WCL Match 7, 8, 9: Ken v Ire, Sco v Ned, Ber v Can

C

cleazer

WCL Match 7, 8, 9: Ken v Ire, Sco v Ned, Ber v Can

Looks like 2 of the matches are in an indefinite delay due to rain overnight, so we might only wind up with one match today, Kenya v Ireland.

Kenya's bowlers are doing a good job of restricting Ireland early. And now Morgan just fell.

Ireland 18-2 after 7.5

Kenya looking very good yet again. Ongondo has both wickets.

Re: WCL Match 7, 8, 9: Ken v Ire, Sco v Ned, Ber v Can

luckily tthey've got plenty of reserve days built in to the tournament so we shouldn't actually lose matches.

Ireland 85-3 after 21 overs.

The Kenyan bowlers are continuing with their strong performance.

Ireland 112-3 after 30

Looks like they'll probably reach 200, but not much further.

Looks like Scotland and Netherlands will start in about an hour,
and they'll play 37 overs each.

Looks like the Canada v Bermuda match will end up being a 20/20 competition (actually 21 overs each), due to start soon.

An update on the Bermuda/Canada game.
Canada is at bat, score is 79/3 after 8 overs

Looks like 3 exciting, competitive matches, even if two of them are abbreviated.

Ireland rode a national record 227 run partnership WTS Porterfield and KJ O'Brien leading them to 284 off 50 overs. They've got the upper hand now, as Kenya are 205/7 after 40 overs, with a required run rate of 8.00

In a 37 over match, Scotland mare 207/8, and the Netherlands are 61/2 off 9 overs in reply. Their RRR sits at 5.25

In a 21 over match, Canada have just finished their innings at 163/8, led by John Davison's 70 off 49 balls (coming in at number three). Bermuda will start their innings shortly, and what they do with the powerplay overs will have a large effect on the final result. I am glued to my computer (thank goodness I have a laptop I can take to bed with me)

Oh. My. Goodness.

This tournament has produced another cracker of a match. When Ireland reduced Kenya to 231/9 after 43.4 overs, they had to think they had the game won. It left only Hinen Varaiya and Thomas Odoyo to make 54 runs at 7.71/over to win the match. They did it with 6 balls to spare. Here is the CricketEurope commentary for the 49th over (the last of the match):

5:26 PM (48.6 overs) Langford-Smith to TM Odoyo: FOUR. Thats the game, the crowd surge onto the pitch, Thomas raises his arms, WHAT A GAME!

5:25 PM (48.5 overs) Langford-Smith to TM Odoyo: FOUR. cut away to the boundary, crowd are dancing and singing

5:24 PM (48.4 overs) Langford-Smith to TM Odoyo: SIX. again, but bigger, crowd go wild

5:23 PM (48.3 overs) Langford-Smith to TM Odoyo: SIX. jst over long on's outstretched hands

5:23 PM (48.1 overs) Langford-Smith to HA Varaiya: 1 run. Gets Odoyo on strike much to the crowd's appreciation

5:22 PM (48.1 overs) Langford-Smith to HA Varaiya: No run.

Netherlands are 94/4 (17ov) with a RRR of 5.65 in the remaining 20 overs.

Bermuda are 54/2 after 6 overs. Cummins is bowling well, Bhatti and Osinde are not. The spinners will have to do well for Canada to win this one.

I see Cricketeurope hasn't updated their scores for the Bermuda/Canada match

Yeah, not quite sure why. CricInfo is doing well with this match though. Lucky we have two sources to go by!

DOUBLE WICKET MAIDEN! Unbelievable in a Twentyone21 match! Sunil Dhaniram takes both Tucker's and Jones' wickets and Bermuda are struggling at 89/7 off 12 overs, with Mukuddem and Borden at the crease.

This can't be happening, not good at all. I'm still trying to get over the loss to ireland :(

I can't bear to watch this! aaggh!

It's over. Dhaniram is spectacular and spins his way to victory. Too bad there wasn't a 12th Bermudian batsman, or he may have picked up a hattrick at the end there. Bermuda 106 all out and Canada pick up their first win at the WCL. Bermuda are still looking for theirs.

Now we turn our attention to the Netherlands, trying to be the second team to squeak out a late victory with their tailenders. They need 29 runs from 24 balls, with 3 wickets in hand.

Another tight one between the Netherlands and Scotland!!!

A couple good overs leading up to the end, but two wickets falling during the last over. The Netherlands need 2 to tie, 3 to win off the last 2 balls and they are on their last wicket!

And it's over! Schiferli is bowled and Scotland win by 2 runs. It's not a hattrick, since one of the wickets was run out, but that's 3 wickets on consecutive balls!

Wow, what unbelieiveably terrible luck for Ireland!!!
They've lost 2 matches on the final ball!!!!!!
That's horrible. I really hope they're just trying to save up their good karma and their wins for the World Cup.

That's a big win for Canada. Great match from Dhaniram and Davison.

As for Netherlands/Scotland, geez, yet another one going right down to the very end! Wow, I wish this tournament was being televised. Sounds like it would thrilling viewing, even for fans who think Associate cricket is beneath them.

Back