trouble batting

Re: trouble batting

i would have thought that bringing the bat down in line with the wicket keeper (assuming the he's standing directly behind middle/ middle- off) would restrict your ability to play leg side deliveries, or at least the efficiency with which you could play them. My brief obsession with bringing the bat down dead straight showed me that; but i'm a wrong hander, so that kind of changes the dynamics a little.

i'm just thinking that as i wicket keeper i dont always tend to stay in the same place. i do move around alot just to keep the batsmen thinking?

i always get stuck in front when playing the leg glance. I close the bats face early. How should i play the shot what i mean is. Do u play it like a forward defensive on the legstump then at contact you flick your bottom hand?

First play it with a straight bat. From what you are saying I would imagine your head is not in line with the ball but infact leaning over to off stump and leaving you unbalanced (also you want the ball to go through the leg side and all your weight is going to the off side making it harder to time the ball meaning you will try to hit it harder). The misconception of this shot is that many players play it infront of their front pad after stepping across. When infact you should play it like an off drive but open you hips, the line of your bat should then follow the line of your hips. The wrist flick you talk about is only needed to manoeuvre the ball into gaps at the last instance but I wouldn't worry about this untill you get the foot work sorted first.

Virendersingh.berthwal;27307 said:
It does come in an angle easy to play leg side shots.
So i will be checking the same during the practice sessions.

Surely it makes off side shots quite a bit harder though??

i had an odd one the other day, we have a new player / bowler, he asked me if i could keep my legs apart (ooerr) when keeping as he aims at my legs for line not the wickets!

Jelly Beanz;27342 said:
Surely it makes off side shots quite a bit harder though??
That is where Foot work helps but any way i will be working on the back swing part this off season with my captain.
Let see how it shapes up.

Added 38 second(s) later...

Stumped;27381 said:
i had an odd one the other day, we have a new player / bowler, he asked me if i could keep my legs apart (ooerr) when keeping as he aims at my legs for line not the wickets!
Tom,
Is he an Off spinner??

my brother is two and a half years older than and is a leg spin bowler. he always manages to get me out! he also bowls a bit of off spin and i want to know how some players play a spinning ball.

By watching the spinner's wrist movement very closely in order to understand the spin he applies.
Their is also a theory of initial "forward press" movement when the spinner is about to bowl.
But since u started playing spin bowling so watch carefully his spinning hand and try to play within ur crease and not go out to strike unnescessarily.
Playing the ball on front foot or back foot will depend upon the spin,pace and length of the delivery.
So try to defend earlier to understand the spin and then u can carry on with much higher confidence.
The more u practice batting against spin the more confident u will be facing them.

no hes a medium pacer! and a very good one at that! it just seemed a strange request as he bowls wicket to wicket!

I always seem to struggle hitting the ball on my pads. I can seem to hit runs any other place where the ball is pitched, mind you i'm not playing such a high standard of cricket.

I always get 5-10 LBW shouts per innings but never am given out because I bat so far outside my crease, but do you know how I can limit those semi-chances being created? Someone tell me I need to be more effective off my pads

Without seeing you bat then I'd hazard that you have a problem with your head and balance when it comes to shots that you perceive to be hittable to the leg side.

Pick 3 leg side shots (a drive, glance and pull for example) and work on them from scratch. Try having the ball bobble fed fed to you, in order to allow you time to play the shot and ensure you have the right technique. You can can then move on to underarm throws and then onto normal bowling. Also, get someone to watch your head/eyes to see what is happening to them.

Another option is to take guard on leg stump as this will mean more balls will be hittable either to the off side or straight.

hi ive been opening the batting for my club. im not confident driving so i go half hearted and always get caught. does anyone know how to stop this.

Just on Saturday I scored 19 runs but one thing that anoyed me was that the ball before I got out, I tried to hook a bouncer which I missed and hit me on the helmet. I also got hit in the arm by a short ball and now I have just got no idea what to do when a bouncer is being bowled which might hit me in the head, is there anything that I should know about facing a bouncer because I don't mind pulling a ball that is around my chest.

Back