Video Analysis Of Leg Spin Bowling..... Advise/ Suggestion Welcome!!!

Very good he1... you are becoming a very good off spinner. Go with what comes naturally, you will get far greater results. You are growing too so don't be put off by strange things happening! ;) Nice to see you are getting some coaching.

Hi Liz

nice to see u after a long gap... oops! is it Off spin... by the way can u pls tell what are the strange things u noticed...Yah already been to coaching academy for 2 yrs ...and enjoying spinning...

@Liz Can I be invited in other cricketing zones thru Silicon coach? Is there any good site where biomechanical analysis can be ascertained online?....

Sorry HE1, it was my little joke... not very funny :D You are of course bowling leg spin but you have a good off spin action.

During a growth spurt, you may find your line and length change... sometimes for the better but more often than not for the worse. Don't let that worry you, just keep doing what you are doing and it will come right again. This happens due to longer levers and changes in centre of gravity. It may not have happened yet but it will do.

As for analysis, I am afraid all other zones, other than Lite, are membership only and you will find very little free help on the internet.

Sorry HE1, it was my little joke... not very funny :D You are of course bowling leg spin but you have a good off spin action.

During a growth spurt, you may find your line and length change... sometimes for the better but more often than not for the worse. Don't let that worry you, just keep doing what you are doing and it will come right again. This happens due to longer levers and changes in centre of gravity. It may not have happened yet but it will do.

As for analysis, I am afraid all other zones, other than Lite, are membership only and you will find very little free help on the internet.

:) Yah its a nice one !! it is to inform that my son seems to have mild knock knee (G Valgum) bcoz still he is not comfortable in doing Butterfly exercise well (Padmasana in Yoga). Is it the cause for his non widening of back leg while pivoting which u had pointed earlier ???

Fortunately, although it may appear so, your son is not 'knocked kneed'. His issues are due to his weak posterior muscles which he should work to strengthen. He is particularly weak in the gluteus medius. This is also, probably, why he has issues with the Lotus; rather than 'opening' his hips to push the knees down, he needs to laterally rotate... a very subtle difference in the action... it may help if he clenches his gluteus maximus!

Hi tcs.

What is it that you are trying to fix?

There are quite a few things that need to be fixed in my opinion. How to I go about changing these, this is where I need some suggestions.
1. Does not get a lot of turn. His grip is OK, he has ripped his ring finger skin two times, so I know he is using it.
2. No drift, but gets dip due to top spin.
3. Needs to engage shoulder, seems like he is bowling with his arm.
4. Pivot foot landing is toe first, although he knows he needs to pivot, it is not effective.
5. Needs muscles (needs to eat more to start with).

On california concrete wickets, senior players want the kids to bowl quicker. This may be one reason he is trying to bowl faster. Also he came from medium pace into spin.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with 1. and 2. as the videos do not show enough detail.
3. His bowling shoulder is nicely engaged but as he is a 'fast' spin bowler, his arm is going to come through faster than normal.
4. His ffc is nice; again fast! Good heel/toe action with strong pivot.
5. Not knowing enough details about your son the best I can suggest is reading the nutrition and fitness threads under general coaching on this site. The bodyweight programme will be great, no matter what age he is.

I do not have anything against your son's desire to bowl spin but he obviously has a strong pace action, I wonder why he decided to change.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with 1. and 2. as the videos do not show enough detail.

Thanks you Liz for your comments, very valuable.

I will try to shoot his wrist and fingers, I have been meaning to do this.

Why he left pace is a long story. Lets just say that he has a highly flexible arm and natural bend. A lot of "non experts" were calling his action a throw, making his life miserable.

Two more follow on questions:

1. Should be slow his action down to bowl spin?.
2. What do you think of his non-bowling arm?

Hmm, shall I join in or is that going to confuse things? It looks like he needs to slow things right down, so much so, it might be a good idea to have a look at what he does if you apply it to the stand start drill. I'd suggest giving the stand start a go and just see what the outcomes are. If you can video from the front and perhaps shoot 6 balls one after another with ample time showing a second or two in front and behind the actual explosion through the crease if you then edit them, at the minute the editing is so tight we have no sense of the approach or the follow through. If you get time set the camera up behind the bowler too and let us see the outcomes.

If you execute the stand start drill correctly it will potentially high-light some of the positives and negatives and give him a completely different perspective of his bowling potential.

I really feel for your son tcs. I find it extremely annoying when people, who do not know what they are talking about, feel the need to show their ignorance. :mad: A shame... it looks like he would be quite dangerous bowling pace. He is quite flexible and could use his body well.

However, I quite like his current action and I am sure it will confuse many batsmen. People will tell him to slow down but don't listen... he really is on to something here. He just needs more practise. You will also find people telling him to straighten his non-bowling arm. Again, tell him to keep doing what he is doing. He really needs to play with what he has and let it evolve naturally. If he slows down naturally, let him but don't force it. Try not to let him compare himself with other bowlers; quite honestly he will fail. He must be the best that he can be and I think he is on the right journey.

Now is not the time to mess with your son's action... unless it is causing him discomfort. After quite a bit more practise... possibly a year... tweaks can probably be made but not now. I suspect the issues you see with his outcome are due to the fact that he has not quite worked out whether he is bowling leg spin or off spin. Tell him to relax and not worry too much about the outcome... just watch it and see what happens. At the moment, one is possibly cancelling out the other. ;)

In the meantime, get him to work on his muscular strength and endurance, but don't worry too much, he uses his muscles well, especially the shoulder stabilisers... he bowls with a lovely back.

I really feel for your son tcs. I find it extremely annoying when people, who do not know what they are talking about, feel the need to show their ignorance. :mad: A shame... it looks like he would be quite dangerous bowling pace. He is quite flexible and could use his body well.

However, I quite like his current action and I am sure it will confuse many batsmen. People will tell him to slow down but don't listen... he really is on to something here. He just needs more practise. You will also find people telling him to straighten his non-bowling arm. Again, tell him to keep doing what he is doing. He really needs to play with what he has and let it evolve naturally. If he slows down naturally, let him but don't force it. Try not to let him compare himself with other bowlers; quite honestly he will fail. He must be the best that he can be and I think he is on the right journey.

Now is not the time to mess with your son's action... unless it is causing him discomfort. After quite a bit more practise... possibly a year... tweaks can probably be made but not now. I suspect the issues you see with his outcome are due to the fact that he has not quite worked out whether he is bowling leg spin or off spin. Tell him to relax and not worry too much about the outcome... just watch it and see what happens. At the moment, one is possibly cancelling out the other. ;)

In the meantime, get him to work on his muscular strength and endurance, but don't worry too much, he uses his muscles well, especially the shoulder stabilisers... he bowls with a lovely back.

Doh! See......... I'll shut up now:rolleyes:

Didn't see your last post before I posted again :D One of us will need to stop... I think it will be me!

Before I go, what you say is extremely valid Dave.

Combine both answers!
As Liz as said don't reject the idea of bowling fast wrist spin, it would be rather unique and there is a precedent for it and the nearest modern equivalent is Alfridi, so there is validity in pursuing it. But, consider the stand start as a way of just exploring and examining what you do. Give it a go and see how your action works, see if the ball spins and perhaps even drifts. With youth on your side and your physique and the fact that as Liz says you're putting your back into it, your fast arm action combined with the correct release should produce drift as well as spin?

No, don't delete your post Dave. These are two views from totally different perspectives and it is really helpful to mention the stand start drill.

Like you, I am extremely excited by this action. I wouldn't suggest anybody else copy it though; this guy has a different set of tools in his box. I just hope we are kept informed to see how this pans out.

No, don't delete your post Dave. These are two views from totally different perspectives and it is really helpful to mention the stand start drill.

Like you, I am extremely excited by this action. I wouldn't suggest anybody else copy it though; this guy has a different set of tools in his box. I just hope we are kept informed to see how this pans out.

Consensus!

There are quite a few things that need to be fixed in my opinion. How to I go about changing these, this is where I need some suggestions.
1. Does not get a lot of turn. His grip is OK, he has ripped his ring finger skin two times, so I know he is using it.
2. No drift, but gets dip due to top spin.
3. Needs to engage shoulder, seems like he is bowling with his arm.
4. Pivot foot landing is toe first, although he knows he needs to pivot, it is not effective.
5. Needs muscles (needs to eat more to start with).

On california concrete wickets, senior players want the kids to bowl quicker. This may be one reason he is trying to bowl faster. Also he came from medium pace into spin.

Without wishing to confuse even more by adding to Liz and Dave's comments, going back to your original points I would back up what Liz has said about letting him 'settle in' to what he wants to bowl and what he feels comfortable with initially without looking to make lots of changes in search of some sort of holy grail of spin. Dave's comment about slowing down was (I guess) driven from the usual MO of a leggie looking to 'deceive' the batsman which relate to your items 1 and 2. Your lad looks a different type of bowler so really needs to work out how 'his' style is going to be effective either in reducing scoring opportunities and/or taking wickets. On a very quick look and with not much to go on video wise, I would think he needs less turn and drift, as the batter will have less time to react, than a conventional spinner. Its interesting that you list the top spinner as that may be more of a threat with the ball coming of the suface a different paces with variable bounce given that things seem to be pretty quick anyway. So just let him play for a bit and see where it goes for now (I have things I am not 100% about as a coach but without seeing more of him and given that his action is still 'work in progress' just support him in enjoying practicing the new action)

Back