What do you hate about coaching?

What do you hate about coaching?

I've been doing a little bit of mentoring over the past few months and it struck me that some things really wind me up.

The main one is when people refuse to take things seriously or listen, I've lost count of the number of times that I've helped certain people only to have them make the same mistake in the next game then come back to me and moan, it really makes me consider if it's worth it at times.

Also,it gets me when people rock up early, and then muck around for 15 minutes. Kids doing it is one thing but when it's members of the senior team it really grates. I mean why not help me (and others) in getting things set up or do some warm ups, not just get in the way and whinge or try to spear the out field with stumps.

What annoys you?

Re: What do you hate about coaching?

i dont really coach but i know what your talking about. i know some jokers who dont improve one bit even after getting advice.

Its a part of coaching, if you cant hack the little tinkers ignoring you then dont do it :p

I coach under 11's and under 15's and i gotta say, though theres 4-5 years age differnce they're both similar.

They dont tend to listen to advice and tend to take the mick outa you, but at times you gotta know when to drill it in, if it means giving them 3 laps before then so be it ;) I mean, they wouldnt improve without direction would they, plus making them do laps is a great way to get them outa the way whilst you set something up!

I just tend to get on with it, if I moaned about it I'd never get any work done.

If you're finding that players are messing around maybe you need to structure the session differently. Have a rota so that get involved and help you set up before the practice.

Simbazz said:
Its a part of coaching, if you cant hack the little tinkers ignoring you then dont do it :p

Well, I only mean in a light hearted way. I love it really but we all need to whinge from time to time.

Back