Turning the ball

Matt2010

After working on my action and sort out the issues I had. I managed to cut down on the upward momentum and I am quite chuffed at my progress. Good! Next issue, turning the ball big . Any suggestions

After working on my action and sort out the issues I had. I managed to cut down on the upward momentum and I am quite chuffed at my progress. Good! Next issue, turning the ball big . Any suggestions

A big flick moving the wrist round further so that you're heading towards bowling a slider. Try and release the ball so that it's spinning on a tilted axis slightly.

I managed to cut down on the upward momentum

Do you mean you were giving the ball too much flight ?

Could be you are spinning the ball but not turning it because you are releasing topspinner as your natural ball, that can happen.

Dave gave a brief outline above of two important points and you can find some of his videos, photos, text and such that explain it more.

When you talk about "turning the ball big" I always think of Philpott's words "you dont always need or even want big turn". And he is talking about the general rule that the more you spin it sideways the slower the actual turn occurs.

If you try for absolute max spin as a stock ball or goal early on it could be disaster. The surface you bowl on itself is very important as well.

You have to be aware of hand position at release for big legbreak. You can practise that against a wall. It can take a while to get the third finger strong and toughened up. And you got to give it a big flick from a cocked wrist.

Some people just have naturally good wrist presentation when they flick the ball from the hand. If you read Philpotts book he talks about it in terms of 'Going round the loop' where you present the wrist position in accordance with the delivery you want. if you're a natural wrist spinner with good awareness of your wrist position as you release the ball it'll mean you just simply have to angle the wrist towards the desired direction that you want to the ball rotating in. If your not and you have trouble this might help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zob1Md0HVqs

arm position is nearly as important as wrist position i have found, the more upright your arm is the less spin you're going to generate. i see so many leggies coming straight over the top like an offspinner or a fast bowler and the seam is basically pointing at the batsman, and the ones they do get to turn never turn very much. i usually start off with a very low arm at the beginning of a session to get myself into the rhythm of spinning the ball hard at a relatively slow pace then build upwards. letting my arm come up a little higher and increasing the pace of my bowling relatively.

Completely beyond me, maybe something I'll look into in the future, if I get the big flick sorted for next season, maybe that'll be something I'll look to work with over the summer?

if the ball spins equally as hard, you can bowl it in the same controlled manner, and utilise all of the variations, then the grip doesnt really matter. the end result is all that is important. the conventional grip is used because it has proven to be the most effective for most of the people over the years. however there have been plenty of class leggies with unorthodox grips and actions. go with what is natural, and only change stuff if there is a specific purpose for it.

do you mean that you have tried to adjust your action to produce more turn, and that you have achieved this by going to an "unorthodox" grip? if so, then youll probably find that you are now just releasing the ball with a cleaner and better positioned seam. i have a weird action in that i hold my wrist the opposite way to what i should on approach, and bring my bowling arm over twice. the cocked wrist is just what gets the seam out where i want it, i tried the "Warne" approach with the wrist cocked the other way and less of a pre-swing, and it just doesnt work for me. go with whatever works and comes naturally!!

you may find that the grip and wrist evolve with the rest of the action though. i dont turn the ball much (or consistently) if my action is failing to rotate correctly. because i dont get my hips driving through the action i lean all over the place and my timing is off, and this results in the ball coming out with the seam angled back. if the seam doesnt touch the pitch then the turn doesnt occur as it should. simply finding my rhythm then suddenly produces monster turn and sometimes it leaves me totally baffled how i can just turn it on or off from one ball to the next. but as my action has become more consistent and more technically correct my presentation of the ball has had to adapt in line with it. you may find the same.

do you mean that you have tried to adjust your action to produce more turn, and that you have achieved this by going to an "unorthodox" grip? if so, then youll probably find that you are now just releasing the ball with a cleaner and better positioned seam. i have a weird action in that i hold my wrist the opposite way to what i should on approach, and bring my bowling arm over twice. the cocked wrist is just what gets the seam out where i want it, i tried the "Warne" approach with the wrist cocked the other way and less of a pre-swing, and it just doesnt work for me. go with whatever works and comes naturally!!

you may find that the grip and wrist evolve with the rest of the action though. i dont turn the ball much (or consistently) if my action is failing to rotate correctly. because i dont get my hips driving through the action i lean all over the place and my timing is off, and this results in the ball coming out with the seam angled back. if the seam doesnt touch the pitch then the turn doesnt occur as it should. simply finding my rhythm then suddenly produces monster turn and sometimes it leaves me totally baffled how i can just turn it on or off from one ball to the next. but as my action has become more consistent and more technically correct my presentation of the ball has had to adapt in line with it. you may find the same.

Jims right. Theres only so much turn you can get out of the wrist and fingers. The real turn comes when you get your whole body working together and that is why rhythm is so important.

Hey Matt,
I am a leggie and a big turner of the ball.
i didn't use to be but now i am.
there isn't really a trick.
all you really have to do is really rip it and have aggression.

Spikel, we're all ears - what's the secret? Or better still set up a camera or get one of your mates to film you bowl six balls all in succession outside of Leg turning into the stumps. We need someone on this thread who can really bowl a big turning Leg Break easily with consistency - and it sounds like you the man

Back