Warm-up Matches (Ber vs Eng, Ire vs RSA, Sco vs SL, WI vs Ken)

Re: Warm-up Matches (Ber vs Eng, Ire vs RSA, Sco vs SL)

marlyminks;141825 said:
Say what you like about his weight, he's the best economical bowler Bermuda has right now, he sure gave England trouble. I guess the only consolation from this game is we kept England under 300 runs :)

I don't think anyone is question his bowling ability - he has great skills at that. The only thing to consider is how much he could improve if he did improve his fitness. He could field better, bowl longer spells, and simply be a better player. He is quite good as is, but you never know how good he could become unless he improves his fitness levels.

Wilbix;141903 said:
I don't think anyone is question his bowling ability - he has great skills at that. The only thing to consider is how much he could improve if he did improve his fitness. He could field better, bowl longer spells, and simply be a better player. He is quite good as is, but you never know how good he could become unless he improves his fitness levels.

He can't improve his fitness. He's the closest think to a pro baseballer that cricket has. We need to keep timmy interested in the sport somehow!

Re: Warm-up Matches (Ber vs Eng, Ire vs RSA, Sco vs SL, WI vs Ken)

HEYOOO!!!! Nice one Breakwood. Good to see you around again, hope you come about more often eh? Good to have some Canadian companionship :D

Wilbix;141903 said:
The only thing to consider is how much he could improve if he did improve his fitness. He could field better, bowl longer spells, and simply be a better player. He is quite good as is, but you never know how good he could become unless he improves his fitness levels.
He's probably not going to improve his fitness levels though. He's too old. He's 35 right now. I suppose if he worked really really really hard, he could get himself in shape, but it's not likely. The body becomes more and more uncooperative with each passing year.

Considering how good he is compared to lot of Bermuda's other bowling options, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him continue to play for another few years though. They'll need his skills for the World Cup Qualifying Tournament in 2009.

Leverock said in an interview recently that he weighs 270 pounds and used to weigh more but lost some weight for the World Cup.

Wilbix;141903 said:

Wil, i agree his size may impede on his mobility in the field, but size has nothing to do with how fit you are. I believe this is a misconception that people have. Fitness is the capability of the body distributing inhaled oxygen to muscle tissue during increased physical effort. You can have a 'big' person who is fit, just as you can have a very thin person who is unfit.

I've had the privilege of watching him and the rest of the team train regularly,going through some rigqorous stuff i may add, and believe me, he's more fit than some of the other players. Having said that, I don't think he could really do anything more with his size which also has a genetic component to it.

Wilbix;141915 said:
HEYOOO!!!! Nice one Breakwood. Good to see you around again, hope you come about more often eh? Good to have some Canadian companionship :D

Thanks, it's good to be back. I've lurked around for abit but have been quite busy with my studies so I've been unable to post. Now with the World Cup so soon, I'll be here more frequently.

"He can't improve his fitness. He's the closest think [sic]to a pro baseballer that cricket has."

pro cricket: player gets up in morning. Comes to ground. Team fields.
Bowls 30 indifferent deliveries. Captain puts him on fine leg boundary.
In four hours three balls come to him. Drops a catch. Chats with fans
on boundary. Practices golf swing. Pidgeon craps on crap. Team comes to
bat. Sits in pavilion for three hours reading comic book. Comes to
crease. Out second ball. Goes back into pavilion. Sits in shorts reading
comic book for next two hours. Gripes that paycheck isn't as big as pro
baseballers.

pro baseball: players gets up in morning. Comes to ground. Team fields.
Chases, dives, scrambles, for balls, makes acrobatic throws and catches
all afternoon. Comes to bat. Races around bases for double, triple. Dives head first
for stolen base. Smashes into catcher during play at home plate. Earns
multiple performance incentives.

timmyj51;141793 said:
"Bermuda all out for 45."

A team of Yank pro baseballers--even minor leaguers--with no more than two weeks practice, could've done a hell of a lot better than that.

Dude get this . Cricket and Baseball are not the same. The skills required for each are different Just because both involves a bat and a ball don't mean a baseball player could walk onto a cricket pitch and run tings, and it certainly don't mean a cricketer could waltz into a baseball game and hit a home run.

pro baseball: players gets up in morning. Comes to ground. Team fields.
Chases, dives, scrambles, for balls, makes acrobatic throws and catches
all afternoon. Comes to bat. Races around bases for double, triple. Dives head first
for stolen base. Smashes into catcher during play at home plate. Earns
multiple performance incentives.

And cricketers don't chase, make dives, scramble, or make acrobatic throws and catches throughout a match? Dude what you really smokin? You ever watch a cricket match in yuh life? And a good cricket match between two evenly matched, competitive teams?

Is best you keep following your all rounders game and leave cricket to those who understand it.

marlyminks

Leverock is a cool dude. Impressed with his control and his belly.

And his weight is an added bonus. One or two strides from leverock could guarantee turn on any dead pitch :D

Back