Video analysis camcorder / software

So how long can this casio record in video format for. With my crap tape digital video i could record 1 hour. I have a canon eos, so am not interested in a digital camera. I am more interested in a camcorder with capability for videoing for longish time with which i can slow the video with the software you guys(and doll) have directed me to.

I don't think the casio is an option for you Saddo, it's sounding like the format that it films in when shooting slo mo is a bit obscure. You may be best looking at the options that Jim suggested initially. My Canon G9 which is then editable records an hour in high quality on one battery.

Ben, do you reckon that with a good tripod (A big pro one) with the camera set above head and extended arm level pointing downwards at the top section of your body - Hand (release) arm, head and shoulders in the frame you'd be able to get the release action filmed so that you could see whether you were 'Rolling' or 'Flicking' the ball at the point of release? Do you have any technical knowledge e.g do you know what aperture the camera would be working in when used in full light and what the hyper-focal distance might be say at a distance of about 3 meters? Which in laymans terms is asking when you use it fairly close up have you noticed whether it has a tendency for just the point of focus to be sharp and in focus or does pretty much everything else in the picture out of focus? Sorry - another fairly technical question - does it have a manual focus optiom and when used in auto focus mode does it follow the action pretty well? For instance if I was shooting the top half of my body trying to capture sharp images of the the release will the camera initially focus on the background as I wont be in frame, but then as I come into frame is it going to pick me up and set a half decent focusing point e.g. my face or my arm coming over?

A few minutes later....... I reckon this pretty much answers my question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6H0YeAAN0Y to some extent, although the action is going sideways so uses the depth of field in the most efficient manner, whereas if it was shot front on - the question would be - would the yo you in this clip move in and out of focus ? What do you reckon?

I don't have any real knowledge of cameras sorry Dave. I have mucked around a couple of times at 1000fps to try and get the release but its never really worked. I have a tripod but it only extendeds up to about 1.7m so I would have to rig up something else to get above my head.
Talking about focus though I have just watched a few of my old videos at 210fps. When it is at the bowling end looking down the pitch I looked at the stumps at the other end and they are ever so slightly blurry but as I enter shot from 2-3m from the camera there is no change in the camera's focus of the stumps whilst I seem in good focus. But this is a complete novice's opinion so I really don't think I would notice subtle changes that you would.
I'll probably get down to the nets on Sunday morning and try and get a few videos of the release at the higher frame speed settings and you can see for yourself and maybe provide some advice on getting better results. I'm confident though that I can capture the release to a half decent standard.

Hi, I am the UK Agent for Siliconcoach and have been reading this thread with some interest. We have a new online Video analysis App which I know Liz (3rd thread down) has trialled and quite liked. If anyone wishes to try for free then please go to www.live.siliconcoach.com where you can create an account, log in and then have free access to the Siliconcoach trial Zone. In here you can upload videos for analysis, share them and discuss them online also. Please feel free to share the link with anyone who may find this of interest and any feedback would be gratefully received. Please note the site is in beta format at the moment so not everything works and there are a few 'tidy ups' required! IE 8 or Firefox / Safari is best and you will also need Microsoft Silverlight to make the movies run. I can be reached at ukadmin@siliconcoach.com and would be happy to hear from you.

I have been playing around with this resource, most recently with a young spinner from India, and have to say, I have been having huge fun getting to know my way around; drawing arrows, measuring angles etc. Notwithstanding, the free access is limited, it affords far more than youtube.

The great thing about it is, once you are registered, you can upload a video and open a discussion with whomever, and how many, other registered users you wish. So, it can be private on a one to one basis, private on a one to few basis or public open to every member.

If anybody would like an analysis of their, or their children's actions [whatever discipline of the sport], I shall be hovering around for a week or so. If you would like to take me up on this offer, please use the user name 'SIM', not my name ;).

EDIT: I should have said that I cannot zoom in on the free access so good, close recordings are necessary.

Why don't you all register and play amongst yourselves!!!

I have been playing around with this resource, most recently with a young spinner from India, and have to say, I have been having huge fun getting to know my way around; drawing arrows, measuring angles etc. Notwithstanding, the free access is limited, it affords far more than youtube.

The great thing about it is, once you are registered, you can upload a video and open a discussion with whomever, and how many, other registered users you wish. So, it can be private on a one to one basis, private on a one to few basis or public open to every member.

If anybody would like an analysis of their, or their children's actions [whatever discipline of the sport], I shall be hovering around for a week or so. If you would like to take me up on this offer, please use the user name 'SIM', not my name ;).

EDIT: I should have said that I cannot zoom in on the free access so good, close recordings are necessary.

Why don't you all register and play amongst yourselves!!!

Might have a look tonight then if I get time.

Very good Dave.

I have not tried to upload a video but I guess, like anything, it probably takes a while to get used to.

I have posted a few points but as this is a free resource, it has its limitations. The full product, which costs £50, will have much more, including different colours for annotation etc.

You have only included me in the discussion, if you want to include others, you need to put their name in the right hand box, or transfer all. TBH, there are only a few cricketers on at the moment, including TonyM and orient, who is an ECB L3 coach tutor and assessor, so may not come on unless emailed.

EDIT: Would you believe it... just found the colour change button - and a few others! :oops:

Very good Dave.

I have not tried to upload a video but I guess, like anything, it probably takes a while to get used to.

I have posted a few points but as this is a free resource, it has its limitations. The full product, which costs £50, will have much more, including different colours for annotation etc.

You have only included me in the discussion, if you want to include others, you need to put their name in the right hand box, or transfer all. TBH, there are only a few cricketers on at the moment, including TonyM and orient, who is an ECB L3 coach tutor and assessor, so may not come on unless emailed.

EDIT: Would you believe it... just found the colour change button - and a few others! :oops:

Yeah, Initially I got no-where with it and posted a comment saying it was little short of useless, but for some reason I had a third go and got the video uploaded. The main issue I had was that there's that big list of people and there's no real indication as to what their sport/speciality is, so there seems to be no way that you're able to ask questions of the people interested in your specific sport?

Liz from what I've seen so far it's pretty good and I'm just in the process of up-loading the rear view. I've tried to invite Tony and that bloke Orient, but it looks like only the Orient bloke was added.

In nutshell
which one we should prefer for sports video analysis...Can we get ultra slow motion recording without destortion, extra zooming without any loss of PIXELS ???
which one is good for amateurs or sport enthousiast
  1. Digital Camera with HD video recording
  2. SLR with HD recording
  3. Conventional Video CAm with HD recording

In nutshell
which one we should prefer for sports video analysis...Can we get ultra slow motion recording without destortion, extra zooming without any loss of PIXELS ???
which one is good for amateurs or sport enthousiast
  1. Digital Camera with HD video recording
  2. SLR with HD recording
  3. Conventional Video CAm with HD recording

No.1 - There's camera here at the college where I work that shoots in real time in good light that can then be slowed down in a program called 'Final Cut Pro'. According to the technician it's capable of full frame 1000 frame a second in HD. No doubt it's not cheap, but I'll try and find out what the model is, all I know is that it's a Canon digital video camera. The key thing is your budget, how much have you got to spend on such a luxury item, unless of course your work in this area? If you had £20,000 you could buy the real hi-speed cameras. Or alternatively if you had hundreds of pounds to spare - hire one of the hi-speed cameras from someone like Olympus. Sport enthusiasts it does seem as though the Casio Exilim EX FC100 or similar are the best options. 400 FPS.

Back