Videos Of My Leg Spin Bowling - 2011

Jim2109

Thought I should probably put these in their own thread, since I took all my old videos off YouTube and have now started to get some new ones. Here are the first 3...

Leg break compilation (watch out for the monster turn from around the wicket!! Threw in a slow-mo of it as well lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M33B7xZjag&hd=1

Flipper (of the backspun variety, at 44mph! I was fairly impressed with this one, it pitches a yard too full, but the flight is comparable to leg breaks landing on a "good" length, so bound to get the batsman in trouble, and it hardly bounces at all)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFS3wua0Sk&hd=1

Side on shot of my new action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2BXO3YBXY&hd=1

Yes, you definitely look faster. Are becoming more round arm than before by any chance. And good FAST turn on that leg break from around the wicket. Do you think that starting bowling to a leftie from around the wicket at the beginning of a spell is helpful? Getting that constisitent turn , and then bowling an offspinning flipper on the same line or a flipper would be devastating!

I find bowling to a leftie at the start of the spell a problem normally. I can bowl from around the wicket very comfortably, in fact I often start a spell there because I can bowl more defensive lines whilst I get myself loose, but I prefer to bowl at right handers from there. Against lefties I favour bowling over the wicket so that the ball is pushed across them and then straightening. That way I can pitch around off stump and then turn it back in at the stumps, and a good turning delivery goes from angled across to straight at the stumps, and if they don't play for turn they are either bowled through the gate or plum LBW. If I'm turning the ball well then I am forced to pitch it outside off from around the wicket, and then the one (or sometimes 6 lol) that doesn't turn is easy boundary pickings for the batsman.

I would be calling back "nice seam presentation, good rotation", on those ones. Really picked up full on side spinning perfect seam on one of them, which looked pro. Good bounce.
Hope you prove a handfull in the early games.

Hey guys. I haven't been posting for a while. Life has been pretty busy during summer over here.

Things are finally starting to wind down and I thought I would share some thoughts.

Hey Jim! Looks good what you've done to your action. Everything seems quicker which is GREAT -- nothing worse than a slow action to bowl all over the place. Case example -- Mitchell Johnson!

Just some thoughts on ideas that might allow you to improve. When you bring your front foot down lead more with your hips. As in have your hips as you weight shift as forward as possible -- perhaps even leading (or in front of) every part of the body as you first begin to move forward. This will help the timing of your action especially with all those flailing body parts.

And again as I always say about chippyben's action -- definitely brace or bend the front leg before you land but then try to get your body over the front knee.... hence most importantly end up having that front knee straightened. It will feel weird, unstable, and perhaps painful -- but your knee will get stronger... unless you have a limiting physical condition.

Good luck and there was some nice turn in those videos!

Thanks for the comments. Been working on my hips but am currently working on a few things to get my back muscles working better to generate more power. The hips are then next on the list. I think the combination of those 2 things will automatically fix the other areas, such as the braced leg. The only reason I don't pivot over the braced leg is because my hips aren't driving through the action early enough, so once they do it will all snap together. Compared to where I was literally a week ago (with a similar action to what I ended up with last season), the improvements are massive.

Hopefully I can find another 5mph in the process and then I'm bowling at "pro" speeds :D Added pace isn't reducing my turn at all either, if anything its turning more. I think the extra power required to propel the ball faster also translates into the power through the arm and wrist to spin the ball in the first place, which is nice.

Back