video analysis of my leg spin bowling (part 2)

Jim2109

video analysis of my leg spin bowling (part 2)

so ive got a few more slow motion videos of my bowling. for anyone that missed the original thread on the subject, see here http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t70777/

its still early pre-season, this was only my 4th 90min session this year, so im still finding my rhythm again. but so far the results are starting to look positive. Im making improvements every session, and im nearly back to the standard I had reached by the end of last season. although im already more consistent and accurate.

anyway, heres the videos...

The first 4 are just stock leg breaks, mostly pitched somewhere around the stumps, and a few of them turning nicely. the net surface was very damp (slippery underfoot in places), and the air temperature not far above freezing. so any turn at all is fairly impressive in those conditions lol.

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 1 (Feb 2010)

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 2 (Feb 2010)

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 3 (Feb 2010)

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 5 (Feb 2010)

this one was supposed to be to a right hander, but it landed on a pretty much perfect line and length to a left hander, and took the top of off stump. this is the perfect "wicket" ball to a leftie!! driving length, turning back in slightly.

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 4 (Feb 2010)

then this video is just my white ball with black tape perpendicular to the seam illustrating my revs. the seam rotation is perfectly on-axis, however the ball itself is slightly angled back and it doesnt land on the seam when it hits the pitch. the 4-6" of turn that it generates are entirely off the surface of the ball. bearing in mind that this is one of the shiniest balls i own!! there are crazy revs on it, 1475 rpm to be exact. a new personal best.

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break - RPM analysis (Feb 2010)

i think my technique is a lot more solid than it was at the end of last season. my front arm is much more controlled and focussed, my feet are straighter, my momentum is better. i wasnt bowling at 100% speed and effort today, probably about 80% because i was trying to iron out issues. i need to work on my wrist position to land the ball on-seam more consistently. and i need to get some video from further away so i can see my feet and legs. as there was a coach at the nets today with his son and he gave me some advice on foot and hip alignment, and why it might be the cause of my inconsistency down the leg side.

lots to work on anyway, and probably about 6-8 weeks or so til the season starts. il try and get some more video in a few weeks once ive made some more improvements (hopefully). i also need to get some video of my new flipper action. i cant bowl it over 22 yards yet, but over 16 yards its looking excellent.

Re: video analysis of my leg spin bowling (part 2)

i just checked the speed of my deliveries on a video. the accuracy is give or take 1-2mph as im estimating length. but bearing in mind the delivery is flighted and losing speed all the time, the average speed is still 35mph! its not unrealistic to think that peak speed out of the hand would be up around 45-50mph. i wasnt at full effort today either, so i reckon my stock ball is probably around 48-50mph, with the ability to bowl an effort ball up around 53-55mph, and a slower one around 43-45mph. il get some side-on footage next time im at the nets with some distance markers so i can measure it properly.

Jim2109;388289 said:
so ive got a few more slow motion videos of my bowling. for anyone that missed the original thread on the subject, see here http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t70777/

its still early pre-season, this was only my 4th 90min session this year, so im still finding my rhythm again. but so far the results are starting to look positive. Im making improvements every session, and im nearly back to the standard I had reached by the end of last season. although im already more consistent and accurate.

anyway, heres the videos...

The first 4 are just stock leg breaks, mostly pitched somewhere around the stumps, and a few of them turning nicely. the net surface was very damp (slippery underfoot in places), and the air temperature not far above freezing. so any turn at all is fairly impressive in those conditions lol.

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 1 (Feb 2010)

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 2 (Feb 2010)

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 3 (Feb 2010)

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 5 (Feb 2010)

this one was supposed to be to a right hander, but it landed on a pretty much perfect line and length to a left hander, and took the top of off stump. this is the perfect "wicket" ball to a leftie!! driving length, turning back in slightly.

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break 4 (Feb 2010)

then this video is just my white ball with black tape perpendicular to the seam illustrating my revs. the seam rotation is perfectly on-axis, however the ball itself is slightly angled back and it doesnt land on the seam when it hits the pitch. the 4-6" of turn that it generates are entirely off the surface of the ball. bearing in mind that this is one of the shiniest balls i own!! there are crazy revs on it, 1475 rpm to be exact. a new personal best.

YouTube - Leg Spin Bowling - Leg Break - RPM analysis (Feb 2010)

i think my technique is a lot more solid than it was at the end of last season. my front arm is much more controlled and focussed, my feet are straighter, my momentum is better. i wasnt bowling at 100% speed and effort today, probably about 80% because i was trying to iron out issues. i need to work on my wrist position to land the ball on-seam more consistently. and i need to get some video from further away so i can see my feet and legs. as there was a coach at the nets today with his son and he gave me some advice on foot and hip alignment, and why it might be the cause of my inconsistency down the leg side.

lots to work on anyway, and probably about 6-8 weeks or so til the season starts. il try and get some more video in a few weeks once ive made some more improvements (hopefully). i also need to get some video of my new flipper action. i cant bowl it over 22 yards yet, but over 16 yards its looking excellent.

Yeah it looks a lot better overall, looks fast as well. It'd be interesting to see the whole run up, the point at which the footage starts indicates that you've got a very different approach to the wicket than me and it'd be interesting to see the whole thing. I suspect though you're using a trigger mechanism as the footage starts at exactly the same point? Looks like you've got very enthusiastic players at your team if they're starting outside on Feb 13th - I thought it was only the likes of us that played right through the winter? Where we are it was 6 degrees centigrade and that was cold enough and you're only wearing a T-Shirt!!!!

I'd like to see you bowling with a bucket of 20 balls or more with the camera left on to see how consistent you are?

i was bowling with a bag of 12 balls today. i might leave the camera running next time, not in slow motion as it can only do 3 seconds at a time, but in HD just to see. the quality is miles better in normal speed as well.

the trigger is that little black box on the floor at the end of my run up that i step on. its coincidence that it all starts around the same point, because recording doesnt "start" until i hit that button, then it captures the 3 seconds of video prior to it. but my run up usually ends in roughly the same place at roughly the same time.

if you put all of the delivery videos in tabs on your browser and pause them at the release point, 5 of the 6 look almost identical in posture. one of them i am slightly more upright (the one that goes furthest to the leg side). my action is getting very consistent now! most of my issues seem to stem from my natural action pointing towards the leg side (my whole posture aims that way if you watch closely), and the bad balls are now stemming more from the ball getting trapped in my fingers (drag downs, floaters, etc).

next time ive got the camera out il record a prolonged period of deliveries though. and il obviously position the camera further away to capture more of the action.

i may have a "stump cam" lined up shortly too. my business sells some camera equipment for motorsport applications, but one of our product ranges is made by a company called GoPro who make extreme sports cameras (you may already be aware of them). theyve now released HD cameras that are pretty much bombproof. so i wouldnt hesitate to tape one to the stumps, theyre invincible! so that could give some better footage of the ball off the pitch. i could even have it running with a batsman in the nets too. might be useful, might not, but its worth having a play with.

someblokecalleddave;388294 said:
...Looks like you've got very enthusiastic players at your team if they're starting outside on Feb 13th - I thought it was only the likes of us that played right through the winter? Where we are it was 6 degrees centigrade and that was cold enough and you're only wearing a T-Shirt!!!!

Son number 2, a spinner, saw me analysing the videos and stood watching for a while. I turned around to smile at him as he put his hand to his chin with a very quizzical expression and said, "There's something wrong with this."

I thought, "Great!" and with pride I gave him the look as if the say, "Go on."

"It's February" he beamed, "he should be playing rugby!"

Ah well! :D.

Congrats good video as usual, Jim. Takes courage to bowl in a t shirt. You said it was windy at first do you think it helped you or hindered you as I know you previously posted that you prefer a breeze even if it is a stiff wind.

Some comments. To be honest I am a purist at heart even though my action definitely is not elegant to put it mildly. You have beautiful revs, but I noted in these last videos that you seem to have added some movements to the bowling. What I mean to say is that, the movements have to be so much in synch that if a fraction of one of the movemnts is marginally mis-timed , we get aweful deliveries. I might be wrong but thought that your action in the summer was more simplified. Granted you are getting more action on the ball and more speed, but my impression was in summer there was more drift. It could be the humid air, track and ball, or the imperfect seam position you stated(oh for a perfect seam position).

Regarding the seam position did you try adjusting your grip minimally rather than changing the wrist position that looks so beautiful on the videos. By the way you seem to have strong wrists, do you/did you do any manual work/ sport that helped you in that department?

Those are my opinions, but obviously if nearly everything is in sync in your action, and you get the results, why listen to all this ****************!

Oh, and a full run up would do very nicely. We are turning into voyeurs here::eek:

sadspinner;388419 said:
Congrats good video as usual, Jim. Takes courage to bowl in a t shirt. You said it was windy at first do you think it helped you or hindered you as I know you previously posted that you prefer a breeze even if it is a stiff wind.

it wasnt that kind of a wind really. it was very occasional gusts, not the kind of wind that moves a ball in flight. i quite enjoy bowling into the wind, but ive got my technique to a point now where i dont mind either way. im equally happy with or without, but a bit of extra drift and dip is never a bad thing.

sadspinner;388419 said:
Some comments. To be honest I am a purist at heart even though my action definitely is not elegant to put it mildly. You have beautiful revs, but I noted in these last videos that you seem to have added some movements to the bowling. What I mean to say is that, the movements have to be so much in synch that if a fraction of one of the movemnts is marginally mis-timed , we get aweful deliveries. I might be wrong but thought that your action in the summer was more simplified. Granted you are getting more action on the ball and more speed, but my impression was in summer there was more drift. It could be the humid air, track and ball, or the imperfect seam position you stated(oh for a perfect seam position).

what specific movements do you notice? im not saying that there arent any extra bits there, but ive not noticed them myself, so someone elses insight would be useful. i think my action looks relatively similar in most aspects. it has always been very sensitive to timing, but thats the nature of being front on i guess. i have to rotate my arm across the line of the delivery, so releasing even a fraction of a second early or late will result in a change in line. i think this all stems from foot and hip position though, which is my next area to look at. i also wonder if being more roundarm would help, but im reluctant to alter my natural arc.

with regards drift, it just doesnt happen for me much in cold weather (given that most people dont bowl in near freezing temperatures, i wonder if it works for anyone? lol). i was getting a few to really shape, but on the most part there was nothing on offer. at indoor nets however i can get it to drift pretty big, maybe because theyve got heaters blowing air around, so you get some humidity and temperature in there. my seam rotation is generally either perfect or close to it. in warmer weather i usually get quite a lot of drift. if i scrambled the seam then id get more consistent turn, but id probably lose the drift. its a bit of a catch 22.

sadspinner;388419 said:
Regarding the seam position did you try adjusting your grip minimally rather than changing the wrist position that looks so beautiful on the videos. By the way you seem to have strong wrists, do you/did you do any manual work/ sport that helped you in that department?

i adjusted my wrist. but youd struggle to spot the difference, its REALLY subtle. i dont know that i actually changed anything at all in the action itself. but basically when i run up, i try to tilt my wrist about 20 degrees backwards of where it would normally be. in the video though it clearly is still bent the other way, so i guess it might be one of those psychological things like Dave and his "karate chop legbreaks" to overcome googly syndrome. mine is a mental perception of a bent wrist to compensate for the seam angle. but the wrist doesnt actually alter much. it needs to be slightly cocked at release and then id find the seam much more consistently.

with regards strong wrists, i guess they are fairly strong (at risk of inviting the usual jokes about why that might be :rolleyes:). my job (and most of my hobbies) involves working with spanners and manual tools quite often, so ive got very strong forearms. which i guess means strong wrists as well, and the combination seems perfect for leg spin.

sadspinner;388421 said:
Oh, and a full run up would do very nicely. We are turning into voyeurs here::eek:

next time i practice il get a video with the full run up. i thought my camera angle was wider than it was the other day because i wanted to see my feet and legs, but when i downloaded it to the PC they werent there.

I do not have access to the you tube videos, but it could be that it is something in the wrisy, or maybe the butt kick that i think i saw that gave me that impression. Any way as usual, the more you think about the action, the less you can think were you can land it. It may be that us leggies over analyse what we do which sometimes hinders progress.

As regards the forearm muscles, it may be a good idea for me to purchase some spanners, that might add to the revs generated

sadspinner;388426 said:
As regards the forearm muscles, it may be a good idea for me to purchase some spanners, that might add to the revs generated

get a powerball!! i got one about 5 months ago and i use it every now and again for a few minutes at a time. its hard to say how much that helps, but i reckon if you dont use your forearms intensively in everyday life then it would be more effective.

Jim2109;388297 said:
i was bowling with a bag of 12 balls today. i might leave the camera running next time, not in slow motion as it can only do 3 seconds at a time, but in HD just to see. the quality is miles better in normal speed as well.

the trigger is that little black box on the floor at the end of my run up that i step on. its coincidence that it all starts around the same point, because recording doesnt "start" until i hit that button, then it captures the 3 seconds of video prior to it. but my run up usually ends in roughly the same place at roughly the same time.

if you put all of the delivery videos in tabs on your browser and pause them at the release point, 5 of the 6 look almost identical in posture. one of them i am slightly more upright (the one that goes furthest to the leg side). my action is getting very consistent now! most of my issues seem to stem from my natural action pointing towards the leg side (my whole posture aims that way if you watch closely), and the bad balls are now stemming more from the ball getting trapped in my fingers (drag downs, floaters, etc).

next time ive got the camera out il record a prolonged period of deliveries though. and il obviously position the camera further away to capture more of the action.

i may have a "stump cam" lined up shortly too. my business sells some camera equipment for motorsport applications, but one of our product ranges is made by a company called GoPro who make extreme sports cameras (you may already be aware of them). theyve now released HD cameras that are pretty much bombproof. so i wouldnt hesitate to tape one to the stumps, theyre invincible! so that could give some better footage of the ball off the pitch. i could even have it running with a batsman in the nets too. might be useful, might not, but its worth having a play with.

Yeah love the Go pro cameras Surf Reports, Surf Forecasts and Surfing Photos I'm considering getting one for the summer when I get to surf next, no-one believes I can do it and this might at last show people that yes I can!!

Just put it up behind the net?

Hey Jim! I couldn't help but notice you posted video of yourself bowling in the past week and I thought -- hey why not have a look for you.

I've got some suggestions -- I don't want to impose.... so take heed of what you will and ignore the rest haha.

1) Is it just me or are you dropping it a little bit short? Perhaps it was just the camera angle.
1a) One potential hazard of your action is dropping it short -- and perhaps dropping it short frequently. In video number 4 of your latest leg break video -- nice delivery.... at 0:19 seconds at the moment of front foot landing you are leaning forward quite a bit. Mark Nicholas always talks about keeping tall -- he's not so much an expert on bowling... but in this case it's true. At foot landing you want balance... you want your head over your belly button.

2) Glaring problem! At ball release look at your hips and look at your shoulders. At 0:20 of the same video, the ball has just left your hand. Draw a line from your left shoulder to your right shoulder, then compare this to a line drawn from your left hip to the right hip..... OMG! Very bad for your back - but more importantly very hard to bowl accurately with.

3) I would also say perhaps consider a change to your back leg position. Your back foot lands at 0:12, and it is pointing to fine leg at 45 degrees. This perhaps evens out your crazy hip and shoulder alignment allowing you to bowl more leg side-ish. The problem is -- it really is inefficient mechanics. Straight line motion is overrated -- rotation is much more powerful. Your back leg is pointing at 45 for one purpose only -- to push forward your thigh in that direction. Side-on bowling works by putting your back leg point directly square to the leg side -- a side-on bowlers thigh then "sort of" feels like it is rotating anti-clockwise towards the batsman. Consider doing this -- BUT in combination with proper shoulder and waist alignment.

4) Don't worry if you didn't know the answer to this before, but do you know why you use the non-bowling arm? People say it is to guide your front arm. I think that's rubbish. You use it to help you stretch and hence extend your torso/chest/shoulders! If you look in Terry Jenner's blog you might find a mention of Shane Warne and his blessed non-bowling arm generating more spin. Well -- it generates more spin because it stretches your torso providing more force so that he doesn't drop short when he tries to RIP IT. Now what is the proper non-bowling arm method? Well I don't really care where it goes -- but I do care about what it does to your chest. What do I mean? Stand up out of your chair... and put your arms out to the side like your are about to do star jumps -- then try to extend. Do you feel it in your shoulders, your back, and in your chest? That is 50% of your upper body you can utilise that most people simply ignore. 50%! Experiment with how you use your non-bowling arm -- but try to think about stretching your chest, shoulders, and back muscles with your non-bowling arm. Could make a HUGE difference.

5) some good points. Despite your leg alignment problems, you do extend your back leg out very nicely. This provides maximum propulsion. Good trunk tilt (i.e. your body leans to the off-side... good for more velocity) and good trunk lean (you lean forward... too early as I said before [1a]... but it definitely looks like you are trying). You also land pretty well on your front leg, and you extend your body over it pretty well after you release. Some good fundamentals really.

Summary: Balance at front foot landing; shoulder and waist alignment; a more side-on approach... or just more consideration of your back leg (particularly the thigh muscle); really think about and experiment with non-bowling arm action.

doctortran;396028 said:
Hey Jim! I couldn't help but notice you posted video of yourself bowling in the past week and I thought -- hey why not have a look for you.

I've got some suggestions -- I don't want to impose.... so take heed of what you will and ignore the rest haha.

1) Is it just me or are you dropping it a little bit short? Perhaps it was just the camera angle.
1a) One potential hazard of your action is dropping it short -- and perhaps dropping it short frequently. In video number 4 of your latest leg break video -- nice delivery.... at 0:19 seconds at the moment of front foot landing you are leaning forward quite a bit. Mark Nicholas always talks about keeping tall -- he's not so much an expert on bowling... but in this case it's true. At foot landing you want balance... you want your head over your belly button.

2) Glaring problem! At ball release look at your hips and look at your shoulders. At 0:20 of the same video, the ball has just left your hand. Draw a line from your left shoulder to your right shoulder, then compare this to a line drawn from your left hip to the right hip..... OMG! Very bad for your back - but more importantly very hard to bowl accurately with.

3) I would also say perhaps consider a change to your back leg position. Your back foot lands at 0:12, and it is pointing to fine leg at 45 degrees. This perhaps evens out your crazy hip and shoulder alignment allowing you to bowl more leg side-ish. The problem is -- it really is inefficient mechanics. Straight line motion is overrated -- rotation is much more powerful. Your back leg is pointing at 45 for one purpose only -- to push forward your thigh in that direction. Side-on bowling works by putting your back leg point directly square to the leg side -- a side-on bowlers thigh then "sort of" feels like it is rotating anti-clockwise towards the batsman. Consider doing this -- BUT in combination with proper shoulder and waist alignment.

4) Don't worry if you didn't know the answer to this before, but do you know why you use the non-bowling arm? People say it is to guide your front arm. I think that's rubbish. You use it to help you stretch and hence extend your torso/chest/shoulders! If you look in Terry Jenner's blog you might find a mention of Shane Warne and his blessed non-bowling arm generating more spin. Well -- it generates more spin because it stretches your torso providing more force so that he doesn't drop short when he tries to RIP IT. Now what is the proper non-bowling arm method? Well I don't really care where it goes -- but I do care about what it does to your chest. What do I mean? Stand up out of your chair... and put your arms out to the side like your are about to do star jumps -- then try to extend. Do you feel it in your shoulders, your back, and in your chest? That is 50% of your upper body you can utilise that most people simply ignore. 50%! Experiment with how you use your non-bowling arm -- but try to think about stretching your chest, shoulders, and back muscles with your non-bowling arm. Could make a HUGE difference.

5) some good points. Despite your leg alignment problems, you do extend your back leg out very nicely. This provides maximum propulsion. Good trunk tilt (i.e. your body leans to the off-side... good for more velocity) and good trunk lean (you lean forward... too early as I said before [1a]... but it definitely looks like you are trying). You also land pretty well on your front leg, and you extend your body over it pretty well after you release. Some good fundamentals really.

Summary: Balance at front foot landing; shoulder and waist alignment; a more side-on approach... or just more consideration of your back leg (particularly the thigh muscle); really think about and experiment with non-bowling arm action.

Dr Ran have a look at mine as well see what you reckon to my bowling action Have a look at the video clips of my bowling on youtube, see what you reckon YouTube - Someblokecalleddave leg breaks rotational analysis slow motion.avi

doctortran;396028 said:

1) some of them are a bit short. its not necessarily a problem i encounter regularly, the occasional ball is short, but then the occasional ball is wide as well lol. im consistent to an area about 2 yards long by a yard wide on average. i have spells where i will bowl a dozen perfect balls in a row, and then for the next hour scatter them all over the place. my action is still in transition, as i need to transfer the weight onto my toes earlier, but also stay tall. i find at present that if i hang back with my weight i bowl the ball upwards. getting my weight forwards is what is working at the moment. and until i figure out how to fix that its going to have to stay that way.

2) i know my shoulders and hips dont align. ive spoken with Liz Ward in some length about my action and the injuries its causing me, and the potential for more. Liz in fact mentioned my back, but given that im only a spinner i dont know that its going to cause me problems. ive never felt any kind of strain in my back. the mis-alignment is partly the cause of my lower leg injuries though.

3) i tried side on and its against my natural action. speaking with Liz she has advised me to try and be front-on as much as i can, and embrace the fact that my natural action is that way inclined. im trying front on, and so far its yielding better results than my attempts to get side on. again, im in transition so im still working on feet landing, etc.

4) il try experimenting more with my leading arm.

thanks for the advice again, its always helpful. my action is a long way from perfect, but its moving forwards all the time. slowly but surely. eventually im sure il hook it up and find a good balance. at the moment im fixing one area and then highlighting another.

Funnily enough Jim, I spotted the back foot thing in your videos too. I know that you're chest-on and that means your back foot isn't going to be pointing square on the leg side, but I think that it's got straighter down the pitch since your videos last summer.

Back