WCL Day 5: KEN v CAN, BER v SCO, IRE v NED

W

Wilbix

WCL Day 5: KEN v CAN, BER v SCO, IRE v NED

We're at the end of the group stage of the WCL, and what a bunch of games it has been. The latest thrilling finish was Canada chasing down a seemingly impossible 309-run target against Ireland to put themselves into equal-third with The Netherlands, and give themselves a chance to make the finals. They would, however, need a large win against Kenya to do it. Scotland await in the finals on Wednesday.

Kenya v Canada
This is the biggest game of the day, as it will have the most influence over who makes the finals of the tournament. The equation is simple for Kenya - win and you're in. For Canada it is more difficult, as they require a win, as well as gaining superior run rate to Kenya, and the Netherlands should they beat Ireland. There should be plenty of motivation for the lads on both sides, as the finalists will qualify for the Twenty20 World Cup and receive $250,000 in prize money. I'll have my eyes glued to the computer for this one!

Bermuda v Scotland
Not to belittle it, but this is the game of the day that is not all that important. Scotland have already locked up a finals berth with their 4-0 start to the tournament. Bermuda are shut out of finals contention, and will just be looking to pick up a win from this tournament.

Ireland v Netherlands
The Netherlands have a shot at making the finals. They will need a series of events to get there though - they must win, have Canada win, and have superior run rate to Canada and Kenya. Not out of the realm of possibility, especially seeing as how Ireland will be hungry to win after a series of crushing, late losses.

Re: WCL Day 5: KEN v CAN, BER v SCO, IRE v NED

Kenya 14-1 after 5 overs.
Good bowling from Osinde and Cummins to start the match.

Looks like the Netherlands/Ireland match is delayed. If they wind up losing overs, that won't help the overall run rate for the Dutch.

Whoa, make that 14-2 for Kenya. (Cummins got a wicket!!!)

This is just the start Canada (and the Dutch) needed!

Canada's bowlers have done well to grab those wickets, but they need to watch their bloody feet and bowl STRAIGHT! 27/2 right now is good for Canada, but how much better would 19/2 look?

Looks like the Netherlands/Ireland match is reduced to 46 overs per side. That shouldn't take too much of a bite out of Netherlands NRR.

OK, what the hell. I've just noticed that Canada have put Austin Codrington into the team (a good thing in my opinion) but that they have dropped Umar Bhatti rather than Cummins. Now I know he has bowled decently today, but why on earth would you favour him over Bhatti?

Scotland 70-2 after 15
Not great, but it's going well enough for Scotland. So long as they don't lost too many wickets, they'll be fine.

Kenya 62-2 after 16
Shah and Tikolo are getting a partnership going here. Canada will need to break it to keep the pressure on.

Scotland 121-2 after 25
They're moving along at a reasonable pace. They don't really need to press too hard today.

Netherlands 58-0 after 9 overs.
They're off to an exciting start, obviously well aware that NRR could come into play today.

Kenya 180-4 after 40.
Mishra and Collins Obuya have a strong partnership going on right now. Looks like Kenya will reach somewhere around 250.

Finally got Collins Obuya for 48, but Mishra is up to 62.
Dhaniram took 3 wickets today.
Kenya 207-5 after 44

Oooh, now Mishra is gone too.
Kenya 207-6 after 44.1

Kenya 238-8 after 48.1
Looks like Canada will have a target right around 250. But they're going to need to reach it in a lot less than 50 overs.

edit:
238-9 after 48.4
Osinde just took his fourth wicket
Looks like the target will be a little less than 250 now.

Kenya finished 250-9

Canada has a target of 251. They have 2 questions to answer:
Can they get there?
And how fast can they get there?

The brilliant opening partnership has finally been broken for Netherlands. Zuiderant is out for 39, but Reekers is still in there on 67.

Netherlands 114-1 after 19 overs, and in walks ten Doeschate!

Anyone see any math on this yet?

I think Canada needs to win in about 30 overs.

It might not matter though, because Canada is scoring super quick, but have lost 3 wickets already.
Canada 33-3 after 3.1 overs.

Canada 35-5 after 4.4 overs.

Oh well, at least they went for the win instead of sitting back and being eliminated slowly.

Davison out now too

Canada 53-6 after 8 overs.

Kenya is obviously going to win, and join Scotland in the final and in the Twenty20 World Championships later this year.

Scotland made 268-9 in their match with Bermuda.
In reply, Bermuda is 50-2 after 12 overs.
So far, it looks like Bermuda is heading for another loss in their final match. It's not over yet I suppose, but it was never likely to begin with, and they haven't done anything to change my mind yet.

Netherlands finished their shortened innings at 260-7 after 46 overs.
Darron Reekers was top scorer wth 104 from 83 balls.

That's going to be a tough target for Ireland to chase.
(Though I wouldn't be too surprised if they got real close and then lost in the final over again.)

Canada 72-8 after 12 overs.
They won't even reach triple digits today.
Oh well, at least they went down swinging.

They have a few positives they can take away from this trip, most notably the win over Kenya in Mombasa and the win over Ireland yesterday. They're going to get to play Kenya again in the World Cup, and with a few extra players in the squad, you've certainly got to say that they will have a chance.

cleazer;134097 said:
Scotland made 268-9 in their match with Bermuda.
In reply, Bermuda is 50-2 after 12 overs.
So far, it looks like Bermuda is heading for another loss in their final match. It's not over yet I suppose, but it was never likely to begin with, and they haven't done anything to change my mind yet.
Well, how do you like that? Romaine and Cann went into the middle at 135-5, and they never looked back, leading Bermuda to 269-5 after 49 overs, and giving them a win in their final match.

Scotland obviously wasn't terribly interested in this match. Though it's good to see that Bermuda isn't going home empty handed.

Back