U19 Tri Series in South Africa

hattrick

U19 Tri Series in South Africa

Cricket South Africa (CSA) today announced the fixtures for the upcoming tri-series between South Africa U19, Sri Lanka U19 and India U19. The tournament will be the prelude to a thrilling season leading up to the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup in New Zealand in January.

“The next few months are key for U19 cricket and the tri-series will be a brilliant opportunity to kick-start intensive preparations. We have a new crop of talented youngsters and this will be the opportune time to sort out our squad prior to the U19 showpiece,” said CSA Youth Cricket Manager, Niels Momberg.

The sides will play four round-robin matches against each other, with the top two teams taking part in the final on January 5 2010. South Africa will feel they have a score to settle against reigning world champions India, who pipped them by 12 runs in the final of the 2008 event in Malaysia, while Sri Lanka, who are busy with a similar series against Pakistan U19 and Bangladesh U19, will provide the unpredictable zest to the series.

“India and Sri Lanka are world-class sides and this will bring a feast of cricket for the Highveld. There isn’t much time before the World Cup and it will be vital to get the momentum running as soon as possible,” ended Momberg.

Warm-up fixtures
Monday 21 December 2009, South Africa v USSA- King Edward School
Wednesday 23 December 2009, USSA v Sri Lanka- King Edward School
Wednesday 23 December 2009, Gauteng Inv XI v India- St. Johns School
Thursday 24 December 2009, USSA v India- King Edward School
Thursday 24 December 2009, Gauteng Inv XI v Sri Lanka- St. Johns School

Fixtures

Sunday 27 December 2009, South Africa v Sri Lanka- Bidvest Wanderers Stadium
Monday 28 December 2009, South Africa v India- Bidvest Wanderers Stadium
Wednesday 30 December 2009, India v Sri Lanka- King Edward School
Thursday 31 December 2009, South Africa v Sri Lanka- Bidvest Wanderers Stadium
Saturday 2 January 2010, Sri Lanka v India- St. Johns School
Sunday 3 January 2010, South Africa v India- King Edward School
Tuesday 5 January 2010, Final King Edward School

Re: U19 Tri Series in South Africa

Should be a pretty interesting series. I don't know much about Sri Lanka's young 'uns, but the South Africa/India matches will definitely be worth watching. They've both got some great young talent.

I agree with you and it is great that the Under 19 component is actually getting some media coverage. I think it is great that the nations are doing some major preparation prior to the Under 19 World Cup.

I wish to see a cracker-packed series b/w India and SA. Always good to see some budding young players giving their best.

Back