Watson settles into new role

BigCricket

BigCricket Administrator
Staff member
Watson settles into new role

Shane Watson survived his baptism as a Test opener to help Australia claim the upper hand on a truncated opening day in the third Ashes Test. They reached 126 for two in the 30 overs possible.

More...

Re: Watson settles into new role

BigCricket;358294 said:
Shane Watson survived his baptism as a Test opener to help Australia claim the upper hand on a truncated opening day in the third Ashes Test. They reached 126 for two in the 30 overs possible.

More...

Two out??? Don't tell me Watson tore his hamstring from the bone in an effort to get inside the changerooms in record time after stumps for the back-slapping he has so longed for?

Note Alex Browne's comments from the cricinfo site on Watson:
"Watson entered the Edgbaston Test having never batted higher than No. 6 in his eight previous matches, and with single-digit totals in each of his last four innings. Hardly a compelling case to open.
The reasoning behind his selection was equally unconvincing. Hughes, it emerged, had become the collateral damage for the Mitchell Johnson form saga, with Watson called up as much for seam bowling insurance as top-of-the-order runs."

No denying he is in great form, but I still think his selection is a filthy kick in the guts to the likes of Jacques, Rogers and others - as well as Phillip Hughes.

Re: Watson settles into new role

distributer of pain;358343 said:
hussey should have made way for him, plain and simple.

I won't disagree there. I'll even take it back further and suggest once Hussey was on the downward slide and we needed an opener, he should have been put up there to help out. After all, that is where he scored all his runs prior to making the Australian team. Conversely, Katich got all his as a middle-order batsman, and has always said that's where he would prefer to bat. Now it's too late, Hussey does not deserve another game full stop.

Even though Watson was in very fine nick at the time the selectors convened, having an all-rounder opening that batting reminds me of India in their days of innocence with Madan Lal then Manoj Prabhakar in that role!

Back