Unfair bowling

akkers

Unfair bowling

I was at an important match yesterday. 'Our' team was batting first and lost early wickets. Then one of my kids went in to bat. He got set in and was there for 3-4 overs when this happened.

The spin bowler was taking about 4-5 paces run up and bowling. In this particular delivery he just got the ball from a fielder, took 1-2 steps and bowled immediately - bowling the batsman out.

From the batsman point, he had just put his bat down and when he lifted his head, the ball was already in flight. Instead of backing out he just went through the motion and got bowled. He put his hands out to the umpire who would not have any of it.

The batsman was absolutely gutted. He had got himself set in and was looking to make a good score and rescue his team.

Talk of unfair play. Some people will do anything to win. For legal reasons I cannot name the offending team but SHAME on them. This is not cricket! What do readers here think of this practice.

Re: Unfair bowling

akkers;356283 said:
I was at an important match yesterday. 'Our' team was batting first and lost early wickets. Then one of my kids went in to bat. He got set in and was there for 3-4 overs when this happened.

The spin bowler was taking about 4-5 paces run up and bowling. In this particular delivery he just got the ball from a fielder, took 1-2 steps and bowled immediately - bowling the batsman out.

From the batsman point, he had just put his bat down and when he lifted his head, the ball was already in flight. Instead of backing out he just went through the motion and got bowled. He put his hands out to the umpire who would not have any of it.

The batsman was absolutely gutted. He had got himself set in and was looking to make a good score and rescue his team.

Talk of unfair play. Some people will do anything to win. For legal reasons I cannot name the offending team but SHAME on them. This is not cricket! What do readers here think of this practice.

Surely that's down to the umpire at the bowlers end. He should have been holding the bowler back to till the bat was ready and in his 'Take guard' position and looking up? Batsmen go through a little routine normally as they take guard and then they look up. The umpire would normally give a second or two and check the batsman is ready sometimes there's a nod of the head as well and then he drops his arm and they're off. You're right it's just not cricket and shame on both umpires. Usually if you have no official umpires it's the batsman's team mates that do the umpiring or if it's kids - a coach from each team which normally sees to fair play being upheld.

Was this in the UK or somewhere else?

Yep, the umpire should have called dead ball and given 5 penalty runs.

I play in games with player umpires who may not know that. If that was the case and I was batting I would have just thrown the ball back to the bowler, told him not to be so silly and get on with the game.

where was the ball delivered from? taking one or two steps it might still be behind the umpire. In which case, there is a possibilty of a no ball, if umpire cannot be sure of legal action and delivery.

This happened in a place in the UK yesterday. Pity I can't name the team as it was a junior match. The match was a final and they had arranged neutral league umpires (people who ARE supposed to know the rules).

Actually I gave a lecure to the bastman afterwards and asked why he did not move away from the crease if he was not ready; he said he could'nt. I suspect when he lifted his head, the ball was already in flight and he just went along with it. After he was bowled he raised his hands at the umpire to no affect and then as he walked pass the umpire he told him but the umpire did not want to know.

I personally do not mind other other teams winning but when they do it through unfair play and trickery I get annoyed.

one thing that HAS to be taught to youngsters is the first and foremost rule when playing cricket: when playing the spirit of the game must be upheld and all play sportsmanlike, moral and completely fair. it isnt up to the umpires to ajudicate all of this, the players must take it on themselves to make sure that cricket doesnt end up like soccer with players doing stupid things like diving just to score a penalty. the youngsters should have been lectured long and hard after that, even if they werent on the offending team.

but, saying that, there are slight variations in the rule to ensure that play is both entertaining and enjoyable for all players, and shows the men from the boys. when i bowl offspinners one of my trick deliveries is starting my delivery stride one step earlier and hurrying through it, bowling a quicker delivery. it isnt to the extent you are saying, i am still in front of the umpire except about half a metre back. i bowl when the batsman is just unready, not completely unready. what happened in that game should not have been allowed to happen and the kid who was bowled had every right to protest (although preferably after the game as you should NEVER second guess the umpire, even if you think they are doing the wrong thing) and shouldnt be made to feel like he should have backed away.

notrunout;356356 said:
where was the ball delivered from? taking one or two steps it might still be behind the umpire. In which case, there is a possibilty of a no ball, if umpire cannot be sure of legal action and delivery.

Just to extend that point. There are only 2 considerations in this circumstance:

1. The bowler has thrown it
2. The bowler has delivered the ball with the back foot touching the return crease (an imaginary line extends as far bas as needed).

In the case if 1. it is the square leg umpire to decide but he can't give a no ball unless he is 100% sure it has been thrown. In the case of 2 the umpire could signal no ball if he was unsure of the position of the back foot.

It is legal to bowl from behind the umpire though.

Law 24.5 if you want to look it up.

micoach;356349 said:
Yep, the umpire should have called dead ball and given 5 penalty runs.

I play in games with player umpires who may not know that. If that was the case and I was batting I would have just thrown the ball back to the bowler, told him not to be so silly and get on with the game.

Doctor W.G. in da houseeee!!

And agreed. Thats the correct ruling and I would have given the bowler a spray.

akkers;356283 said:

Laws of cricket state that the batsman must have given the bowler attention for 5 seconds before the bowler can commence the run up. I am assuming that this was a junior team, so as you being the coach, you have the right to remonstrate if your batsman has been cheated out. Just quietly, I would have lost the plot completely. If your in an association league, call a representative and report the umpire for unfair conduct. Even I feel robbed by that

joshie91;362141 said:
Laws of cricket state that the batsman must have given the bowler attention for 5 seconds before the bowler can commence the run up.

Almost, there is no set time limit, but the batsman must be ready.

micoach;362905 said:
Almost, there is no set time limit, but the batsman must be ready.

apologies, 5 seconds is the recommended 'waiting' time before commencing your run up. And i believe that in this case, the umpire is to blame, since he is supposed 2 hav his arm our until the batsman is ready anyway

i did this in under 12s once. id taken 4/5 and turned around and changed my run up.. instead of 15 paces i came off 5. the batsman saw me coming but i dont think it registered that i was going to bowl it because my run up was so much shorter..

ended up taking 6/8 but felt bad about the kid i bowled.

it is pretty pathetic, they are only kids, and already they have been taught that winning is the only thing that matters, probably by their parents and coaches. One of the main parts of cricket is the spirit of the game. It's even in the preamble of the laws for heavens sakes.

To be fair the batsman could have stepped away, as he is allowed to under the laws, and say that he wasn't ready.

but still, it was a low act

I went out in a similar way on 4 today. The bowler must of come off a shorter runup and as I raised my head the ball cannoned into my pads, didn't even have time to back away, and the umpire (who was our guy) said I'm meant to be ready when the bowler starts running up?

That's not correct.

The batsman should be ready and facing up when the bowler is at the top of their run. Facing up includes looking up and acknowledging the bowler. If you don't look up when the bowler turns around, then you haven't faced up. If you still haven't looked up when the bowler nears their delivery stride, the umpire should call dead ball.

Boris;385660 said:
That's not correct.

The batsman should be ready and facing up when the bowler is at the top of their run. Facing up includes looking up and acknowledging the bowler. If you don't look up when the bowler turns around, then you haven't faced up. If you still haven't looked up when the bowler nears their delivery stride, the umpire should call dead ball.

Trouble is I'm stuck in a low grade where our teammates have to umpire, they don't know all the rules. I tried to say I wasn't out but you can't argue with the umpire. I knew I was right, but it's too late now.

breeno;385669 said:
Trouble is I'm stuck in a low grade where our teammates have to umpire, they don't know all the rules. I tried to say I wasn't out but you can't argue with the umpire. I knew I was right, but it's too late now.

As is the joy of cricket.

Perhaps borrow my favourite shot. I'm often known as the umpire killer because at least once in every innings I play a baseball style pull straight down the ground, almost always at the umpire. Been caught twice by the bowler, but it does set the umpire in line if they look like giving you out. :p

Back