Trouble playing to the off side

lara501375

Trouble playing to the off side

Hey guys,
I find myself having a lot of trouble playing the ball to the off side, no matter what type of bowlers I am facing. I find I'm pulling, hooking, or glancing a ton, and not driving or cutting well at all. I want to get rid of my reputation as a slogger and actually start playing shots, and I've looked over pretty much every bit of advice on the internet, but I still just can't seem to play it on the off. Should I open my stance some more?
Thanks.

Re: Trouble playing to the off side

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you find that you're trying to work every ball to the leg side, no matter how far it's to the off? Or are you leaving balls outside off etc alone?

No, I'm working any ball thats on my stumps over to the leg side, anything outside off I either leave if it's too far or attempt to drive or cut but either miss or edge.

Could be a footwork and balance issue. You're unable to get far enough across to the ball so resort to 'pulling' it back to leg.

Try to get a bigger stride in, keeping the head still and over the ball. You may want to practice by hitting a stationary ball, then moving on to one that has been dropped in front of you etc, just to get used to getting that foot movement and bringing the bat down straight.

i would reccomend wen u want to play to the offside change ur back lift like michale vaughn says when he is cover driving. In stead of keeping ur backlift just angle it abit and i would reccomend this vid [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jTe_3TFtDE"]YouTube - Michael Vaughan Natwest Cricket Masterclass - Cover Drive[/ame]

good luck mate ;)

Back