Twenty20 World Cup Discussion/Match talk thread

Ljp86

Staff member
Twenty20 World Cup Discussion/Match talk thread

And we're underway, England playing the Netherlands in the opening match. Netherlands asked England to bat first and they've raced to 0/9 after one over. Dirk Nannes opening the bowling for the Dutch side. Some of you will know Nannes plays for Victoria in the Australian domestic season. Nannes is the son of Dutch immigrants so is eligible to play for the Netherlands team, this is his Twenty20 (T20I) debut.

Ravi Bopara and Luke Wright opening the batting for England.

Re: Twenty20 World Cup Discussion/Match talk thread

Finally, a wicket. Bopara goes across the line, slogging toward long-on but picks out Seelaar in the deep. Ryan ten Doschate gets the breakthrough but England have raced to 1/102 in the 12th over, Bopara gone for 46 and Wright on 47.

Shah flicks de Grooth straight to Scherfeli at square leg. Nice shot but Shah will be disappointed with that effort.

2/113 in the 14th over, England would be looking for about 180 here if they are good enough. Wright on 53 and he will hold the key to getting 180. Here's the Irish convert Eion Morgan.

In a way, it's one of the best things that could happen for the tournament. An underdog winning helps to generate a bit of interest, just look at Ireland at the last world cup.

I guess it also shows that twenty20 has the ability to throw up shocks that the other forms of the game rarely do.

I wonder if the dutch have come down from the massive high last night. both the cricket and celebration after it :p

Although England do need to have a hard look at themselves, they were terrible in the field.

mas cambios;351612 said:
In a way, it's one of the best things that could happen for the tournament. An underdog winning helps to generate a bit of interest, just look at Ireland at the last world cup.

I guess it also shows that twenty20 has the ability to throw up shocks that the other forms of the game rarely do.

It may be good for everyone else but this is terrible for English cricket. Their fielding was absolutely abysmal last night and their batting at the end of the innings showed they don't have a middle-order finisher. 49 runs from the last 6.3 overs isn't good enough in Twenty20 cricket, they should have scored at least 170 after such a good start. They're now in grave danger of missing the Super Eights stage after starting slight favourites to win the group.

Full credit to the Natherlands though, they bowled well at the end to restrict England and they managed to stay a step ahead with the bat to pull off a pretty memorable win.

England's selection policy has been completely heinous over a very long period of time.

Pietersen, Swann: England's best player and it's most in-form player sit out because there's an Ashes series in a month's time and they'd better be right for that. After all, the Netherlands will never be a match for our ultra-consistent team of champions. :rolleyes:.

Mascarenhas, Napier: How many overs in 20/20? Twenty, you say? Well we better leave out our big hitters then, we need guys who can dig in and bat a long time. Why score 9-200 when we can be 5-160?

Collingwood: Should not even be in the squad, let alone the captain. A mediocre plodder with both bat and ball, and the cricketing brain of a pineapple. Oh gee, it's a bit wet, better chuck our first-game leg-spinner on. One ball left with 2 runs left to win? Well a draw should get us through, I'll just make sure there's nobody backing up the stumps so they can run an overthrow. We've missed about 700 throws today but this time I'm feeling lucky. Oh no, we lost! Oh well, I'll just go spin my obligatory "The lads are dissappointed but....." line, and make sure I mention the ashes so that everyone knows what we're really thinking about.

England management, selection and captaincy all toe a fine line between comedy and tragedy. Collingwood seems to be trying his hardest to make sure everyone knows that the ashes are the only game in town, and that this 20/20 thing is merely an unavoidable nuisance. Well fortunately it looks like England will have their way and Sunday will be a washout, ending their tournament and eclipsing '99 as their most pathetic world-cup effort ever. Based on their performance and attitude, England do not deserve any success and this embarrassing defeat is entirely fitting.

To think, two days ago I tipped England to win the whole thing :(

a for effort;351629 said:
No other teams failures are quite as spectacular as Englands
I dont know about that, another country has lost to Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in recent years :p

I'm torn atm, I want England to advance, but I also want to see Dirk Nannes rip apart the Aussies, yet their is no way for England to advance and the Dutch finish 2nd and with Australias group being so crap, they wont be finishing 2nd there

Why cant they have a real super 8's?

BTW on Collingwood shouldnt even be in the squad? Wow, alot of things come to mind saying that but I should be nice :)

eddiesmith;351641 said:
I'm torn atm, I want England to advance, but I also want to see Dirk Nannes rip apart the Aussies, yet their is no way for England to advance and the Dutch finish 2nd and with Australias group being so crap, they wont be finishing 2nd there
England v Pakistan is odds-on to be washed out, so if Netherlands beat Pakistan, England could go through on net run rate. Of course, Netherlands beating an established test-playing nation is a ridiculous notion.

eddiesmith;351641 said:
BTW on Collingwood shouldnt even be in the squad? Wow, alot of things come to mind saying that but I should be nice :)

Key as captain, any of the following to take Collingwood's place:
*Bell
*Strauss
*Patel
*Prior (as a batsman)

a for effort;351642 said:
England v Pakistan is odds-on to be washed out, so if Netherlands beat Pakistan, England could go through on net run rate. Of course, Netherlands beating an established test-playing nation is a ridiculous notion.

Key as captain, any of the following to take Collingwood's place:
*Bell
*Strauss
*Patel
*Prior (as a batsman)
Wow, unbelievable, none of them deserve a spot in an England limited overs side, let alone ahead of our best limited overs player

As for Key as captain? Shouldnt even get a game

But still with your example the Dutch finish 1st, they have to finish 2nd to meet Australia unless they lose against crap opposition

I think the best chance of the dutch advancing is to have their next match washed out, then they cant miss and then I have to hope Sri Lanka can pull of a huge upset

The Dutch lack some batting firepower, but they do have something other minnows dont, a superstar quick capable of reaching 150k/hr

and to think england invented this form of the game 4 years ago, probably because they were having trouble winning anything else.
well done netherlands, great effort. love to see them in the super 8s.

now that symonds is gone (he seems to be the aussie's non-upset assure, when he wasnt in the one game against bangladesh they lost, wasnt in the aussie side against a crap new zealand and they lost, etc etc) i wouldnt be surprised if the dutch beat the aussies now :).

happens every world cup no matter the sort. they have to ensure they back this win up.

eddiesmith;351645 said:
Wow, unbelievable, none of them deserve a spot in an England limited overs side, let alone ahead of our best limited overs player

As for Key as captain? Shouldnt even get a game

Collingwood is nobodies best limited overs player. He's part of the Duncan Fletcher "I like this guy let's pick him forever regardless of whether he deserves his spot" legacy.

Bell - Scapegoat for England mediocrity, should be one of the first picked in any England XI.

Patel - Consistent county performer, has looked capable in his limited England opportunities.

Key - Not much separating him and Collingwood batting-wise, but widely considered the best captain in England, as opposed to Collingwood who couldn't captain his way out of a paper bag.
Robert Key is a good bet to be England Twenty20 captain - mirror.co.uk

Prior - Hasn't played much 20/20 at international or domestic level, but is a quality bat, and with Foster behind the stumps he could chuck his trash-can lids under his bed and focus on his batting.

Don't get me wrong, I like Collingwood and the way he plays. I'd certainly have him in England's ODI team, but it's a stretch to call him England's best one-day player. He is a reluctant captain (and a bad captain), and 20/20 cricket just doesn't seem like the format that best suits his game.

a for effort;351638 said:
England's selection policy has been completely heinous over a very long period of time.

Pietersen, Swann: England's best player and it's most in-form player sit out because there's an Ashes series in a month's time and they'd better be right for that. After all, the Netherlands will never be a match for our ultra-consistent team of champions. :rolleyes:.

Mascarenhas, Napier: How many overs in 20/20? Twenty, you say? Well we better leave out our big hitters then, we need guys who can dig in and bat a long time. Why score 9-200 when we can be 5-160?

Collingwood: Should not even be in the squad, let alone the captain. A mediocre plodder with both bat and ball, and the cricketing brain of a pineapple. Oh gee, it's a bit wet, better chuck our first-game leg-spinner on. One ball left with 2 runs left to win? Well a draw should get us through, I'll just make sure there's nobody backing up the stumps so they can run an overthrow. We've missed about 700 throws today but this time I'm feeling lucky. Oh no, we lost! Oh well, I'll just go spin my obligatory "The lads are dissappointed but....." line, and make sure I mention the ashes so that everyone knows what we're really thinking about.

England management, selection and captaincy all toe a fine line between comedy and tragedy. Collingwood seems to be trying his hardest to make sure everyone knows that the ashes are the only game in town, and that this 20/20 thing is merely an unavoidable nuisance. Well fortunately it looks like England will have their way and Sunday will be a washout, ending their tournament and eclipsing '99 as their most pathetic world-cup effort ever. Based on their performance and attitude, England do not deserve any success and this embarrassing defeat is entirely fitting.

To think, two days ago I tipped England to win the whole thing :(

Have to agree with you on the selections of Pietersen, Swann, Mascarenhas and Napier. After Wright and Bopara departed, England needed someone like Pietsersen to come out and play some shots to keep that run-rate going, they had no-one to do that after the openers departed. Swann is one of their best spinners, yet they won't pick him for whatever reason, it's just absolutely stupid.

Key batting in the middle order is pointless considering he has batted at three for most of his career and did so in last year's county Twenty20 competition. His spot could have easily been filled by Mascarenhas who can hit the ball a long way and is capable of playing a little cameo at the end, a 20 off seven or eight balls would have been enough for England to win last night. Dimitri can also bowl a few overs also if needed.

Collingwood is a hard one, there's no-one to really captain the side out of the squad they have at the tournament now. I agree that he isn't that good a player but there's really not many options besides Colly and he is at least gives 100%. Key would be the most obvious candidate but I don't think his stay in the Twenty20 team is going to be lengthy plus he is more suited to the longest form of the game. It's interesting to note that Collingwood is such a high-class fielder yet England made so many errors in the field last night.

a for effort;351642 said:
Of course, Netherlands beating an established test-playing nation is a ridiculous notion.

:D

a for effort;351650 said:
Collingwood is nobodies best limited overs player. He's part of the Duncan Fletcher "I like this guy let's pick him forever regardless of whether he deserves his spot" legacy.

Bell - Scapegoat for England mediocrity, should be one of the first picked in any England XI.

Patel - Consistent county performer, has looked capable in his limited England opportunities.

Key - Not much separating him and Collingwood batting-wise, but widely considered the best captain in England, as opposed to Collingwood who couldn't captain his way out of a paper bag.
Robert Key is a good bet to be England Twenty20 captain - mirror.co.uk

Prior - Hasn't played much 20/20 at international or domestic level, but is a quality bat, and with Foster behind the stumps he could chuck his trash-can lids under his bed and focus on his batting.

Don't get me wrong, I like Collingwood and the way he plays. I'd certainly have him in England's ODI team, but it's a stretch to call him England's best one-day player. He is a reluctant captain (and a bad captain), and 20/20 cricket just doesn't seem like the format that best suits his game.

Patel would be there, if it wasn't for his fitness. got freak like skills though. and has made an impact in the limited time he had in England line up.

Key is good captain, should be ahead of collingwood. hang on, what has collingwood done lately to warrant his selection? In any format for that matter.

Bell, a little underrated for me. not sure if he is in the ODI outfit, but should be. Reminds me a lot of Damien Martyn in his effortless talent.

and on a final note, have the English selectors finally woken up and seen that Foster is a much better choice in most forms of the game. thank lord. :D

Ian Bell- A scapegoat? He is an underpeforming, talent wasting, soft cricketer who simply has never stepped up when needed and will be lucky to get back in any time soon

Key batted in the middle order because for once the openers (Luke Wright being one who is always bagged by England fans) made runs and when they went out it was decided to change the order, had they lost an early wicket he would have gone in at 3 and probably failed. He doesnt take his fitness seriously enough to be considered as a captain of an international side

Speaking of unfit cricketers, Patel? Hasnt he been told to get off the Cosgrove diet and start resembling something that is capable of a tough international schedule? Come back when he does it

As for Prior, looks good in test cricket, average in ODIs, not worth the selection in T20's

Collingwood is our best T20 bat, the only member of the squad who can hit 6's consistently (Even Pietersen sucks at that!) and is a bloody handy bowler. The problem with all those options is they dont bowl, Collingwood is an allrounder and has shown more than Dimi or Napier ever have

Ljp86, they didnt drop Pietersen or Swann, they are both injured and they decided not to risk them, although I think Pietersen was just scared of Nannes :D

eddiesmith;351669 said:
Ian Bell- A scapegoat? He is an underpeforming, talent wasting, soft cricketer who simply has never stepped up when needed and will be lucky to get back in any time soon

*cough*justlikebradhodge*cough*

Seriously, Ian Bell has the natural ability to be in the top few batsmen in the world. He's done no favours by the media, who love to jump on his back every time he gets out in the 30's and by the England selectors who shunt him around the order every 5 minutes. He scored 60* off 46 balls in his last 20/20 but apparently that doesn't match up to the majestic standards set by Collingwood and co.

eddiesmith;351669 said:
Key batted in the middle order because for once the openers (Luke Wright being one who is always bagged by England fans) made runs and when they went out it was decided to change the order, had they lost an early wicket he would have gone in at 3 and probably failed. He doesnt take his fitness seriously enough to be considered as a captain of an international side
Personally I wouldn't care if my captain was a fatty, as long as he set good fields, bowled the right bowlers and could speak at less than 5 cliches per minute.

eddiesmith;351669 said:
Speaking of unfit cricketers, Patel? Hasnt he been told to get off the Cosgrove diet and start resembling something that is capable of a tough international schedule? Come back when he does it
See above point

eddiesmith;351669 said:
As for Prior, looks good in test cricket, average in ODIs, not worth the selection in T20's
eddiesmith;351669 said:
Collingwood is our best T20 bat
eddiesmith;351669 said:
the only member of the squad who can hit 6's consistently
eddiesmith;351669 said:
and is a bloody handy bowler.
Please justify

eddiesmith;351669 said:
The problem with all those options is they dont bowl, Collingwood is an allrounder and has shown more than Dimi or Napier ever have
Anderson
Sidebottom
Broad
Wright
Rashid
Bopara
Mascarehnas

And if needed:
Napier
Pietersen
Shah

How many more bowlers does a squad need?

a for effort;351671 said:
*cough*justlikebradhodge*cough*

Seriously, Ian Bell has the natural ability to be in the top few batsmen in the world. He's done no favours by the media, who love to jump on his back every time he gets out in the 30's and by the England selectors who shunt him around the order every 5 minutes. He scored 60* off 46 balls in his last 20/20 but apparently that doesn't match up to the majestic standards set by Collingwood and co.

Wow, Ian Bell averages well over 50 does he? Everyone claims Bell is a superbly talented cricketer and Collingwood is a hack, so why is Collys test average higher? Why can Collingwood makes runs against top opposition and Bell cant? Even in ODIs they are mighty close given Bell is a batsman and Collingwood an all rounder who has only really been used as a batsman in recent years. Hell since Bell started Collingwood averages more with the bat in ODIs

He has had more chances than anyone else would get and simply doesnt perform and maybe they move him around because they are trying to find somewhere they can fit him in, only spot he ever looked good in tests was no6, but we dont play 6 batsmen anymore

In ODIs he has only ever had a couple of good series and they were at home and for a top order batsman has just 1 century, even Colly has 4

You claim Bell is a scapegoat, Collingwood is used as a punching bag for most people, you like to do it as well, yet despite a lack of talent he still outperforms Ian Bell easily

Personally I wouldn't care if my captain was a fatty, as long as he set good fields, bowled the right bowlers and could speak at less than 5 cliches per minute.

See above point

So making runs and being able to play all matches and contribute dont matter?

Please justify

On the sixes comment, averages 1 per innings, Wright 1 every 3 innings, Pietersen about 1 every 2 innings, Collingwood has nearly twice as many 6's as KP and they have the same amount of innings

14 wickets @ 18 is more than handy for your 5th bowler

As for Prior, averages just 25 in ODIs and in T20I's, had a few chances and never made runs, how many chances should he get?

Anderson
Sidebottom
Broad
Wright
Rashid
Bopara
Mascarehnas

And if needed:
Napier
Pietersen
Shah

How many more bowlers does a squad need?

If you want to count Bopara, averages about 50 at ODI level and never been trusted in T20Is

Oh btw, whos keeping in your side? You do realise you have just named 10 players and no keeper or Key nor Prior who you want as a batsman alone?

Back