WARE OH CC 2008 BLOG

Re: WARE OH CC 2008 BLOG

been waiting to get outside so I could show the relative spin on a true wicket on video.

Friday 2nd May:

No cricket today but having just had a conversation with our groundsman he is confident the ground will be ok even though we have had a wet week. So things are looking up for the 1st league game of the season i hope the Sun looks down on us all day while batting and clouds over to bowl!

anyway bring on the start of the season!

Well Saturday morning came around and i was looking forward to a cracking opening game of the season with the 2nds!

10.30am i get a call from the 1sts skipper saying i have been given the nod to play for them instead of the 2nds! Bit of a moral dilema for me. I want to play higher standard but i felt guilty leaving the senconds as i am the wicket keeper and bat at 4. And also i had already made teh sandwiches for the seconds and the misses was going up to watch with her fellow WAG.

I could not turn down the oppurtunity, luckily Katie (my Girlfriend) went shopping with one of the other WAG from the seconds and went to the 2nds game to support them as they were at home!

The 1STs game was always going to be hard, the team we were playing were unbeaten for 2 and a half seasons 34 odd games!

i have a link to the match report below which has some pics i took.

http://wareohcc.hitscricket.com/scorecard/fixtureID_49308/1stXI_v_MetPoliceBushey_03-May-2008.aspx

It was a Hard game, we bowled them out for 190 which was good. Had we have got their captain we would have skittled them for 50 runs!

We batted poorly on an average damp pitch.

Sunday Game was called off sue to a wet pitch on friday night? god knows why they could not have checked it on saturday being only 6 miles form out ground we had glorious sunshine all weekend including monday!

I'm firmly in the 2nds for next weekend! bit of a grudge match, and i now need to up my average!

Right, sorry chaps i have had no Laptop for a week due to my macbook power lead resembeling a firework!

to save time i will be copying the match reports from out club website as i need to catch up a bit! :p

Saturday's 2nds Game vs Watton at stone: Away: this following report is by our skipper and is a little short and lacklustre of details!

Watton at Stone II v Ware (Old Hertfordians) Cricket Club 2nd XI on Sat 10 May 2008 at 1.30pm
Ware (Old Hertfordians) Cricket Club Lost 54 Runs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The twos went to Watton's second ground at Heath Mount School, which turned out to be a nicer setting than their first ground in the village. They won the toss and batted.

A decent catch from Riss at point, some excellent work from Big Tom and Pinky Don for a run out and then a comedy leave from their number three had Watton reeling at 13 for 3. But from their Ware's work was not sharp enough and they recovered to 149 for 5. The bowling involved too many lose deliveries and four or five chances to take wickets were missed at vital times. Pick of the bowling came once again from Asbo, the Morgan bros and they were joined this week by Pinky Don. This game also saw the debut of a Mr. D.V. Ant who had a bowling style that was very reminiscent of Mr. Hugh Andrews. Could they be in any way related?

With only three players into double figures the batting was not much to write home about. Guten Morgan looked solid for his 18 and did a great job of opening. Big Tom looked to be in fine form with good shot selection until skying an easy chance to slip with a jug beckoning. A couple of quick wickets brough Pinky to the wicket and with decent support from the rest of the tail looked good for his 22. This threatened for a while to gain us some batting points but it was not to be.

MOM We remembered to have a vote this week and a unanimous decision was for Jamie Don for his quick thinking for the run out, consistantly dangerous bowling and level headed batting. Well done Jamie.

Champagne moment: Singing "Jamie Don wears a pink thong" loudly whilst he walked up the driveway to his home. He seemed a little pink in the cheek, what must the neighbours think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a reasonable first game for me for the 2nds! took two catches behind the stumps, one of them a low bottom edge which was nice and also a run out so not a bad start to my keeping season. I Scored 48 off the bat avoiding my 50 with a bad selection of shots!

We also played sunday which was our first game of the season. And as i'm captain it is my own match report!

The first Sunday game of the season started with what could only be described as a god give day! 26 Degrees without a cloud in the sky by 12.00pm.

The oppo a seasoned Sunday Team travelled from Harlow arrived with nothing but compliments for Widford.

The Skipper Tom Won the Toss and had no hesitation in batting first. The Track although it has been played on the previous day had dried out considerably and looked in good condition. (Thanks Julian).

As the rest of the Ware OH side retreated to the safety of the shade, Guten and Graeme headed for the square with the oppo in Tow. Guten showed early promise in getting himself out by clipping the FIRST ball straight to square leg who was none the wiser and luckily put it down! A few Shots were played before si took on one of the oppos youngsters and lost with a direct Hit leaving him at least 3ft short of safety. Graeme was next to go with what looked like a big hit but sailed straight in to the arms of the delighted fielder. Matt Berry in at number 3 kept his head down playing very straight taking the runs that were on offer including some Fine Boundaries. Jamie Don at 4, Stuart Fordham at 5, and Dave Beeston at 6 contributed 9 Runs between them leaving Ware 38-5. Tom Thoday landed at the crease and showed his intentions from the Off. Tom and Matt Berry recovered the Ware Innings to a staggering 112-6 before Matt was caught. It was certainly the finest batting innings I have seen from Matt Berry who showed great promise and composure throughout his innings, Well Done Gooseberry! The fall of Berry brought Si Green in who showed no mercy and smashed the first ball for 4, The second however had the same intent but whistled into Points Safe hands. Julian Lasted for 7 Nonchalant runs before being caught. At the other end of the crease Thoday cruised past his First 50 of the season. He was joined in the middle by Matt Gilewicz who had been given license to hit anything he could. He and Tom Thoday raised the Total for Ware from 147-8 to 188 -8 leaving a sizeable Total for the Oppo.

Teas Were had and enjoyed and a special thanks to Katie and Carly who hand nothing but compliments for their most enjoyable tea’s. The strawberries and cream went down a treat with everyone.

Nettsewell & Burnt Mill Started as they meant to go on with some consistent scoring without really looking in any trouble. The Breakthrough came with the bowling change and Thoday claimed what was to be his only victim of the day clean bowling the poor chap who was playing across the line. A. Burton increased their run rate some what whilst his team mates came and went. Si Green Bowled some fantastic balls and showed some unseen talent. Some wuick work with the gloves removed the number 3 by the Skipper Tom. A.Burton Passed His 50 with considerable ease, not an uneventful innings by any means as we Had him caught behind to everyones delight on about 35 but sadly the only person not to hear the noise was the Oppo’s umpire. Guten came close with what looked like plumb LBW but it was not to be. Si Green finally claimed his man with Matt Berry taking a solid catch to finish his innings on a decent score of 79. It was not to be for Nettswell at the wall of their opener they required only 38 runs to win with 5 wickets in hand! Ware showed great determination in the field and stuck with it. Some more lightening quick work with the gloves from Tom removed another batsmen. The catches started to stick and Ware could see the light at the end of the tunnel! With 5 overs remaining nettsewell required 18 runs. Their number 10 decided to take it to the wire by hitting Graeme out of the ground for 6. Sadly it was not to be as Jamie Don Claimed His 4th victim of the day with some fantastic bowling taking out the middle stump for the 3rd time. There is no Stopping this boy with his bowling prowess. More fool the Batsmen who dares to play across the line to The “DONcera”. A fantastic win to start the Sunday team season off with. Well done boys and well stuck with it, it just shows how a game can change with the dismissal of one batsmen. MOM was awarded to Matt Berry for his hard fought 35, tight bowling and impeccable fielding.

It turned out to be a great game! and its always nice to win even if the Oppo's openeer was determined to bat all day! maybe some one should start a thread about walking? or staying at the crease?

Sadly only one game This weekend as i'm going away on Sunday for a few days. However The Geddings league starts next week on Wednesday night so i am looking forward to that>

Sundays Game !

Northwood CC v Ware (Old Hertfordians) Cricket Club Sunday XI on Sun 01 Jun 2008 at 2.00
Ware (Old Hertfordians) Cricket Club Won

Wares Sunday side Travelled to Northwood cc for what seems to have become an annual Fixture. The weather looked gloomy form the offset and never looked to get any better but thankfully did not get any worse.

On Arrival their pitch and outfield did not look to dissimilar to other recent pitches, with the outfield being wet and the wicket wetter. Skipper Tom Lost the toss and the Oppo had no hesitation in electing to bat. The Format was not the usual for a Sunday fixture with Northwood insisting on playing a declaration Game as opposed to a 40/40. In retrospect its easy to see why Northwood wanted to Bat first, But it’s the choice their skipper made!

Ware started off well with Both Guten (Morgan) and Risso taking the new ball. The Pitch gave nothing for the bowlers and definitely favoured the batsmen with anything that was evenly slightly short being punished by the batsmen. 15 Overs in came the first change with Graeme Unwin stepping up to the plate. Within His second over he had made the break through having one of Northwoods openers caught trying to moo to the boundary. Guten continued without any luck bowling some good lines only to be rewarded with being hit across the line! Jamie Don replaced Guten with a short spell with no success, Graeme was replaced by Darren Patel who was eager to carry on from his previous days figures and adding to his 6 wicket haul!

With Darren at one end Jay Webster made his Debut Sunday Appearance bowling leg spin at the other. Darren was rewarded with an Early LBW while Jay chipped away at the other end. Jays Bowling did deserve more but 3 consecutive boundaries in one over did not help his figures. One Batsmen even tried what looked like a reverse sweep of sorts! Darren Finished his spell with Two well deserved wickets from what was a hard wicket to bowl on. He made way for Rob Glover who bowled well and consistently. Jay finished his over’s and made way for Young Timmy Andrews. Both Rob and Timmy deserved more. Northwood’s captain had amassed a total of 131 runs not out. Towards the end of their innings it was obvious they had 250 in mind with some last ditch efforts to get there. Northwood finally declared their innings on 226 for 3 at 4.30pm.

Monty and Guten walked out for the Ware innings, both played cautiously as the bowlers gave away very little. The odd Ball that was offered up was hit but the outfield swallowed it up! Northwood had a stroke of luck with Si Guten Morgan playing a inside edge onto his own pads and onto his stumps. Darren was next to fall with what can only be described as a terrible delivery, a loose shoulder height delivery taking a nick off the top edge of the bat. Jamie Don and Rob Glover plugged away before Jamie Nicked one and was caught, Rob played some fine looking shots for his first innings of the season. Stu Fordham Joined Rob at the crease and played with intent from the off! With some interesting shots which evaded every member in the field. Stu bravely took on for the team catching the shoulder of the bat straight into his own Nose. No Blood or breaks he went on to make 9 Runs his highest for the club so Far. Tom Don made an impression on the score board scoring more byes for the team and some runs off the Bat. Risso made his way to the crease and showed a marked improvement by actually hitting a legside shot as we watched on in amazement. With Stu Fordham Back in the pavilion it was the Skipper making his way to the crease at number 8. After a few loose swings the ball finally found Bat and the bowlers were punished for anything short, straight, wide, full length or indeed anything that pitched on the wicket. Risso hung around for a while before edging one to the keeper. Jay ‘z’ Webster came in at 9 with ware needing 8 an over to take victory in the last 16 over’s. The Skipper Tom continued Hitting the ball out of the ground resulting in two lost balls. As Tom Skipped through his 50 Jay started to join the party playing some very nice shots making it look too easy. The Skipper finally fell to a top edge which really should have been put away properly. Timmy andrews came in at number 9 and supported Jay to the best of his ability. The Ware team had nothing but respect for Tim as the oppo crowded round him for every ball he faced. Unfased Timmy managed to kick the odd single to rotate the strike. With 21 runs needed jay had no mercy with some tidy footwork he despatched 5 x 6’s and many fours to take the game to the wire. Northwoods only chance of saving the game came when They dropped Jay on the boundary with 11 runs to win!

The Next over brought victory with two consecutive boundaries totalling 90 Not out for J. a Fine Innings by J and Tom brought the game to victory. A fine effort by the whole Ware team and well done for sticking with it, it was a long day in the field but it was made worthwhile by the effort put into chasing down those runs! And thanks to Graeme who twisted his knee but waited incase he had to bat at 11!

MOM Nominations
Daz – 2 wickets
Tom E – 58
Jay – 90*
Timmy – supporting Jay through the remaining over’s despite great pressure!
Northwood CC Batting
226 for 3
Player Name Runs Mode of dismissal
K.Watson 131 Not Out
N.Hussey 20 Caught
Reeve 32 Lbw
L.Sharif 6 Bowled
R.Latchman 19 Not Out
Simmonds
N.Patel
T.Meredeth
Latchman
Bailey
Spiers
Ware (Old Hertfordians) Cricket Club Sunday XI Bowling
Player Name Overs Maidens Runs Wickets Average Economy
Simon Morgan 11.0 0 38 0 0.00 3.45
Steve Risby 6.0 1 24 0 0.00 4.00
Graeme Unwin 6.0 0 21 1 21.00 3.50
Jamie A T Don 3.0 1 24 0 0.00 8.00
Darren Patel 10.0 1 22 2 11.00 2.20
Jay Webster 8.0 0 49 0 0.00 6.12
Tim Andrews 3.0 0 23 0 0.00 7.67
Rob Glover 2.0 0 22 0 0.00 11.00
Ware (Old Hertfordians) Cricket Club Sunday XI Batting
230 for 8
Player Name Runs Mode of dismissal Catches Stumpings Run outs
Darren Patel 10 Caught
Simon Morgan 13 Bowled
Jamie A T Don 3 Caught
Rob Glover 3 Caught
Stuart Fordham 9 Caught
Tom Don 6 Caught
Steve Risby 9 Caught
Tom Ellaway 58 Caught
Jay Webster 90 Not Out
Tim Andrews 1 Not Out
Graeme Unwin
Northwood CC Bowling
Player Name Overs Maidens Runs Wickets Average Economy
Patel 8.0 3 16 1 16.00 2.00
Bailey 7.0 4 10 0 0.00 1.43
Spiers 10.0 2 53 3 17.67 5.30
Lachman 7.0 4 11 2 5.50 1.57
Sharif 8.4 2 60 2 30.00 6.92
Simmonds 3.0 0 28 0 0.00 9.33
Reeve 2.0 0 34 0 0.00 17.00

Geez our ground must be pretty big compared to yours!

That was funny. Ohhh, that is a shot. Shot. Shot Jai. Lol, great piece of commentary :D

thats not out ground. its a local team's. He hit both of those shots out the ground and the boundary to the right of him is massive!

Jay is a quality bat.

Looks like a short boundary on this side, but it might just be where the pitch is on the square.

And yeah, it was a fair shot!!

put it this way me and jay (the guy in the vid) went in at 90 for 7 and won lol chasing 227

Back