Video guide to knocking your bat in.

mas cambios

Video guide to knocking your bat in.

Though there is a thread on this, I feel this video is so good it deserves it own space!

It's presented by Stuart Kransbueler, Head bat maker of Gray - Nicholls Australia and the guy really knows his stuff!

Watch and learn:-

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCfOQpwqp8I[/ame]

Re: Video guide to knocking your bat in.

great video hepls alot
lucky i don have to knock my bat in tho
the place were i buy my bats from knock it in for you for free!!
Kingsgrove Sports

Yeh, my coach who works at Gray Nicholls Aust. gave us all that DVD :p

Great vid on knocking in and oiling. I also had my bat knocked at the store that I bought it for free. They put it on a machine that apparently does 6000 repetitions, 3000 up side-to-side and 3000 down. Just wondering though, whether I should still do it manually with a mallet especially along the edges? Has anyone else had their bat knocked in on a machine and has it been sufficient? Also, in the video he mentions that the face should be oiled with about 2 or 3 coats I think. I've given mine one coat not wanting to over oil it as suggested in the other post by AA on oiling and knocking in. Would that be ok as I don't want to under prepare and risk damaging the bat as it cost me quite a bit.

I got that DVD with my bat. It also has interviews with Matthew Hayden, Andrew Symonds and Phil Jaques.

And as for knocking it in on a machine, i got told that you should just give it a bit of a go in the nets with an old ball and to see if any seam marks appear.

You still should knock your bat in for a fair few hours if it's been machine knocked in.

ShaneS said:
Also, in the video he mentions that the face should be oiled with about 2 or 3 coats I think. I've given mine one coat not wanting to over oil it as suggested in the other post by AA on oiling and knocking in. Would that be ok as I don't want to under prepare and risk damaging the bat as it cost me quite a bit.

It's very much something that changes from person to person. I've always been told 1 maybe 2 coats is enough and have had few problems personally or from people who have bought bats from me.

However, there is the other school thought that says that 3 or 4 coats are required. It may stem from how 'dry' the atmosphere is where you live? As long as you have put some on then you should be ok.

I think the advice will always be that it's better to under oil than over-oil as over-oiling causes the wood to rot, under oiling can leave the wood a little dry but you can always rectify that with a nice coat of oil.

As for knocking in, you will still need to do it manually for a few hours. The problem with the machine knocking the bat in is that it does it too quickly so the fibres can 'spring' back. Doing it over a greater length of time stops this from happening.

Give it 2/3 hours then see if any seam marks appear (or if you can make a dent with your finger nail in the corner of the blade). If they don't you're good to go, if they do, then go back for another hour or so.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll start knocking it in this evening with the mallet. Hope the neighbours don't complain too much! :)(I live in an apartment block).

That is a good find, thanks for posting it up. Now, if I only I could find someone to knock my bat in for :p.

I love the way that he takes it so steady with the mallet. Also, love the bit where the random kid walks into the background :laugh:.

what if u dont have a wooden mallet and its not available to u

Back