Video Analysis/suggestions On Action

Invested in a used casio for slow motion video and here are the latest action of my son at 240fps

Back:

Side:

A few of areas that come up again and again
1. Upper body bends sideways at backfoot landing, as a result the arm is at 12'0 clock and his body is bent like a bow !
2. He seems to want to land his left foot towards fine leg, but landing on toe (?) rotates it in line with stumps
3. Needs more rip/rev on the ball. He can do this well when he is tossing it to me, once he starts to bowl
he seems to release very quick.
4. Does he need to get more side-on?. What are teaching points to get side on?

Any suggestions for remedy?

Invested in a used casio for slow motion video and here are the latest action of my son at 240fps

Back:

Side:

A few of areas that come up again and again
1. Upper body bends sideways at backfoot landing, as a result the arm is at 12'0 clock and his body is bent like a bow !
2. He seems to want to land his left foot towards fine leg, but landing on toe (?) rotates it in line with stumps
3. Needs more rip/rev on the ball. He can do this well when he is tossing it to me, once he starts to bowl
he seems to release very quick.
4. Does he need to get more side-on?. What are teaching points to get side on?

Any suggestions for remedy?

His arm is a little high. Other than that there isn't really a problem with his body.

His arm rotation through release is still the major problem though. Everything is fine until 0:04, but then if you stop the side-on video at the moment just before and after release, you can see your son is releasing the ball like a seam bowler, not like a legspinner. This is why he is not getting much spin.

I think the problem is that he is trying to run before he can walk - he needs to get the pronation + wrist extension into his muscle memory before trying to replicate it over 22 yards.

I would recommend going back to one knee drills over 12 yards and trying to spin the ball hard towards third man and get plenty of spin and turn. Keep doing this until he is able to replicate it in his bowling action.

Thanks SLA. is the problem at the time of release - is his arm position OK until then?
Is there an illustration of position of arm, wrist and finger just before and just after?.
This will help. We have been doing a lot of stand start drills, may be needs more reps.

Thanks SLA. is the problem at the time of release - is his arm position OK until then?
Is there an illustration of position of arm, wrist and finger just before and just after?.
This will help. We have been doing a lot of stand start drills, may be needs more reps.

His arm needs to stay fully supinated until the very last minute, and then the arm should quickly twist inwards (pronate) and the wrist extend as the ball is being released. At the moment he appears to be doing this prematurely: for example at 0.05 he still has the ball in his hand but his arm is now facing forwards and his wrist is completely straight, whereas if you compare this with someone like Warne the ball is behind the wrist as his arm comes up. Look at the 4th row, 3rd column, how Warnie is pulling the ball up and over. At this point your son is pushing the ball.

WarneActionsidesmall.jpg

Perhaps get one of those red and white half coloured balls so that he can get some immediate feedback as to whether it is coming out with the correct spin. I suspect at the moment you would see backspin and a scrambled seam.

SLA - I see your point.

Will show him today and see if he can delay his wrist rotation to just before release and see what happens.

Appreciate your feedback.

SLA has done a good job picking out your biggest problem and I like his one knee drill over 12 yards as a way to get the arm and wrist function of the legbreak. Going more roundarm in this exercise might help as well.

At the moment he looks like he is bowling legcutters not legbreaks. I'd like to see him cock his wrist a lot more and drop his arm.

Thanks macca.
One knee drill = start with the left leg planted and bowl over it with correct wrist position and release ?

Back