Video Of My Leg Spinners! Comments & Feedback Would Be Appreciated!

Looks like some nets I bowled in Ilkeston in Derby a few weeks back, certainly looks like England! Yeah not bad, got a nice break with the 1st ball. I did notice there was some side-ways movement through your bowling action, I'll have to have another look in a sec...

Yeah it's not bad, how long have you been bowling wrist spin and do you play for a team/have a coach? What I would suggest you do if you get a chance is get the camera closer to you - so that you fill the frame when you bowl and not worry about the outcome of the ball. I don't think there's a lot wrong with it, you get the ball to turn okay and the general advice is if you're getting the ball to spin as you are, not to worry too much. If you're in a team, what's your bowlng like under pressure - do you take wickets or do you have issues in competition scenarios?

Yeah I bowl a little bit of Leg Spin/Wrist Spin. I missed out on Jenner, was booked in with his next session when he went down with the heart attack that finished him off. The movement thing - depending on who you listen to, there are a few different approaches with regards the approach to the crease. I'm on the 'Keep it straight' side. So in your vid you approach the crease at a fairly straight angle with your head pretty constant, but then through your action there's a massive side-ways movement to your right as you bound. You might get a few more people comment over the next few hours - see what they say and whether they think it's important, but I think some may say, your forward movement should be all going forwards and this deviation may affect accuracy and the energy going forwards. In a similar vein your leg kicks out very wide too, this again should be coming through more rather than swinging out.

Plenty of energy in that and a nice pace too. I would like to see it a bit more roundarm but if you could bowl close to that first ball a few times an over and that second ball, that looks like a shorter faster straighter one, every so often you would be armed and dangerous and ready to roll.

you need to improve adam.

Wow that's useful input :confused:. you need to improve your interpersonal skills kiddo! Anyway Adam you've obviously bowled a bit of leg spin, now you just need to put in the hard hours practise and work out what works best for you. Hard thing to do without a coach but it is possible, as many on here can testify. Just remember to uphold the basics and don't fiddle around too much, it has to be natural, and if you're not a natural leg spinner I wouldn't bother! Also my top piece of advice isn't anything technical, you'll find tons of that on here elsewhere and from people with better knowledge. Simply it is to be your own bowler, don't try and imitate. Its too easy to think that we walk/run in in a certain way or hold our wrist/hand in a certain way and therefore we can be like someone else (Warne, MacGill, whoever) but the truth is you have to do whatever works best for you and is consistent and gets that good action/shape on the ball. good luck mate!

Yeah Shivam, you do need to be a little more constructive on here, I'm sure several of us on here have responded to your questions in a little more depth than you have with Adam and we're constantly looking to maintain a good forum here, so you do need to play the game!;) Have a look around at the other forums and I'm sure you'll see that there is quite a difference in the calibre of the responses and the interaction of all the contributors.

sorry,I was going to watch the video a bit closer and tell you in the next post but my internet didnt work.I will look at it and tell you adam.sorry about that.

Wow that's useful input :confused:. you need to improve your interpersonal skills kiddo! Anyway Adam you've obviously bowled a bit of leg spin, now you just need to put in the hard hours practise and work out what works best for you. Hard thing to do without a coach but it is possible, as many on here can testify. Just remember to uphold the basics and don't fiddle around too much, it has to be natural, and if you're not a natural leg spinner I wouldn't bother! Also my top piece of advice isn't anything technical, you'll find tons of that on here elsewhere and from people with better knowledge. Simply it is to be your own bowler, don't try and imitate. Its too easy to think that we walk/run in in a certain way or hold our wrist/hand in a certain way and therefore we can be like someone else (Warne, MacGill, whoever) but the truth is you have to do whatever works best for you and is consistent and gets that good action/shape on the ball. good luck mate!

Insightful as always GA. Haven't heard much from you in the recent times, how is your legspin progressing?

Insightful as always GA. Haven't heard much from you in the recent times, how is your legspin progressing?

Cheers! I didn't think it was very helpful to be honest but I've been having a few problems with my action and that was simply the conclusion I reached. Winter nets were very up and down, one good week, one not so good week and I was playing around with my run up and arm position a lot, one week walking in and trying to put all the energy on the ball through the crease and another with more of a jog to the crease and a different arm position. In my head I call them my Warne approach and my MacGill approach, but neither was making me entirely happy as both had good points and bad points and both would work some of the time but not all, it just felt like everything was laboured. Then suddenly I had my light bulb moment last week, I had an injured neck and couldn't bowl for a week prior, which was torture, then it eased off and I was so excited to be bowling again i was just running in and doing what came naturally rather than over thinking everything like I usually would, my excitement gave me lots of energy and rhythm through the crease, my wrist was unfurling properly and I was following through almost like a fast bowler and I really noticed myself doing so, then it occurred to me this was something I had been neglecting. This, coupled with a quote I had read from someone (I forget who) about how really good spinners cut their body in half as they completed their action, seemed to bring about a miraculous change. My leg break was drifting and fizzing, the bosie was coming out well, I even had flippers, which i normally have the most trouble with, coming out pretty nicely. And it was all because of those simple things I had begun to neglect from getting bogged down in silly little things I had built up in my head from watching video's and comparing myself to other people. The picture to my left is actually me bowling in my first year of bowling leg spin and there are lots of good things about me then which I probably wasn't doing as well just a few weeks ago, the follow through looks strong, the hand has come from a cocked position and cut across my body finishing by my left trouser pocket. Its bizarre really that in some ways I was a better bowler then. But there is no way back then that I could have bowled a bosie or a toppie or a flipper or landed my leg break so consistently. 4 + years of practice and hundreds of hours of the hand to hand exercise means I can now do all that stuff to an extent. So somehow I have to bring back/retain those elements I had when I first began and marry them consistently with what I have gained since. Should be an interesting challenge.

Cheers! I didn't think it was very helpful to be honest but I've been having a few problems with my action and that was simply the conclusion I reached. Winter nets were very up and down, one good week, one not so good week and I was playing around with my run up and arm position a lot, one week walking in and trying to put all the energy on the ball through the crease and another with more of a jog to the crease and a different arm position. In my head I call them my Warne approach and my MacGill approach, but neither was making me entirely happy as both had good points and bad points and both would work some of the time but not all, it just felt like everything was laboured. Then suddenly I had my light bulb moment last week, I had an injured neck and couldn't bowl for a week prior, which was torture, then it eased off and I was so excited to be bowling again i was just running in and doing what came naturally rather than over thinking everything like I usually would, my excitement gave me lots of energy and rhythm through the crease, my wrist was unfurling properly and I was following through almost like a fast bowler and I really noticed myself doing so, then it occurred to me this was something I had been neglecting. This, coupled with a quote I had read from someone (I forget who) about how really good spinners cut their body in half as they completed their action, seemed to bring about a miraculous change. My leg break was drifting and fizzing, the bosie was coming out well, I even had flippers, which i normally have the most trouble with, coming out pretty nicely. And it was all because of those simple things I had begun to neglect from getting bogged down in silly little things I had built up in my head from watching video's and comparing myself to other people. The picture to my left is actually me bowling in my first year of bowling leg spin and there are lots of good things about me then which I probably wasn't doing as well just a few weeks ago, the follow through looks strong, the hand has come from a cocked position and cut across my body finishing by my left trouser pocket. Its bizarre really that in some ways I was a better bowler then. But there is no way back then that I could have bowled a bosie or a toppie or a flipper or landed my leg break so consistently. 4 + years of practice and hundreds of hours of the hand to hand exercise means I can now do all that stuff to an extent. So somehow I have to bring back/retain those elements I had when I first began and marry them consistently with what I have gained since. Should be an interesting challenge.

The old Macgill and Warne approaches! You nicked that off me!:)

GoldenArm has posted some clips of his bowling here before and dont worry, he's all legspinner. Look at the classic position he reaches in his avatar.

thanks Macca! Praise from Caesar. The picture I'm quite fond of as it only captures a good moment in my action but I hate watching those video's of me back again, all I can see are the many thing's I'm getting wrong :confused:. I've got a new app for my iphone called cricket coach something or other which includes a speedo. So the next time we have some decent weather I'll make a new set of videos of how my action looks now and how quickly I'm bowling. Will be interesting to see how different it actually is and how much of it is just in my head. Tried to get out in the nets this morning but the grounds soaking and showers are swirling around all day. Bloody England eh!

@Dave Do you do the same then?? I've been secretly calling my two methods this for years! Wonder how many others out there are doing this, must be quite a few as MacGill and Warne are the two bowlers most keen leggies idolise and try to imitate. gotta love those Aussie rippers :).

@Dave Do you do the same then?? I've been secretly calling my two methods this for years! Wonder how many others out there are doing this, must be quite a few as MacGill and Warne are the two bowlers most keen leggies idolise and try to imitate. gotta love those Aussie rippers :).

Yeah, I'm not sure it turned up on here anywhere, it may be something I've discussed in PM's with a couple of people rather than in the open forums...

With regards to the two bowling approaches look at the post No. 977 a couple pages back on April 3rd, it's not something I've said before, because these are new bowling approaches for me, so yeah it looks like I've stumbled on something you're already doing/describing!

What's this App thing you speak of, my wifes got one of those thing that do those 'Apps' are they free? Or rather is that one free?

Re the weather, we've got the same here in Essex, but we need it and it's allowed me to get some seed down on our paddock and do some repairs on the wicket. With Joe now out of action for several months, the paddocks not going to see much action and I may be able to get some repairs done, so the rain is good.

Thanks for the link Dave! Good to know your son is feeling better now.

I do the warne approach most of the time though must admit when a leggie instead of spinning ends up being a fast straighter one, I call it the Kumble approach :)

Back