Vaughan quits as England captain

mas cambios

Vaughan quits as England captain

A tearful Michael Vaughan has resigned as England Test captain after five years, saying it was both the hardest and the easiest decision he had made.

Vaughan added: "I've put my heart and soul into the job but my head is telling me to pack it in."

He confirmed he would not play in the final Test at The Oval, where England face South Africa on Thursday.

Paul Collingwood has quit as one-day captain. A captain for Thursday's Test will be announced on Monday.

As above, Collingwood has also gone.

The selectors are thought to favour having one captain for both jobs, so that looks like it leaves us with only one candidate - KP.

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Vaughan quits as England captain

It still leaves Cook as a candidate but he's fairly young and his ODI place isn't completely secure so yeah, KP has got to be favourite, but maybe Bell has an outside chance.

i'd have thought strauss was more likely, he was captaining yesterday when vaughan was off the field

yeah is probablly a good thing vaughan is going for the batting though it will be interesting to see who comes in as captain and how they captain, i would prefer to see cook or strauss as captain though it seems they want a single captain for all forms so pietersen seems likely though I don't think that will be a good thing for the team as pietersen isn't exactly a team player and i think cook would probablly be a better choice if they want a choice for all forms.

will be interesting to see who comes in at 3, hopefully will be owais shah who definitely deserves his chance, though bopara and surprise captaincy candidate key also are worth goes, though with the england selection commitee who knows. I think the best thing to do would be to have a complete overhaul and get rid of moores and the other head selector who's name escapes me and build for next years ashes, as my confidence in them after pattinson and the current england performances i think warrant.

Back