visual cues

maverick

visual cues

Hey guys,

Lately I have been thinking about how to read the bowler from his action/approach etc. I was wondering if you could share what information do you use to anticipate the type of ball. I know there are research papers out there, specifically this one: "How do world-class cricket batsmen anticipate a bowler's intention? " by Sean Mulller, Bruce Abernethy and Damian Farrow. Unfortunately, I don't have access to those.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: visual cues

This is an extremely interesting subject and I get asked questions about this regularly, however, I have never really answered them :). Quite frankly, I can't.

I would, though, be really interested in reading the strategies others may come up with.

Why can't I answer them?

Basically, we are in the realms of cognitive psychology and although I can coach good strategies, I cannot possibly cover them in a quick conversation or with a post.

Confucius once said:

"Tell me, and I will forget.
Show me, and I may remember.
Involve me, and I will understand."

To be able to identify cues, you need to be involved with them.

Many, independent, studies have been carried out, the major ones by Alistair McRobert from Liverpool John Moores University and Sean Muller from RMIT University in Australia. All found that the best batsman can predict how the ball will react prior to it leaving the bowler's hand.

Bowlers do betray themselves but you must, not only be able to pick up the subtle clues, you need to know how to interpret them.

Basically, the difference between an expert and mediocre batsman is when they start to pick up these clues. Mediocre batsman usually start as the ball leaves the hand ;).

The experts begin long before this. They pick up the cues from the head and shoulders, trunk and hips; the central body features. They are more than half way there before they even see the ball in the hand.

Match context also plays a big part too and there are different strategies for different types of bowler.

If you are interested to hear more, I shall let Marc West AKA Mr Science (2007) take it away:

http://media.blubrry.com/mrscience/media.libsyn.com/media/mrscienceshow/Cricketsciencelong.mp3

I always found it easier to tell when a bowler was going to bowl a bouncer in the nets. Although it must be said that I had faced the same bowlers in the nets for several years. You could often tell by their action just before the release of the ball.

Thanks Liz for the reply. I wasn't too sure about which clues should I even be looking for other than you know wrist position during release and grip. Now I know, but I am still not sure how to interpret clues from head and shoulders, trunk and hips. I guess this is where familiarity with the bowlers come into play.

The audio was helpful though. Thanks.:)

Interpretation is the key maverick. I could point out areas for you to look at but you cannot take one cue, you need to take an holistic view.

For example, LtD's scenario is a good one. He can spot the 'pre-bouncer' stance but he probably will not be able to give you the cues; it is just innate with him because he has experienced it so many times; it's automatic wth him... the main cue will be in the lumbar area but LtD probably does not realise this; it's almost a feeling, but it is shape recognition, even if 'moving' shape recognition. He will probably find a difference with wind up phase too.

The best way to learn is pay attention when you bat and it will come. However, you need to pay attention to the whole action, not just the hand and ball. If you want to fast track this learning, you really need time with a good coach and some technology. This will take hours, which is why it is not a good subject for a post but it does work. However, the degree at which it works varies. If you have no spatial awareness and are not terribly co-ordinated, it could take years ;). If you are good at recognising patterns, it's a cinch.

Do you have access to a good coach?

Hey Liz,

Thanks for pointing out that I should be paying attention to the whole action, not just the hand and ball. I remember in the last net, I was facing a new spinner and I did notice after playing few of his deliveries that his approach is faster (much faster) when he bowls a quicker delivery. Unfortunately, I don't have access to very good technology at the moment but I guess the least I could do is record my batting from both ends.

Appreciate it. :D

Visual clues can come from many things but some of the main ones to look for:

Bowlers running in faster/slower
Arms pumping more/less
Angled approach
Straighter approach
Bowling from closer to/further away from the stumps
Hiding the ball with non-bowling hand
Run up with a stutter instead of smooth

Smaller clues may come from eye motions, mouthing commands to other players, jerks/nod of the head etc. Also, just a general change in their demeanour, for example shoulders slightly slouching might mean a slower ball or seeming more 'animated' could be due to bowling an effort ball (yorker/bouncer). However, it is very individual to the bowler.

one thing i do is just watch the ball in the bowlers hand and unless he is disguising the ball then i can usually pick cutters and swing, but bouncers is another story.

Back