Trigger Movement

Re: Trigger Movement

It's very individual.

Some players use it to get 'on their toes' especially against faster bowlers (85mph+)

Importantly, even those with a big trigger movement are still at the pint of delivery. This is vital. If your head is moving when the ball is coming towards you then you need more time to pick it up and therefore have less reaction time.

This is a big reason why I generally don't coach a trigger movement. If someone has it then I would ensure they are still at the point of delivery. If someone does not have one I would need a very good reason to coach one in.

Younger kids (up to 15 or so) should always be taught to keep still in my view.

Have to echo what David has said above, it's one of those things that is individual and really needs a coach to look at your game in the flesh.

As for me, I have a small trigger movement, mainly when facing pace, I tend to be rather leaden footed against spin, although I'm trying to change that.

Harrowdrive said:
Younger kids (up to 15 or so) should always be taught to keep still in my view.

On a slightly related topic, try to avoid tapping your bat on the ground (if you can without it affecting your concentration), it simply moves your head up and down.

Just to add something into the mix, may or may not be relevant:

High-speed digital cameras were used to record the three-dimensional kinematics of 10 skilled and 10 less-skilled right-handed batsmen when playing a shadow front foot off-drive to realistic projected video footage.

Skilled batsmen were more likely to identify the type of delivery bowled. Seventy percent of skilled batsmen had preparatory feet or foot movement before committing to play forward, while only 20% of the less-skilled batsmen utilized this trigger movement.

Throughout the drive, the head of the skilled batsmen was further forward of the centre base point than that of the less-skilled batsmen. This forward head position was associated with the tendency for the skilled batsmen's centre of mass to be further forward during the predicted bat-ball contact.

There were no significant differences between groups in the shoulder angle, bat angle or bat speed during the different phases of the stroke.

There was a tendency for the less-skilled batsmen to have a larger hip angle at contact. This study provides further understanding of the factors associated with skilled performance in cricket batting, which coaches should consider when training less-skilled performers.

Although I haven't read the whole study, it raises a few interesting points about natural skill, as well as how much the position of the head plays a part.

That's quite an interesting read there Tom, it is interesting that there are more than just "skill," factors between those skilled and those not so skilled.

Its vital that every coach knows that, as its pretty easy to fix early on in a kids cricket career, much harder when they hit anything past 11 as they seem to revert to what is "natural."

Trigger movement for little kiddies isn't as important as it is when you're getting up the ages. I think you need to set boundries. With the kids i help coach, we just make sure that they're always on thier toes and keep them moving. Some have even adopted a "shuffly," style when taking up, which we try to get rid of, but if it keeps them switched on it can all help.

My trigger movement isn't much early on, i suffer from glued feet, but once i get going i tend to get on my tiptoes and move slightly forward and back. I almost walk, which i know isn't technically correct in any way, but as i said, its difficult to get rid of, and it works.

Best thing you can do to get your trigger movement early on? Get a blow which reminds you that its down to not moving your feet!

From the England captain, Vaughan;

I keep my stance simple, standing on the line of the crease with my feet a comfortable width apart. My trigger movement is an initial small step forwards then, as the ball is released, a second small foot movement, only this time backwards towards my wicket. This provides a solid base from which I can react to the ball.

Found here; http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,822423,00.html

Quite a decent read, specially with Brett Lee's take on fast bowling.

Almost_Austwick said:
Although I haven't read the whole study, it raises a few interesting points about natural skill, as well as how much the position of the head plays a part.

This is an extremely interesting study but only a part of the story.

For instance, the skilled batsmen do not keep their eye on the ball (not always possible at the speeds they play) but are more likely to operate a distinct eye movement strategy of viewing it at crucial moments during its flight with a subtle combination of pursuit tracking and saccadic movement as they locate the bounce point. Together, with other strategies, a batsman is able to move ahead.

I would not put too much store on 'natural skill'. Although some players do have a head start (honestly, pun not intended ;)), all these strategies are easily trained and practiced.

If there was a secret to good batting it is in the head position. Where the head goes the body follows.

manee said:
On a slightly related topic, try to avoid tapping your bat on the ground (if you can without it affecting your concentration), it simply moves your head up and down.
i do the bat tap, but i use just my wrist not the rest of my body, so my head stays quite still. i do it at the same time that ponting does it

Apologies for bringing up an old topic however, it is a concern i have. Should I teach myself into using a trigger movement or has it no effect on batting?

'Mas cambios' brought up an interesting article, saying 70% of the skilled batsmen had a trigger movement, however this could have merely been coincidence.

After digging out various DVD's and studdying them as much as i should have to my GCSE'S, watching Ponting keep completely still, then watching Vaughan fidget, 'is a trigger movement a 'comfort zone' to a batsmen, or can it prove to be effective?

P.S I hear you are a more then decent cricketer Mas cambios... do you have a trigger movement?

micoach;6994 said:
If there was a secret to good batting it is in the head position. Where the head goes the body follows.

This should be the first thing taught to every sports person, not just cricketers.

Who woulda thunk that the placement of that big, useless contraption on top of your shoulders could influence every movement so dramatically?!

micoach;6993 said:

i've got to say that the article linked in the physical genius page was incredible.

as far as a trigger movement goes, I don't really have one. I do tap the crease excessively, but I am trying to cut that out. From reading this thread and others, I want to see how keeping my head completely still will affect my batting.

Back