Wearing helmet

Re: Wearing helmet

well i will stick with what i know and have been taught..... i'm used to watching the ball from the bowlers arm all the way into my gloves under my nose!

Stumped;405120 said:
well i will stick with what i know and have been taught..... i'm used to watching the ball from the bowlers arm all the way into my gloves under my nose!

That is until one day the ball gets above those gloves and into your nose. There's only so far you can reach up.

If you feel that you should wear a helmet wear one, but personally i open the batting for U17 A grade and i do not wear a helmet i have a good eye so i pick the short balls with ease, but like i said thats just me, like these guys said just keep wearing it in the nets and in games, you will eventually get used to it

Boris;405322 said:
That is until one day the ball gets above those gloves and into your nose. There's only so far you can reach up.

It depends how you have been taught, if i'm doing it correctly i wont be getting hit in the face anyway! plus you seem to be missing the fact i mentioned earlier.... i always keep with a Lid to quick bowlers!

Boris/Stumped

Once you're over 18, it's down to personal choice. Some people like the 'security' wearing a helmet offers, others prefer not to wear one for whatever reason. The main thing is that whichever side you fall on, you're comfortable when batting.

As for baseball helmets, well, I'm not convinced. Designed for a different type of ball, thrown at different speeds and at different trajectories. Batters only bat for very short periods of time (when compared to cricket) which again makes like for like comparisons hard. I used to make up hockey helmets (for both Ice and field hockey) - both designed with a similar purpose in mind but again, you wouldn't really wear one for baseball or cricket. I'm not saying that a cricket helmet is 100% perfect in it's design (neither is a baseball helmet) but at the moment they seem to work and have prevented any number of injuries.

Yes, the ball can dent the grill and it does still hurt if you wear one on the head. However, the way the ball pitches and the natural reaction of the batman means that it should only be the unlucky few that get hurt.

mas cambios;405462 said:
Boris/Stumped

Once you're over 18, it's down to personal choice. Some people like the 'security' wearing a helmet offers, others prefer not to wear one for whatever reason. The main thing is that whichever side you fall on, you're comfortable when batting.

As for baseball helmets, well, I'm not convinced. Designed for a different type of ball, thrown at different speeds and at different trajectories. Batters only bat for very short periods of time (when compared to cricket) which again makes like for like comparisons hard. I used to make up hockey helmets (for both Ice and field hockey) - both designed with a similar purpose in mind but again, you wouldn't really wear one for baseball or cricket. I'm not saying that a cricket helmet is 100% perfect in it's design (neither is a baseball helmet) but at the moment they seem to work and have prevented any number of injuries.

Yes, the ball can dent the grill and it does still hurt if you wear one on the head. However, the way the ball pitches and the natural reaction of the batman means that it should only be the unlucky few that get hurt.

I'm not saying an actual baseball helmet, but one designed for cricket.

Why do cricket helmets not have protection for the back base of the skull and behind the ears? Why, also, do they wobble on your head and at a fast speed are able to be pushed back and kick into your face/side of your head?

I've always wondered this and why a more baseball design (with grill) isn't used where the above isn't possible.

And I don't think it's that rare. I saw it twice in my last season playing. I saw one person end up in hospital after fracturing his skull after attempting to duck off a bowler that reaches 130 km/h and the ball flew just underneath and behind the helmet. The other copped one on the side of the grill just beneath the ear and it pushed back onto his head, making him a little woozy and also slicing open a nice gash.

I myself have been hit quite a few times, a lot in the nets though. I've had one just behind the ear, but not too fast, and it's not very fun.

Our pitches are quite a lot bouncier than everywhere else I've played, and also in our competition the amount of express (in club terms) bowlers is quite high, so balls tend to rise up on you long before you see them. My whole team, bar one, have been hit more than once, as I've just completed polling them.

I don't know what it's like in other areas without the fast, bouncy and hard pitches but I do feel the only really 'safe' place to get hit is right on the top of the head.

As an opener I had never used a helmet till I saw one of the opposition members get hit just above the eyebrows while trying to pull. I then switched to a baseball helmet as the fit is much better. The one i did find at sportsauthority came with a face mask attached to it. At the store i did see a lot of helmets (baseball) without the face mask and face masks being sold separately as well. Maybe an option to order the face mask from a website because a baseball helmet does feel a lot more secure than the cricket helmet.

Another piece of equipment that baseball easily outdoes cricket with is the catcher's face mask.

There are two bits, the helmet and the facemask and they can both be used seperately from one another. Brenden McCullum uses this idea already. Wicket keepers should use these more often as they offer so much more protection, yet are made with having very little of your view blocked. You don't really need the helmet as a keeper standing up, although if you wish to you could, some of the helmets are kind of like motorbike helmets in the protection they offer.

Even keeping to spinners has that element of danger, the top edge into the face, I've even heard of some funny stories of incompetent batsmen at club level hitting the keeper with the bat itself. Maybe even bat pads could make use of it, the cricket helmet simply blocks your view too much. If you've worn both you'll know what I mean.

The difference between America and Australia (or all cricket nations really) is the perception of masculinity. In Australia it's slowly changing, but how many years did it take to get batsmen to wear helmets in the first place? How many oldies slag off on the young ones wearing helmets still today? You could shoot a grid iron player and the bullet wouldn't get through the protective gear, yet they are still the most 'masculine' men by American standards.

McCullum gets teased about his wearing of a catcher's face mask, when in reality he's the one that should be praised. You can't play much cricket when you're in hospital or six feet under.

I play at a pretty low level and always wear a helmet, partly for my own confidence, but also because while not many bowlers bowl bouncers some are not good enough to avoid slipping in the odd accidental beamer.

leftnright;399320 said:
Hi All,

I am right handed batsman, with decent defensive technique and can play very well on the square and behind the wicket. Generally I go lower in the order 7th or 8th down to rotate strike to the main batsmen.

I never wore helmet during my batting. Generally for a short ball/bouncer when I notice it I sway away or take evasive action. Never got a awkward bounce that reached by head - till the chest level I have taken care of (I am about 5' 11" tall).
Recently I have seen a mate getting hit on the head from a ball rising from unexpected length. 10 stitches on forehead.

I am scared, started wearing helmet, but can balance head and more so I cant judge the ball outside the off stump which I used pick the length so easily with out the helment and dispatch it where I want to on the ground.

Any excercises or practice drill you can suggest that will get my sight right with a helmet (and a grill) on?

Thanks in anticipation

I think this is just a mental thing. If you see your mate hurt from a ball rearing out of a good length you sort of lose confidence -- it's sort of a like a team dynamic when a strong team member gets injured a team generally plays below capacity. I also think it doesn't help you have started wearing a helmet -- not only do you recognise your own fear, but then you facilitate it by wearing a helmet.

This for me intuitively leads to two things -- you don't get to the pitch of the ball because you just think about getting hit. And you reinforce that when you realise you've got a helmet on and you remember the reasons for why you have it on.

For me I have always seen an inability to judge the off-stump as not taking a positive step forward. You see it often against a bowling machine -- the coach tells the kid to play forward defence and edges it all over the place, and then tells him to straight drive and it's ok again.

Therefore don't get stuck on the crease. Get right forward, and react to the short ball. Or get right back and across and react to the really full delivery (though I have never gone back and across personally, and all attempts I've tried at it lead to poor timing :S ).

Back