Underarm Flick

Re: Underarm Flick

Are we talking about hitting the stumps with a 1 arm underam throw after running in and picking up?

For me there are a couple of key things I like to get everyone doing:

1. Get low and stay low: hips, head and hand all the way through the movement.
2. Although executed as one smooth movement, in your head there are distinct parts: pick up the ball, then look at the target, then release.
3. Use your whole body to flick it, drive through with your legs, extend your hips and arm and let the ball just take that energy straight towards the stumps.

Harrowdrive said:
Are we talking about hitting the stumps with a 1 arm underam throw after running in and picking up?

Exactly what I'm after! I just can't seem to keep the ball down, keep firing it in at about head height, not a clue why.

Will have a look at what I'm doing and then compare with the above.

One thing I find useful with this is to release the ball early in the movement, but still follow through towards the stumps. Maybe the reason the ball is going in head height is because you are holding on to it too long?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHPrHkavD_Y"]YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass fielding tips[/ame]

Around 6.30 there's a bit about underarming at the stumps - not much by way of description, but you'll see how they go about it I suppose.

edladd said:
One thing I find useful with this is to release the ball early in the movement, but still follow through towards the stumps. Maybe the reason the ball is going in head height is because you are holding on to it too long?

Having a look at what I'm doing and I think I'm coming off balance causing myself to jerk my arm up at the last moment. I just need to work on keeping balanced and it should come together.

Next time you find yourself kneeling on your Swiss Ball, swing your arms, alternately, forward and backwards. Progress to holding balls in each hand and eventually letting go.

Liz Ward said:
Next time you find yourself kneeling on your Swiss Ball, swing your arms, alternately, forward and backwards. Progress to holding balls in each hand and eventually letting go.

That sounds a great idea, will be giving it a go. I don't know why I'm having troubles never had a problem before with it.

Back