What Can We Do For You?

Richard the Third

BigCricket Administrator
Guys - you are probably the busiest area of the site. What can we do to make your lives easier and help you to grow?

No idea to big/small/silly. I want feedback in order to make sure we keep you all coming back plus get new people using the site.

Richard, you've taken the plunge and gone all admin on us!

I'm not sure really, we're pretty self regulating on here, but it would definitely be good to have more people in this area making suggestions, asking questions and posting opinions and advice. We've already got a few blokes that know their subject - Tony M, Doctoran and Macca, but a pro Leggie who's name we recognise would be a good addition (You did say no idea too big). Other than that maybe get some of the internet experts to somehow promote the site in a way that you/we pick up more people, as we've discussed before the site is very Australian-centric, maybe even western-centric as there's very few people from the Asian parts of the world. I've encouraged a few people to join in recently via a legspin Facebook page and they've been chipping in and asking questions. I link to here from my blog as well and that may bring traffic?

Im sorry I haven't really got any suggestions but I think the reason that this forum is so busy is because of the complexity of leg spin combined with the fact that leg spinners seem more obsessed with their discipline than people in other areas of the game. Its just the nature of the topic.

@someblokecalleddave - would love a professional to come on but baby steps first I think. I have one or two ideas so will work on those and see where it leads.

Im sorry I haven't really got any suggestions but I think the reason that this forum is so busy is because of the complexity of leg spin combined with the fact that leg spinners seem more obsessed with their discipline than people in other areas of the game. Its just the nature of the topic.

Ben, I think we have to take some credit in that we post so often on here, that it comes up as one of the top 20 websites on the internet. The wrist spin in general thread has loads of views and contributions and I'm under the impression that it's these views and posts that keep it there and therefore an option amongst the top 10 or 20 options for the subject.

I'm going to sound like a winge and an overly critical asshole. However I only do this because I really like bigcricket and only wish to feel better as I use the website.

1) From my perspective I think the ability to post images onto the website without needing to go into another medium-- I am forced to use something like image-shack -- would be very handy. i.e. the insert image button only allows URLs.

2) Having to press "more options" which takes you to another page before you can preview your post is SO annoying.

3) I don't like the font size system. Why not just use what we all know -- use the Microsoft Word system.

4) Sign in is annoying. The button in the top right is not obvious, and the appearance of a new frame (a frame that is not exactly inviting).... annoying.

5) And I also don't particularly like the default font of everything. It's all very small, attempting to be edgy, but I almost feel a lack of displeasure just signing into the forum -- yes I really do like the old one much better. I think everything needs to be more simple or themed more to traditional cricket. It appears to me that the blue interface is an attempt to be modern. But in what way is cricket modern and technological -- the site just feels unwelcoming.

Thinking about it more carefully I think the leg spinner's forum is so popular because leg-spin is so difficult (as previously mentioned by another user). I think we all share pleasure in advising others on how to bowl. I suppose to use a platitude the potential of making one small difference is enough to feel we have made that difference. A free ability to give advice and take it would be enough to draw any cricket lover to bigcricket. Don't get in the way of allowing people experience the pleasure of journaling and of receiving/giving advice -- be simple.

Liking the facebook page you set up for spin bowling.

I didn't set it up, it was just there dormant and no-one was contributing to it until I kicked some life into, mostly it's me and a bloke called Adni who's from Egypt or Dubai who comment on there. There's something like 800 + people that have signed up to that page, but only about 4 or 5 ever comment, but it's never really a reciprocal process, hence the reason I direct them straight here if they start asking questions, saying that I can't do it on my own and that I'm not an expert, but I know a group of blokes who will give you some support etc......

The other thing that I do and Jim does too (he'd be a better option as he gets thousands of hits) is link your youtube channel and Youtube videos to this forum and again say to people 'There's not enough space here (On youtube) to respond to your points - but have a look here' and then direct them to Bigcricket.

One thing I have noticed is that despite the fact that there is so much activity on this forum it is rarely in front of the other forum 'Cricketweb' which seems to have loads of subscribers and a far more diverse crowd of people in terms of loads of representation from all countries, but they don't post, or if they do, it's done in a slightly patronising we're better than you - you're an arse kind of way. The strength of this section of the forum is the fact that for the most part it's genuinely helpful and people talk to each other with respect irrespective of whether they're 15 or 50.

Cricket World is a conundrum, as you say they have the numbers and diversity but it's not always a great place to post.

Would like to try something with youtube, not sure what or how it'll go but something will happen.

I've just added a message to my son's youtube video about bigcricket. Not sure if this is allowed by youtube but hopefully more traffic will be diverted here. It's the least I can do - our friends here have given us invaluable advice and helped my son develop his passion.
smile.png

I've just added a message to my son's youtube video about bigcricket. Not sure if this is allowed by youtube but hopefully more traffic will be diverted here. It's the least I can do - our friends here have given us invaluable advice and helped my son develop his passion.:)

Yeah youtubes quite clever in that you can't post a link in the comments, but on your own or his 'Channel' page you can put links. Or if you're making vids yourself you can put a link on the video using windows movie maker and such like.

The other thing we can all do is when we're looking around youtube as we all do, if you come across some bloke or kid out there that's posted a video of him bowling, go on to their 'Channel page' http://www.youtube.com/user/someblokecalleddave1?feature=mhum and invite them over to Big Cricket - leave them the link for the spin pages.

Like this bloke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfwEFIO7Ew&feature=feedf I've emailed him and given him the link to the spin threads/forum and hopefully he may be tempted.

Back