swing it that much..

Id like to hear the experts views on this, and will the ICC legalise it now, because its classed as ART now.

Chewing on gum or sucking on mints isn't illegal is it? Many players chew on gum and for all I know most teams have set ball shiners.

Can anyone ship me out a few Murray Mints?

I think, technically, it isn't illegal. You are allowed to apply saliva on the ball.
Rahul Dravid was accused of ball tampering for this but that was because the mint was in his hand.

Oh so now its alright cus everyone does it? I bet if a Pakistani was caught they would be calling for him to be banned. This is just exploiting the rules and ICC should immediately address this issue.

Maybe the ICC should have another look at it but i have no doubt that if a Pakistani player was caught nothing at all would happen.
The ball tampering incedent was an unfortunate thing and didnt happen just because it was pakistan.

Doing a bit more reading into it and it's nothing new. The only time it became an issue was when Dravid actually rubbed the sweet on the ball and not just his saliva. Pollock said that he used to do the same thing (a few days ago when commentating) but I guess that Tresco has a book to sell, so the juicy bits are being dripped fed to the media in the hope of making headlines.

Saliva isn't artificial, so is legal - whatever a person has been eating/drinking is going to taint it in some way so we either stop players polishing the ball in this manner or just carry on as we have been for x amount of years.

The bottom line is trescothick didn't get caught while Rahul Dravid, who did something very similar did get caught. The big difference between real ball tampering and this is that it involved a natural process.

Example: I keep a small piece of course sandpaper in my pocket and then when no one is looking i rough up the ball - that is outright cheating. I somehow circumvented the umpires and opponents to gain an unfair advantage.

Example: I am chewing gum, mints, whatever and then spit on the ball to shine it. I am using my body's natural process (saliva formation) to maintain or enhance the condition of the ball to gain an advantage. I am not introducing foreign objects directly to the ball.

So my conclusion is that the ball tampering rule should be modified such that no foreign objects are applied directly to the ball. Furthermore, I think you should be able to use your fingernails to rough up the ball or pick at the seam. Also considering the fact that you cannot police ball tampering via indirect means, they should just drop it. However, anyone found with foreign objects (sand paper, bottle caps, etc.) should be banned.

Back