Uneven Bounce

Uneven Bounce

Hi Darren,

On a wicket with uneven bounce helping the bowlers with pace and swing;what are the important aspects for a batsmen to undertake(including trigger movement)

Re: Uneven Bounce

The biggest thing is to watch the ball, sounds basic but I think its something that some of us overlook.

I would also say that maybe you don't need such a big backlift as normal, just in case you need to jab the bat down to block out a low one.

As for footwork, well, balance is going to be the key, make sure you can go forwards or backwards with ease and quickly.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
Hi Darren,

On a wicket with uneven bounce helping the bowlers with pace and swing;what are the important aspects for a batsmen to undertake(including trigger movement)

My garden is just about as uneven as it gets (I'll post a picture soon, including the stones). The key to playing it is to get far forward (bat out your crease?) and protect the stumps, because any ball may skid in and hit the stumps. Pad up heavily because a ball my pop up and hit you in the arm or thigh.

As for trigger movements, the good ol' back and across is perfectly adequate.

Furthermore, play the ball as late as possible so you can figure out whether this one has popped up or skidded and make sure to play yourself in, especially looking for which areas of the pitch do what.

on a wicket thats keeping low and the odd one bounces unexpectedly i always take a big forward stride and just let the ball hit my body if it bounces up akwardly. otherwise moving as late as possible is the key so and helps to judge the bounce before commiting to the shot.

If you're playing on a wicket which is keeping low mainly then batting slightly outside your crease and getting well forward is the way to go.

If you're playing on a real minefield and the ball is shooting and popping then it comes down to plain old bravery!

If the pitch is doing everything other than behaving i tend to stand with my back foot on the crease, and my leading foot somewhere out infront, i usually have a little bigger stride on pitches like that, it helps especially if the balls moving in, as i've got a better chance of just knocking it away. If it is moving out, then i've just got to hope i get some bat on it, and not lead it to the keeper.

Yep, all over, its like im one of those targets which people use with bow and arrows. I once had one so close to the "particulars," that i was scared for my health of my children :eek:

batting outside the crease is great advice. its helps in a lot of ways and unsettles the bowler too. i know its hard to not poke at bouncing balls but you need to wear some extra protective gear on these pitches and have a quick eye.

DaZ said:
Yep, all over, its like im one of those targets which people use with bow and arrows.  I once had one so close to the "particulars," that i was scared for my health of my children  :eek:
maybe you should wear something known as the box

Mike111 said:
maybe you should wear something known as the box

If you have ever been hit there, you'd realise that it does not prevent an amazing amount of pain but only reduces the affect slightly.

slightly. lol without the box im sure one would die of the pain. the box reduces the pain to a great extent.
i think getting hit on the head or the chest would be a bigger concern on such pitches. you should be in most cases prevent the ball hitting your valuables.

A good hit on the head really shows you who are good batsmen and who aren't. Good players will wince off the pain and just get on with it, those who cant hack it, will fall to the ground and bat on, i'd only go down if i seriously couldn't bat on.

I've had many a ball to the shoulder, elbow and generally top half of me, i rarely get his down there, but it has happened, its always funny afterwards, not too much at the time.

manee said:
If you have ever been hit there, you'd realise that it does not prevent an amazing amount of pain but only reduces the affect slightly.

I don't know a good box does save quite a bit of pain, it only really hurts when the damn thing splinters and you catch a bit of skin there, think zipper x 10.

Simbazz said:
A good hit on the head really shows you who are good batsmen and who aren't. Good players will wince off the pain and just get on with it, those who cant hack it, will fall to the ground and bat on, i'd only go down if i seriously couldn't bat on.

I've had many a ball to the shoulder, elbow and generally top half of me, i rarely get his down there, but it has happened, its always funny afterwards, not too much at the time.

Exactly;I just ignored the hit and carried on batting.Also got the assurance that the helmet is of good quality
:) :)

I think high bounce is easier to deal with than low.

Low is very difficult as a shooter can catch you out more than the high. Look at KP today, was looking good only to be undone by the one that kept low.

I agree.
That is the reason i raised a question in this forum.
To which i got lots of response; but the best one :D came from Darren.
Read it very interesting :)

Back