Warm-up Matches (Aus vs Zim, Can vs Pak, Ban vs NZ, Ind vs Ned)

Re: Warm-up Matches (Aus vs Zim, Can vs Pak, Ban vs NZ, Ind vs Ned)

Breakwood;142080 said:
Well now that the Lyon champions league match is done (dont even talk to me about it :() I see that Canada has no chance at overcomming Pakistan. It was a brave effort but it fell apart near the end. Oh well! It's only a warmup.

To be honest, I'm much happier seeing Canada (or any team, for that matter) go down swinging than to bat out 50 overs and lose by 150. Would have liked to have seen that game, but whatever. I feel your soccer pain as well - I'm an Inter man myself - are you at all excited about Toronto FC coming in next month?

so Bangladesh have beaten New Zealand?

are we going to start doing a Bangladesh/New Zealand comparison anyone? Timmy, i think we're all looking in your direction.

aussieman;142089 said:
so Bangladesh have beaten New Zealand?

are we going to start doing a Bangladesh/New Zealand comparison anyone? Timmy, i think we're all looking in your direction.

Aussieman,

Don't tap on the glass.

:D

Well done Bangla.

The minnows showing some fighting spirit. So far, each team has players that caused some stress to the elite teams. All in all this is good for cricket. Lets hope they are able to raise the level of their game and provide some entertainment in the group matches.

Wilbix;142083 said:
To be honest, I'm much happier seeing Canada (or any team, for that matter) go down swinging than to bat out 50 overs and lose by 150. Would have liked to have seen that game, but whatever. I feel your soccer pain as well - I'm an Inter man myself - are you at all excited about Toronto FC coming in next month?

I'm a season ticket holder! I'm really excited!

I agree with your point that it is better to see a team try their hardest to reach the target. I think the team did well, considering the opposition. I'm curious to see how we play against Ireland later in the week. If form continues this way, I'm confident we can beat Kenya.

A note about Bangladesh's win:

The won without Shariar Nafees!
That's right, they beat the Kiwis without their star opener!

Think about that for a minute.

Final Scores

Australia vs Zimbabwe

Australia 7/290 (50 overs)

Clarke 82
Watson 81
Haddin 47

Williams 2/48 (8)

Zimbabwe 7/184 (50 overs)

Williams 44
Matsikenyeri 35

Clark 2/33

Australia won by 106 runs.

Canada vs Pakistan (48 overs max)

Pakistan 8/273 (48 overs)

Mohammad Hafeez 61
Kamran Akmal 56*
Imran Nazir 26

Dhaniram 2/26 (5)
Osinde 2/41 (8)
Cummins 2/58 (8)

Canada a.o. 196 (46.4 overs)

Qaiser Ali 37
Mulla 31

Mohammad Hafeez 3/10 (3.4)
Iftikhar Anjum 3/23 (5)
Azhar Mahmood 2/24 (6)

Pakistan won by 77 runs.

Bangladesh vs New Zealand

New Zealand a.o. 226 (47.2 overs)

Oram 88 (107)
McCullum 46 (54)

Abdur Razzak 4/26 (10)
Mashrafe Mortaza 4/44 (9.2)

Bangladesh 8/230 (49 overs)

Tamim Iqbal 46 (48)
Javed Omar 45 (86)
Mashrafe Mortaza 30* (14)

Vettori 3/38 (10)
Fraklin 2/54 (8)

Bangladesh won by 2 wickets.

India vs Netherlands

India 9/300 (50 overs)

Dravid 74 (92)
Tendulkar 61 (59)

ten Doeschate 5/57 (10)
Borren 2/45 (7)

Netherlands a.o. 118 (37.5 overs)

Zuiderent 32 (73)
ten Doeschate 31 (39)

Yuvraj Singh 4/12 (3.5)
Kumble 2/14 (5)
Harbhajan Singh 2/24 (8)

India won by 182 runs.

Well, some surprising and not so surprising results. Australia cruised to an easy win over Zimbabwe who struggled to get even 200.

Canada proved they are a decent one-day side and matched it with Pakistan for most of the game but lapses in concentration cost them dearly and hence the game. More application could have got them closer but they need to maintain full concentration for the whole game and not slack off.

Bangladesh showed just how much of a fluke New Zealand's series win over Australia was. New Zealand played pathetically against Bangladesh and their earlier form has misguided many punters into thinking the Kiwis were better than they actually are.

The game between India and the Netherlands proved one thing, Ryan ten Doeschate is a gun. Seriously, sign this guy to a county side in England, the guy is a brilliant player and the only player beside Bas Zuiderent to show any fight against the Indians.

What struck me about these matches is how effective medium pace and spin are on these pitches.

Ryan ten Doeschate is a gun. Seriously, sign this guy to a county side in England

Doeschate plays for Essex.

What the dutch bowlers showed - when they were consistent - is how simple it can be to keep most batsmen tamed for a few overs by keeping line and length. It was very straight bowling, nothing too fancy. When they strayed they gave away boundaries. Didn't help that their spinner Kasif couldn't penetrate the Indian batting.

Da Silva made bad calls as usual. I think it was De Leede who got Sachin very very early in his innings lbw but it wasn't called . This happened twice if I'm not mistaken. However Sachin played brilliantly, a couple glorious sixes and delicious strokes. One would have expected 300 for 4 but the Dutch were able to take 9 wickets in 50 overs. Unfortunately, when it was their turn at the crease they had no answers for the Indian bowling.

Two observations: the Associates seem to be able to do a half-decent job bowling to the Full Members, but they can't put up decent scores when it's their turn to bat.

These warm-up matches are 13-a-side matches. I'm not sure how this affects the competitiveness of the Associates. Obviously having an extra two players benefits every team, but in any particular game it's a disadvantage to the team that benefits the least. The Associates may be hurt by this because they have less depth than the Full Members, but then again, having extra players would seem to nullify the importance somewhat of the all-rounders, and I'm assuming that there are more of these in the Full Members' line-ups. Also with the extra players teams are using a few more bowlers than they will actually use in a game.

what i find with these associate sides - generally that is - like you said Stamislav, they can bowl well against higher sides - but you find have a tendency to score at a slow (ish) rate. Which makes them look worse than they actually are. Kenya had that problem in South Africa in '03. Okay they did win some games by bowling/fielding EXTREMELY well, but they scored at such a slow rate.

The same thing is happening here so far in these warm-up matches.

just my thought on it all

"are we going to start doing a Bangladesh/New Zealand comparison anyone? Timmy, i think we're all looking in your direction."

So what's the big deal? Deshies dished out a loss to the Aussies a while back. And they've got incentive. They lose and its back home to a poverty-stricken, flood-ravaged land
They keep winning and they can hope for a big house in Florida next to Shark with a Mercedes in the garage. Can happen a lot quicker with Yanks in the stands.

timmyj51;142296 said:
Last edited by Ljp86 : Today at 07:12 PM.

Wait, did I miss another racist diatribe this time too?

Is there some suspension rule on this foum if a certain single poster keeps requiring moderators to edit their posts all the time?

After his "whack at a ball outside-the-off-stump" stupidity in the warm up match against West Indies, it is a mystery to me how Sehwag still gets called in for India. I couldn't believe Rahul Dravid said he will still get his chance to prove himself. My theory is that Sehwag knows about some scandal involving BCCI president Sharad Pawar that nobody does.

Chandu;143561 said:
After his "whack at a ball outside-the-off-stump" stupidity in the warm up match against West Indies, it is a mystery to me how Sehwag still gets called in for India. I couldn't believe Rahul Dravid said he will still get his chance to prove himself. My theory is that Sehwag knows about some scandal involving BCCI president Sharad Pawar that nobody does.

If that is true, so you're saying he's blackmailing them :"play me or else i spill the beans"?

What is this scandal anyway? care to elaborate

marlyminks;143644 said:
If that is true, so you're saying he's blackmailing them :"play me or else i spill the beans"?

What is this scandal anyway? care to elaborate

No man, I was just being facetious and assumed won't be taken literally. Maybe I should've used a smiley. Basically I was saying he has been unbelievably crap, that it's hard to believe he is being selected, unless there is some political reason behind it. Don't take it literally and hope I don't start a storm because of that 1 message board comment.

BTW, I noticed I posted this in the wrong thread. I didn't realize there was a separate thread for West Indies vs. India warmup match. But I guess that doesn't matter a whole lot.

Chandu;143703 said:
No man, I was just being facetious and assumed won't be taken literally. Maybe I should've used a smiley. Basically I was saying he has been unbelievably crap, that it's hard to believe he is being selected, unless there is some political reason behind it. Don't take it literally and hope I don't start a storm because of that 1 message board comment.

BTW, I noticed I posted this in the wrong thread. I didn't realize there was a separate thread for West Indies vs. India warmup match. But I guess that doesn't matter a whole lot.

Ok, understood.

Back